Just bought the 2.4ghz mbp.. amazing~!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Oct 25, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Ok.. so my white macbook was working fine but using spaces 6 different spaces and multitasking + 23" ACD was getting a bit slow.. I finally plunked down for the 15" 2.4ghz mbp and all I can say is that its amazing..

The screen is MUCH better than the previous gen matte or the glossy led screen!

The keyboard is very solid and I love the tactile feel of it while being soft, expose and spaces launches so freakishly smooth (much smoother with no studdering as to the last gen mbp).

I know that I'd said that I would not buy the new mbp if it had an Nvidia but I'm ok with it, I'm sure they learned their lesson with the previous gen!

Either way I'm more than satisfied with my purchase! One thing to note is that the speakers on the new 15" mbp is surprisingly MUCH louder!

2. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

Congrats on the purchase, I'm ordering a new MacBook Pro soon.

3. MontrealMonger macrumors member

Do you find it difficult to adjust to the increase in size, switching over from your MB? I'm considering getting a MBP for the better screen and firewire but am worried that it may be too large to comfortably travel with, especially as I've gotten so used to going everywhere with my MB. What's your take on this so far? Is it a burden to have with you outside the house?

Congrats on the new purchase, btw!

4. consumedsoul macrumors regular

+1

5. wheelhot macrumors 68000

Sweet, at least we starting to get positive feedbacks on the new keyboard and displays.

Im sick of hearing people kept saying the new keyboard and glossy display is a deal breaker. Its nice to hear something different ;)

6. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

I'm kinda wondering the same thing.

7. Snowcat001 macrumors regular

I've ordered a mbp as well, it should be here in about two weeks.
    But I couldn't resist checking them out in a nearby store :)
    And I must say the screen looks very nice and the keyboard feels great.

8. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

I'm surprised so many people hate the keyboard. I really like it a lot.

9. Skyldig macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat. Unfortunately I can't tell you what I feel about it, untill my new MBP arrives in 2 weeks :(

Congrats on your purchase jjahshik32. I hope I'll get to be as happy as you some day in the near future ;)

10. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

I also went from MB to uniMBP, and couldn't be happier. The weight issue isn't even a factor. It's such a minor increase that I would be happy to deal with it since I have so much more computer now.

The size factor is also not really a factor, either. I compared my 13" bag to my new 15" bag, and it's got a bigger footprint but nothing that makes a difference while carrying the computer or using it on your lap.

One great difference is WOW! This thing is quiet! My MB would regularly spin the fan(s) during moderate computing and put out some roaring sound. The new uniMBP seems to run very efficiently and only spins up during hardcore 3D processing while using the 9600. I think the efficiency of aluminum versus plastic for heat transfer makes a big difference along with a bigger body to let heat dissipate through.

So, yes. I am indeed also enamored with my new uniMBP.

11. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Ditto; I like the keyboard as well. And it is baffling how quiet and cool it runs.

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I'm happy with my six month old MB, but sure like the look of the new
    laptops. I'm going to wait until next spring and the next revision.
    Hopefully I'll get 10.6 thrown in too.

13. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

That's a bit quick! Your laptop will last you for yearS if you treat it well.

14. deriko100 macrumors 6502

i would have gone with 2.8ghz way better investment.

15. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Coming from the mb I find the MBp much bulkier but I actually like the slight bulkiness because of the much more solid buil, this thing is built like a tank.

The days of uneven closed lids, warped lid/case,bottom warped cases are over!

I have a 15" and a 17" ilap and the old 15" mbp used to fit exactly on top of it 15" ilap, but the new mbp slightly maybe 1- 2 cm wider and rather the 17" ilap was a perfect fit just 1-2cm wider than the new mbp just to give you an idea.

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Are you going to give him the extra $800 then?

17. TheHoff macrumors 6502

It is a tool, not an investment.

Since they both offer the same expandability with RAM and hard drives, I don't think a mildly faster processor is going to keep someone from wanting to upgrade. Think of it... in two years are going to say "oh I'm satisfied with my 2.8ghz macbook, good thing I didn't get the 2.4... nevermind that the new books come with 64 gigs of RAM and a 1 TB SSD... that processor upgrade I overpaid for a few years ago is satisfying enough."

You're going to want to upgrade whether or not you get the 2.4 or the 2.8, right? You think you would hold off on upgrading because you have the 2.8 when the new ones will have way shinier and more exciting new features? It is almost better to get the cheaper one that meets your needs so you can upgrade in two years and not have it be as painful.

18. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

The good thing about the 2.4ghz model is that it uses a new P8600 with a 25w and the 2.5ghz and 2.6ghz uses the t series chipsets with 35watts.

19. akm3 macrumors 68020

I love the new MBP as well. I love the keyboard, but I also really liked the old keyboard (I would say the old keyboard probably looks nicer, but they are equally usable, for me at least)

I generally prefer matte, but don't require it, the screen is gorgeous, and the shinyness isn't an issue for me.

I liken it to driving while raining, if you focus on the rain drops on your windshield, it will drive you crazy (and you'll likely crash!) but if you just look past that to where you are heading, you don't even notice the rain. That is what the glossy is like. If you just spend all day focused on the reflection you'll hate it. Refocus your plane of vision to what is being displayed and you don't even notice it. At least me. :)

I love my new MBP!

20. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

I know this has already been answered but I agree with the poster above, Im a student so am often carrying it to / from uni and the library.
    The weight increase is barely noticable (I had a white MacBook now have the 2.4 late 08 MBP).
    You really do get used to the size very quickley, and despite all the apparent problems people have had I havnt had one of those noted (and I have checked closely for them all!)
    Also this thing is robust, at the moment I havn't found a MBP case that will fit the late 08 MBP due to its slightly larger foot print. My MBP is being carried around in my bag wrapped in a shamagh, much to my disgust I have knocked it 3 times now 1 or 2 have those have been fairly hard, it hasn't got a scratch! (Don't try it at home though!)

21. MontrealMonger macrumors member

That's very encouraging to read! When you're walking around with it, have you got books in your bag and other things as well? My biggest worry if I were to go the MBP route is that I'll end up leaving it at home more often than not because it will just become too tedious to carry with other things.

22. Loopy65 macrumors 6502a

Loopy65

I'm another one switching from the macbook to the 15" macbook Pro .. it's half a pound heavier than the macbook but don't really notice it and because they've done that clever rounded edge thing it looks less 'clunky' somehow!

I too have noticed two major differences and both have surprised me! The Pro is definitely quieter than my MacBook was and it is most definitely cooler running (looking too! lol) ..

I am loving this machine, it's a real joy to use (yeah, most Apple products are!) and the trackpad thing is fairly instinctive as it's so similar to the iPhone stuff ..

Very happy with this purchase .. just wish it could have cost a little less! :D

Loopy

23. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Congrats! Requesting some more impressions of the glossy screen! How good/bad is it?

24. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

+1

I haven't ordered my MBP yet, but I stopped at future shop to take a look yesterday...they are so nice. I did the same thing, you can choose to focus on the reflections, but if you look past them the screen is gorgeous!:D

25. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I love glossy screen. I rarely have any issue with reflection. Can't stop lovin' the poppin' colour! :D