Just bought the new 17" released... Holy Crap!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimthegreek, Jun 12, 2009.

1. jimthegreek macrumors member

I had the previous uMBP 17" but sold it on eBay the week before WWDC.

All i have to say is, WOW! The screen is stunning under all lighting conditions so far compared to my previous model.

Just finished installing all of my apps and on to Bootcamp installing Windows 7 now.

I must say, THANK YOU APPLE! I'm in love all over again.

2. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Glossy or Matte?

3. jimthegreek thread starter macrumors member

Glossy. I was going to order the Matte this time around but the glossy is truly stunning to look at.

4. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

Wait, I wasn't aware they updated the 17" uMBP at WWDC....what's the difference between a pre-wwdc 17" uMBP and the new current one?

5. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Well it was updated with faster processors and bigger hard drives, but there was no mention of a new display...

6. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

I thought if the 15" was updated so was the 17"???

I just ordered a glossy myself...hope its money

7. jimthegreek thread starter macrumors member

I didn't say they did. I simply said I sold my older system before WWDC and bought the latest model, MC226LL/A. Its a huge improvement LCD wise from my older version, the MB604LL/A high-def screen. Processor and harddrive improvements were made silently I believe.

8. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Congrats on the MBP, I wasn't aware they had updated the screens on those either..but GJ that they have!

9. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Congrats! Just got my new 17" MBP today as well with a few other goodies :D The screen looks great and the updates they did to it make it worth the extra from the 15" MBP if size doesn't matter to you. Really in this thread it doesn't so enjoy to all!

10. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

Wow I wasn't aware they updated the screens. In any case, hope you enjoy your new purchase(I'm about to order a 17" soon too)

11. jimthegreek thread starter macrumors member

I dont know if they updated the screens, or if I just had a crappy LCD on the first, but the LCD on this new one is night and day difference.

12. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Matte or glossy? How does it look?

13. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Isn't there some model number on the display in the system info so that you can verify whether it's a brand new display or not?

14. bigcat macrumors 6502

I didn't see anything about the 17" during the keynote, I thought there was nothing new

15. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Yeah, usually they make a big deal about minor improvements. "LOOK GUYS! SD card slot! Isn't that amazing?!"

16. sharpblade1986 macrumors newbie

Can you please tell us your display manufacturer and model ?

System Prefs -> Displays -> Color > Open Profile -> 13
    Manufacturer and Model

Thanks!

17. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

It was up there on the screen but I'm not sure if Schiller talked about it... it got the same speed and capacity bumps as the other models (320 GB > 500 GB, 2.66/2.93 > 2.8/3.06), and $300 were shaved off the price.

18. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Glossy. I went in a few weeks ago and looked at the matte unit and as some have said, a funny build was installed on some and the screen had a bluish tint to it and really looked bad. So today when I went to the Apple store, I looked again and liked the glossy a bit better but I also asked about the matte issue.
    I was told that if it had problems and I could show them even after a fresh install of OSX that they would exchange it and there would not be any restocking fee because of the tint issue. I really didn't want to take the chance, drive 40 minutes out of my way just to install OSX to see if I really liked the display after all (my girlfriend has a new MB so I was used to the screen anyway).
    In the end I work in my basement in my art room with one glass block window and where I travel to doesn't make me nuts with reflections from a glossy screen so that's the route I had taken in the end. Also in the print factory I use to work in they had all glossy screens so it doesn't bug me like it does with others but I sympathize with those that can't cope with the glossy screens.
    I will say it's a difference coming from an iMac with a matte screen but a good difference none the less as photos look great with this resolution :)
    Hope this helps.

I'm glad I waited until I got back from a trip because I think my skull would have split seeing a price drop a week after I would have bought a 17" not to mention the other bumps in hardware, those are nice today :cool:

19. sharpblade1986 macrumors newbie

Tell us your screen manufacturer and model :)

20. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Jim and the other new owners, can you check if your new 17 unibody has the full 3gb SATA connection?

Apple symbol > more info > Serial-ATA tab on the left

TIA

21. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yep that's what I have. Now how does one check the screen number/vendor again and I can let those know what I have in this one :cool:

22. itsmed macrumors regular

itsmed

23. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

for reference, my 17 is a week 20, (so week of may 10, yep a month before wwdc, I got my old one replaced by applecare so I don't think I have any real reason to try to get it changed to the newest, i already installed a 500gb drive and the speed bump is not that big 2.66->2.8) the screen manufacturer is 9c98, display looks great to me, esp. over my old mid-2007 sr high res 17"

24. catdog02481 macrumors regular

catdog02481

Wise Choice my friend; i am enjoying the matte screen as well; it is superb; previously had the glossu which is very nice but the matte is the crispest, highest contrast led panel i have seen; the text looks like it's written on paper, instead of haveing that slightly smeared look with all the internal reflections.

My screen is a 09CAC and is super bright. Also it has a 3gb/s sata speed.

25. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

This from the Apple website on the newly released MBP's

"A display of brilliance.
    The moment you open your new MacBook Pro you’re greeted by glorious, full screen brightness. But that’s only one gleaming quality of the glossy LED-backlit widescreen display. It offers a 60 percent greater color gamut than previous generations for richer, more vibrant colors."

I played around with a 17" Matte at the Apple Store at Lenox Square tonight and it truly is awesome, the glossy screen never really bothered me and I never gave it a thought before but after looking at them side-by-side you can really see a difference, the matte is the way to go.

I was considering a refurb but may have to bite the bullet and buy new, the screen is just incredible.