Just bought unlocked iPhone 3G, few questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ayasinsk, Dec 7, 2010.

1. ayasinsk macrumors regular

I bought an unlocked iPhone 3G on craigslist. Cosmetically the phone looks great, however I had a few questions.

1. How do I enable multytasking? There is a picture background enabled, however I don't seem to get multitasking to work.

2. Battery seems to be running out quicker then it needs to be. I have been playing around with this phone for the past hours, web mostly, and lost about 20% battery. Is this normal?

3. There seems to be lag on this phone. App store seems slow, so is itunes store and safari browser. Also I'm typing on this iPhone right now and there is ba lag on the keyboard.

How do I fix these problems. And please be speciox if you can. I haven't use an iPhone in over a year.

2. ayasinsk thread starter macrumors regular

Forgot to mention that this phone is running OS 4.0.2

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The 3G with 4.+ will lag and be slow.
    If you enable native multitasking it will be worst than a turtle.
    I'd say downgrade to 3.1.3 if you dont care about some 4.0+ features.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

First and formost, unlocked can have two meanings. It can either be factory unlocked or unlocked by jailbreaking.

1) The iPhone 3G is not meant to run backgrounds or multitasking because of hardware limitations. If you have any of those two features enabled, your phone might be jailbroken with those settings installed.

2)Your battery seems perfectly fine.

3)Your phone is lagging probably because of the things you have installed on your phone if its jailbroken. If it isn't ... then I'm not sure.

Generally restoring your phone as new will fix these problems, but it will delete your jailbreak, your phone will be locked back to AT&T.

5. ayasinsk thread starter macrumors regular

This iPhone is unlocked through jailbraking. I might going to have to downgrade to os 3. Can somebody drop me a link on how to downgrade from 4.0.2? Or maybe I can just buy a 8th 3Gs and just resell this one.

If I do downgrade to 3.1.3 is my only solution for multitasking will be backgrounder?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can use backgrounder to multitask whatever apps you want on 3.1.3
    If you want to downgrade just grab the 3.1.3 ipsw for the 3G and hold shift or option on itunes and click restore.http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...00202.pbnrt/iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw It will let you select the ipsw you downloaded above.
    Then when it finishes and gives you an error just use tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery.
    But if you want to be on 4.+ firmware I'd stick with a 3GS or i4 cause those can handle the newer firmware alot better while the 3G will struggle.

7. ayasinsk thread starter macrumors regular

My problem with downgrading down to 3.1.3 is that all the new apps coming out aren't they for 4.0 and up? For instance I'm getting tmobile and I will heavily use google voice app and talkatone app. Aren't they all for 4.0 and higher? I'm just tempted to trade this 3g for a 3gs on craigslist plus some cash.

8. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

good luck with that.

as i understand it, not that many people will be willing to part ways with a 3GS for a 3G....

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, I hear you on that.
    Most new apps will require 4.0+

10. ayasinsk thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah prob. wont happen. My best bet I think is to resell my 3G and just buy a 3Gs.

11. jcia macrumors member

Resell 3G and get 3GS

Hi,

I would advice on getting the 3GS, I did the same, I sold my 3G and got the 3GS, but I didn't have to invest more, since I sold my 3G in Germany (higher price and in Euro) and bought a 3GS on Ebay on a trip to the US. Anyway it is much faster (of course) than the 3G and you can have all the iOS4 features.

If you decide to stay with the 3G, please do downgrade it to 3.1.3. I had mine on 4.0.2 for 2 weeks and it was dead slow, so I decide it to downgraded it. It runs pretty well on 3.1.3.

Good Luck!

12. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

1. Multitasking on the iPhone 3G will make the phone unuseable, it'll lag super hard. Should've bought the 3GS man

2.Its an old phone

3.See answer #2

13. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you get a 3GS, understand that you will need your SHSH blobs to downgrade or install an iOS that Apple is not signing for (right now, 4.2.1). Also, you will have to be especially careful about baseband upgrades; once your baseband is upgraded, you can't downgrade and you lose your unlock. If you're getting a software unlocked one, it's likely that it'll have blobs; however, you have to understand it may not.
    If you can afford it, buy a factory unlocked phone. This way, you only have to worry about the unlock.