just bought the high end 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lbautista23, May 20, 2011.

1. lbautista23 macrumors newbie

so i just purchased the newest high end 13" MBP from bestbuy. did i make the right decision? should have i gotten the low end 15"? i dont do gaming or do and type of video. just need internet, photos, and listening to music. its my first mac EVER. also should have i waited til summer to get a new mbp? since the new os lion will be announced and will be able to get a free upgrade or discounted? or will i still be able to get a discounted upgrade price?

2. simsaladimbamba

Seems so.

Even the MacBook can do this stuff. Unless you want more pixels, the 13" MB/Ps are fine.

Neither free nor discounted.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1156375

3. KwanMan macrumors regular

I think you chose the worst one, as in I think everyone will recommend either the low end 13" or the low end 15" as the spec difference between the two 13"s don't justify the price difference

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

big mistake.

jk. you are asking intelligent questions. it seems like you have plenty of knowledge. why did you buy this computer, and what do you think would make it a wrong decision?

i think for what you do, an mba or base model mbp would have been fine.

5. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Yup!

Def go back and get the low-end 15" = better computer and better resale value later on.

6. lbautista23 thread starter macrumors newbie

does the price difference justify the difference between the high end 13 vs low end 15? also sacrifice portability?

7. PT123 macrumors member

If in doubt, just return it and get the low end 13 inch...it's MORE than enough

8. lbautista23 thread starter macrumors newbie

and upgrade the ram?

9. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

I've had my MPB 13" i7 since early April and I love it. I'm very happy I bought the system I bought and have no regrets on resisting the 15". I don't even notice the screen size difference between this and my old 15.6 laptop.

Sounds like you're having a case of buyers remorse.

10. lbautista23 thread starter macrumors newbie

its a lot of money and i want to make sure i got the right none for me in the long run. i was thinking about keeping the one i bought and use the extra money i saved from not getting the 15 and buy a nice external monitor for home use and also upgrade the ram.

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Low end 13" or 15" is the best buy. Use the extra cash like you said to get RAM later or some other cool accessory. If you have a microcenter nearby, get the low end 13" for $999.

12. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

Can I say stick with the one you have bought. It's a great wee computer and for the money, a better buy than the MacBook, better made, better innards and, very portable. Yes, spend the money on a LCD screen as that will give you more screen size for home use, but keeping it light for taking out and about. May I suggest that you also, or alternatively, buy an external hard drive to make regular back ups too. You'll get a nice portable drive to take with the MacBook pro. The bigger screen is nice and useful but adds to the weight too when carrying about.

Cheers, Macjim.

13. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

if you are still a student or know someone who is i would return it there is speculation that the back to school sale could be coming up pretty soon maybe the beginning of next month. then you can get a free ipod touch. Also i hope you go the education discount at bestbuy.

14. Frost Hammer macrumors newbie

I got the same model as you just last month. At first i kinda went through a little buyers remorse too. Wanted the low end 15" but couldn't really justify the extra cash at the time.

I am really digging this mbp though, now i could not be happier with my purchase. I am holding out on getting an external drive (waiting to see the thunderbolt drives and the cost).

Congrats on your purchase!

15. PT123 macrumors member

Yes exactly. Trust me for your use, you will never know a difference if you take the base model instead.

16. gpat macrumors 6502a

For his use, I think a faster HDD would be better than 8GB of ram.

17. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Just enjoy it

Don't read any forum comments. Just enjoy it.

18. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I just bought the lower MBP. I think this model represents a good resale value, but you must buy what suits your needs. Everyone is different.

19. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Because of this thread and a few others I have change my buying decision from the high end 13 to the low end and use the savings for ram and ssd upgrades.

20. iAppleteer macrumors newbie

u should have got the low end 13" one. the price difference is waaaaaayyy too big, u should have got the low end one, and the money saved to be used for ram or hard drive/ssd or a monitor. if u still like ur i7 13" mbp, then dont change it.

21. colour, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011

colour macrumors regular

For what you want, low end would have been fine !

You would only get the 15" if you needed a the GPU for something like 3d / film / gaming or higher end stuff.

I have a high end 13" i7 and it works well for 3d / architectural apps and the adobe suite (ps illustrator indesign). For me 15" would have been better for the graphics but i want portability... and would rather buy a PC due to the apps i need to run.

NOTE: The screen size/resolution argument is flawed in my opinion, a laptop is designed for portability, if you wanted to use your laptop for long periods of time and need a high resolution you might as well invest in a monitor for a few hundred dollars and you will have a much better workflow and it will be much much better in terms of ergonomics and economically.

22. fingerman macrumors member

Last weekend I went to order a 13" MBP (due to 10% discount at Dixons.co.uk) quite a good spec etc but didn't do my homework fully and realised it didn't have dedicated graphics.

So cancelled the order and yesterday my shiney new 15" MBP (i7 500gb hdd) arrived and I'm so glad I changed the order

I know that the more I use it the more I'll push it and the i7 / dedicated graphics made the choice for me :)

23. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Why would you upgrade the RAM when the base model is more than capable for those simple tasks?

24. adztaylor macrumors 68000

15" would have been overkill for your needs. Low end model would be more than enough.