Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vengeful Poet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Hello, everyone. I'm new to MacRumors and I'd like to make this first post of mine an opportunity to get some opinions.

I've recently purchased/upgraded to an iPhone 3G, with the standard issue 2-year AT&T contract (which is fine by me as I'm part of a family plan; let's just say I'm paying far less than the usual $100 a month to use the phone).

The thing is great. It has made my life a great deal easier, et cetera, et cetera. I'm sure it has been said thousands of times before.

But now I hear mention of the next version of iPhone coming out in June. I'm looking for some suggestions on what to do: to return the 3G and wait 2~3 months, or to hang on to it.

Do you think the next iPhone will be priced similarly to the 3G? Will the battery life be better? How about this new graphics thing I've seen written in a few places?

MrGadget28

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2009
Just hold onto it because it's not official that there will be a new iPhone arriving. More rumors have been speculated that the only thing arriving in summer besides 3.0 was a reduced price for the iPhone 3G.

I read somewhere that it will be $100 for a NEW 8GB, $200 for a NEW 16GB and $300 for a NEW 32GB. But again...those are just rumors...

Just keep your 3G.

jmccullough108

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2008
St. Louis, MO
There has been new hardware speculation since last year when the 3G came out.

If you really are unhappy with the fact a new device might come out, and it may cost you quite a bit to upgrade, then return it.

If you are happy with the fact that you got a new iPhone 3G, and will still get the latest features of 3.0 (it's already been stated that the 3G will receive them all), then keep the iPhone, its a great device.

Good luck. :D

Tate

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2009
somewhere in Indiana
Well I just got my iPhone 3 weeks ago and often wonder the same thing but I think I'm just going to keep my 3g. I learn new stuff everyday with this phone. I still think about it from time to time but I think I'm just going to keep it. You just never know what is around the corner. Besides when 3.0 come out then I will have everything I want. LOL!
If you really like it just keep it you can't go wrong. It's an awsome phone. That's just my advice. :D

iTzChasE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
I would return it. I'm still holding onto my 2g iPhone. I know that the next iPhone will be amazing.... Hopefully.

I'm just wondering about the data plan and everything. I hope to god AT&T doesn't raise the price from 30 to 35/40. They better at least add some txt messaging. (I'm use to paying $20 and get 100 texts, while my mom has to pay $30 + $ for texting)

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
There is no proof there will be a new iPhone, but by all means return your useful phone and have no phone for 3 months, only to find out that "surprise, there isn't actually a new iPhone and the 3.0 software was actually just a software upgrade." On the other hand their might well be a new iPhone - but I wouldn't give up a phone I just bought based on a rumor without a single piece of evidence... Would you?

lillybeth

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
There is no proof there will be a new iPhone, but by all means return your useful phone and have no phone for 3 months, only to find out that "surprise, there isn't actually a new iPhone and the 3.0 software was actually just a software upgrade." On the other hand their might well be a new iPhone - but I wouldn't give up a phone I just bought based on a rumor without a single piece of evidence... Would you?

dont listen to this downer.. return your phone. there WILL be a new iphone

as i said before i am willing to make bets with people that their will be a new iphone...

there wasnt much of an upgrade with the 3g.... 3g. gps. and new look...

that means they will have MAJOR upgrades on this iphone .. the iphone everyone has been wanting...

and remember last year. when people said dont return the first gen.. that the 3g was just a rumor .. well they were wrong last time and wrong this time

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008

as i said before i am willing to make bets with people that their will be a new iphone...

that means they will have MAJOR upgrades on this iphone .. the iphone everyone has been wanting...

and remember last year. when people said dont return the first gen.. that the 3g was just a rumor .. well they were wrong last time and wrong this time

I take it back. lillybeth can guarantee there will be a new iPhone on the shelves in June, ready for you to buy. You better sell your phone right away!

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island

Sorry but I think that's wrong. There is not going to be major upgrades. We're talking processor and RAM bumps and probably changes to the camera. They aren't going to change the form factor. They aren't going to add a keyboard. Really, think about it- what else is there besides the camera and some spec bumps to change that isn't software?

The leap from the original iPhone to the 3G was all about evolution, I would expect the same with the next iteration.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Keep It

If there is in fact a new phone they will make everyone, with a iphone, eligible to get a new one,

rhs7787

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Looking at what these phones sell for on ebay I would just keep the 3g. When the new iphone comes out, if it has new features worth changing for, just sell it and buy the new one.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Keep it. You have it, you love it - just be happy. We're probably not looking at an annoucement until WWDC with availability a month later. You'll have months of enjoyment of your 3G, and then it'll feel new again when you get the 3.0 software.

northy014

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2008
Whether or not you do in the end return your iPhone, surely on a purchase that entails such a great expense, you should have done your research ahead of time. You could now be charged restocking fees, which just wastes your capital. And AT&T will charge you a contract cancellation fee.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
If you are happy with your iPhone - keep it!

The process of buying mobile phones is the same with cameras. Some people simply have to have the latest model, regardless if it's really going to benefit them and offer any real worthwhile advantages!

I understand that in May, in the UK, 02 is going to offer free phones with most of their conrtacts - obviously preparing to clear their stocks in readiness for the "new" model.

So what? If you are happy with what you've already got and it does all you want - just be happy and forget utopia! :)

dyeung

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
Sorry but I think that's wrong. There is not going to be major upgrades. We're talking processor and RAM bumps and probably changes to the camera. They aren't going to change the form factor. They aren't going to add a keyboard. Really, think about it- what else is there besides the camera and some spec bumps to change that isn't software?

The leap from the original iPhone to the 3G was all about evolution, I would expect the same with the next iteration.

You think a 'major upgrade' is defined by a change in form factor (i dont think we will see this because apple has said that the form will stay the same pretty much)

For myself i would easily define a camera, processor and ram upgrade as 'major'.

mattroman246

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
I just got a 3g in February, I'm not patient enough to wait. If it comes down to it I'll just add a line to my account to get the new one, no biggie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.