just broke iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maxwell floyd, May 18, 2009.

1. maxwell floyd macrumors newbie

i just broke my iphone, it fell to the ground and the screen shattered/ wont turn on. i had my entire life in it, any idea how to get a new one beside paying $600+ at the apple store?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I might be wrong, but I always thought that Apple let you buy a replacement iPhone for the subsidized price ($199/$299).

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Craigslist might be a good place to start looking for used ones. Ive also heard that you can find people that can transfer the data from the old phone to a new one if the memory isnt corrupted. Also, if you just broke the screen, you can replace the glass for a fraction of the cost of a new phone.

Im pretty sure you only get that price with an upgrade or a new contract. I might be mistaken. However, I think Apple lets you replace water damaged iPhones for the subsidized price.

4. maxwell floyd thread starter macrumors newbie

if the phone wont turn on isnt that a bad sign? if getting the glass will fix it, im golden

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Wow, it wont even turn on? I missed that when i read your post the first time. How high did you drop it from?

6. maxwell floyd thread starter macrumors newbie

it was maybe thrown to the ground in a fit of anger

7. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

:confused: :eek: :mad::eek: :mad: SHOCKED AND ANGERED!
    Why would you do that? Wow. That must have been one upseting phone call.
    I think maybe before you get a new iPhone, you should think about anger management.

8. maxwell floyd thread starter macrumors newbie

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow dude, if that was the case you'd probably better served to manage your anger better, perhaps this will be an expensive lesson, regarding your anger.

As for how $$ you'll need to spend, its up to the descrection of AT&T or apple to charge you the rebate price (and extend your contract another 2 years) or the full price. I've seen threads in various forums stating both. Since the problem was not a related to a defect on the machine but cause by you, there's no warranty to cover the expense.

Since you need a new one, and WWDC is around the corner, if you can wait a month, see what apple does at WWDC.

10. britboyj macrumors 6502a

You are in fact, mistaken.

Cracked screen or water-damaged phones may be replaced for $199.

11. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Huh, well i'll be damned.
    Do you have a link to that information?
    I'd like confirmation. I'm not calling you a liar. But I cant exactly go to Apple or ATT and say "I threw my phone on the ground, and I'd like the sudsidized price for a new one. What? You say thats not possible? Well, britboyj said you would."

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As my post stated, I've seen evidence to the contrary (and in some cases getting it for the rebate price).

I don't believe apple or AT&T has a policy of replacing iPhones at the rebate prices especially when there's evidence showing it was abused. Water damage is a little different in that apple has changed its tune regarding to charge but so far some people have lucked out in replacing their phones for 199 and others not.

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

14. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

but if you have a premier account you could get one for 199-299 from att, but it'll extend your contract some.

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

This is quite the interesting case... You sure it was you that broke the phone there Maxwell?

16. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

No doubt about that ! He said so.

What about selfcontrol ?

Get a new one at full price and smash it again.

17. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

And record it.
    And add silly Whiley Coyote sound effects. ;)

18. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

No video recording besides jailbroken ones right now....so i left that out :rolleyes:

19. chisox2005 macrumors newbie

in the same predicament

i think its possible to fix on your own if the colors arent bleeding and software seems to be working fine. if u dont want to do it urself go to missionrepair.com u can get it fixed for like 125$ maybe cheaper if u work a deal. i will end up doing this if my bob villa skills fail me. anyone know what the digitizer is

20. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Even if it were jail broken how could he record it on his iPhone that he was smashing? I meant record it through a video camera so I could see it. Also, I like cartoons, so add sounds effects.

21. aristobrat macrumors G5

22. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

Just kidding, but the "stuntman-perspective" must be awesome

So, Max, Smash some

23. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

MAX SSSMMMMAAAAAASSSSHHHH!!!!!!!!
    Hehe. Ok, I'm done.
    You know Max, you never did tell us what happened that caused you to go ballistic on your iPhone. Was it worth the stress release?

24. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

i guess it's the sound of it (last comment on that)

i am out

25. JDee macrumors 6502a

Sorry about the tragic death of your iPhone :(

I hope you get the problem sorted out soon - as said, if you have the money... wait till' WWDC - there may be a new iPhone there but definitely the iPhone 3.0 software (update) will be out.