just bought used 3g no data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by randykhb, Feb 28, 2011.

1. randykhb macrumors newbie

hey guys i just bought a used 3g off ebay. we are already with att but we don't have a data plan with them. we have data blocked from our phones so we don't get charged for internet use. can i just take the sim out of my blackjack and put it into the 3g iphone and not have to pay a data plan? or will i need to do more to avoid getting a data plan added to the bill? phone is unlocked btw

2. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i dont think at&t will let you activate any iphone with a data plan of some sort

3. ann713 macrumors 6502a

You'll have to pay the data plan no matter what. The only way around that is to put it in Airplane mode as an iPod. :p

4. forcetactic macrumors 6502

you can only go under the radar with iphone 2g. iphone 3g+ they will catch you eventually and add a data plan (whether it'd be one day to several months)

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

AT&T can't add data to pre-paid and the original iPhone. No matter what program you install, they will detect the phone and add the data plan.

6. randykhb thread starter macrumors newbie

ohh i read that people can use fake APN to avoid data plan? and since im already with att, im under the assumption that i won't need to activate anything. shouldn't i be able to just stick my sim in the phone and be good to go?

i did some searching on the forums and found this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=544486

will this method not work anymore?

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you have data blocked, and you put your SIM card in, nothing will happen. Remember, that is if you have it blocked it. There's a difference between not having a data plan and having data blocked.

Just stick your SIM into the phone. Don't bother jailbreaking or changing APN stuff. Just know that you will not be able to MMS without data.

8. randykhb thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it should be blocked since i can't currently recieve or send pics/vids or get online. but i will still be able to text correct?:)

9. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

+1

One of the lines on my account is set up this way. Data was already blocked. Removed SIM from old SE W580i and inserted into iPhone 3G and been using it that way for about 2 years now. We only pay $9.99 additional line charge for this line.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

My gf just got back from Thailand, so I gave her my old 3G which she's been using on AT&T PAYG, no data and no problems. Not sure how this would work if you're on a plan.

11. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

We had the data blocked as well, but this only worked for a few months. And then they added the data plan... They know what type of phone you are calling with every time you make a call unless you can somehow spoof the network. But I think that is illegal in the US.

12. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I think the person you replied to answered that "Just know that you will not be able to MMS without data."

Pretty sure MMS = texting (dunno, I don't text and I'm opposite of you, I want data but not texting. Mainly cause texting is not worth the prices they ask. If it were much cheaper I wouldn't mind).

13. aldo82 macrumors regular

mms is a combination of texting and data. It requires a data connection to send/receive the picture so if you have data blocled or switch of celular data then mms won't work.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like said above it doesn't matter if u have data blocked or any other hack. If you're on post paid AT&T account they will eventually detect you're using an iPhone without a data plan and will add it automatically. They do it to everyone but 2G iPhones.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Correct. You can send text messages (SMS) but not picture/video messages(MMS). Go to AT&T.com and see if you have "data opt out" under your line.
    You can still send "normal" text messages but not video/picture messages because those require data.
    AT&T considers "Data Opt Out" as a data plan, so if you have that on your account, AT&T won't touch anything. If you do not have a data plan (remember, Data opt out is a data plan according to AT&T), then they will eventually catch up with you.

16. randykhb thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i just checked our last bill and it says data opt out under services. so i should be good to go?:)

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    But even with data opt out me in the past and now my cousin last week got the text from AT&T that an iphone data plan has been added.
    So you might get away with it for a few weeks, month or how long they get till their system catches up.
    Dont be suprised when you get the text from AT&T though.

18. forcetactic macrumors 6502

To add on to this, it happened to me as well. I had data opt out + 3g/edge disabled and I got caught roughly 40 days later. 2nd time I tried, I got caught a week later

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

And after the 1st time you get caught once you pop in your sim again inside the iphone they seem to catch you right away and kinda looking for it till it happens.
    My cousin finally gave up and got the $15 plan:)