Just bought our first Mac!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brett1203, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

Everything we have is Apple but when it came to computers we kept buying Windows Laptops, finally after having to buy 2 new ones over 5 years, we decided to go Mac!! We just picked up this shiny new Macbook Pro!! So excited, now just have to learn OS X, so used to Windows lol. But I know even though the price was high this laptop will outlast any PC Laptop we could buy.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

One question I have, I have setup Yahoo on the email app, is there not a way to "Select All" when trying to delete, etc like we can do with the iPad and iPhone?

4. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Congrats on your purchase! It'll take a bit to get used to it, but eventually you'll most likely like it. I don't really understand your question though. Do you mean selecting all of your mail at once? Command+A should do it, or selecting the first mail and scrolling to the second one and pressing it while pressing Shift should also work.

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

6. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

Yeah so instead of deleting one message at a time, you like on iOS can click a option to delete all messages in a folder at once, Ill try the Command A then, Thank you!!

7. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

8. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Glad to hear that you made the wise move to the Mac OS from Windows. On either platform, I would highly recommend simply abandoning local email client software (e.g. Outlook, Apple Mail, etc.) in favor of the Yahoo, Gmail, Microsoft web mail experiences.

Even a few years ago webmail was much hated by tech-savvy folks because the experience was horrible. However, now that very modern versions of major webmail interfaces exist, the experience is excellent. Therefore, if you want to continue to struggle with using Apple Mail, Outlook, or any other mail client locally, then go ahead. Doing so will ensure that you will have many, many headaches going forward. However, if you want a trouble-free and portable email experience then it's time to abandon local email client software like Apple Mail and just adopt the webmail interface.

The only consideration that you should make is if Yahoo has a method for backing up your email locally once in a while. Google has Google Takeout to do so but I'm not a Yahoo user and therefore don't know if they have a similar feature.

9. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I dunno, I always preferred to use an email client rather than the standard web-client. I also liked Apple Mail, it did everything I needed it to do.

10. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

You mean downloading the Yahoo Mail app for the Mac over using the email app that is already on here?

11. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

No, he meant using the web client (yahoo.com)

12. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

I was able to set up my wife as another user on here so we can switch between users as needed, But I have one question, It seems when I boot up it will only show my account or Guest to choose from at boot up, I figured now that she has been added, at boot up it would show both our accounts as options along with the guest. So every time we have to sign in as me and then change users after that? Seems odd to me.

13. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

I would have completely agreed with you garirry only a few years ago. I was a die-hard local mail client user that really hated web-clients. I have used nearly every decent IMAP and POP client over the years on Mac, Win, and Linux and finally got to the point where I was spending far too much time managing problems and incompatibilities with client software. Considering that in 2015 the majority of users use several devices to access several accounts for email, contacts, and calendar, the most portable and compatible solution is modern, standards-based HTML5 webmail clients.

The problem with local mail clients like Apple Mail is not completely Apple's fault (or Mozilla, or Microsoft's). The problem is that Google doesn't do completely standards-based IMAP, or calDAV, or cardDAV. It's not just email that's the issue, it's the complete package. I finally got fed up with one client on one platform misbehaving and corrupting my contacts or email on the server. And, even when it was all working well, an update to any client on any platform could then cause a major problem.

So, a few years ago I jumped ship, removed all the client software from my desktops and laptops, and embraced webmail. I've never looked back. It works flawlessly no matter where I am and from any OS, and I'm no longer worrying about my contacts or calendars being corrupted either. I do still use the iOS native mail, contacts, and calendar Apps because they have always been very reliable with all major providers.

14. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Automatic login is turned off? If not, turn it off. Disable the guest account, because it's pointless IMO. Not sure what the issue is, I don't really understand the problem well.
    Hmm, I see what you mean. But hey, it's still more convenient for most people, and for me it works very well, so I am really happy of using mail clients. They're not perfect, but they're good enough to be classified as a functional piece of software.

15. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

Yup auto login is off, I am just surprised it doesn't give the option at boot up, so my wife wouldn't have to log in as me then switch users from there :)

So far loving this thing and finding OSX great and I'm learning my way around.

16. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

You and your wife (as should all users) should indeed have separate accounts. If she is not showing up the reboot first, and then go to "System Preference" > "Users & groups" > "Login Options" and select "List of Users" under the "Display login window as" option. Both your accounts should then show up on the login screen.

17. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

19. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

I did that, still only shows me... Very odd

Attached Files:

20. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

btw, screenshot options: command-shift-3 will take a picture of your entire screen; command-shift-4 will let you drag over an area...and that will be your screenshot...

just as a test, log out of your account. log into your wife's. then reboot, see if she shows in the login window...

21. PlumMac macrumors newbie

Do you have FireVault enabled? Open System Preferences, Security&Privacy, FireVault.

FireVault (which encypts the startup disk) allows you to specify which users are allowed to "unlock" the setup disk when the computer boots; see if your wife's account is enabled to unlock the disk. You'll have to restart the computer after you enable her account, but her account should then show up when you boot the computer.

22. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

I just tried that, even logged out of my account before shutting down thinking maybe it just remembers the last logged in account, but even that way, still only boots up showing my account as the only choice. I wonder why this isn't working, I do appreciate everyone trying to help.

23. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

Let me try that real quick.

24. Brett1203, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015

Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

Thank you all so much for the help, I really do appreciate it!! The Fire Vault option fixed it, Who would have thought to go through all that just to get an account onto the boot screen lol.

25. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

I think I am all set and navigating my way and learning more every minute on this laptop, I am so glad I have made the switch from PC to MAC, So on that note one last thing and I know you will laugh at me for this one, But I can not for the life of me figure what this dang cord is for, can someone tell me because it does not obviously connect to the laptop and it doesn't seem to go with the regular power cord that goes to the laptop.

Attached Files: