Just broke up with my girlfriend.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by StephenCampbell, Oct 3, 2013.

1. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

As time passed I just didn't feel confident enough about her being the one I could see myself marrying one day. She was the most wonderful girlfriend I've ever had. I had to end it because it wasn't fair to her to keep dragging her along when my confidence in marriage potential was so low. She's very marriage minded and wants to meet the man she's going to marry.

I'm going to be feeling really down pretty soon (the breakup only just happened and I always feel okay in the few hours immediately ensuing) and seriously doubting my decision. I just feel like I want somebody who has a more similar background to mine and whose family is more compatible with my family. I can't name one flaw about her, not even a little one. She was any guys dream. I had no choice but to end it because I wasn't in it enough. I kept thinking about what it would be like to be single, and often when I'd see pretty girls on the street I'd wish I was single.

Perhaps something's wrong with me. But anyways, there it is.

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

step 1 - goto your local target, best buy, etc
    step 2 - goto the electronics dept
    step 3 - ask the worker to get you GTA V out of the locked case
    step 4 - show your ID and purchase
    step 5 - head home and fire up GTA V

assuming your are over 18 that is.

3. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

I broke up with a girl I've known for ~10 years because our schedules were opposite...with another underlying reason being that after three months I realized I would not want to marry her.

THIS.

4. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't have the hardware to run that, haha.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Then you did the right thing.

6. marklachance macrumors member

Check the song "Just broke up with my girlfriend" by the Smoking Popes.

7. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

watch Breaking Bad

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Target can help you there also.

9. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

You shouldn't feel guilty because you don't think you'll marry her, probably should've let the relationship run its course (unless it was already rocky).

If you're in a rush to find "the one" and get married though then that's another story.

10. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

I did let the relationship run its course for a while. I became more and more antsy and wanting to find someone I could see myself marrying, and I was also aware that she didn't want her time wasted.

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

How did she react?

12. chown33 macrumors 604

He doesn't have the "hardware" to run GTA V. :eek:

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more...

13. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

You did the right thing, for her and for you.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Although it sucks, you did the right thing for sure. At some point in life you should not invest time in people who you cannot see a future with. This goes for friends as well. Surround yourself with people of value and those who value you regardless of your strengths and weaknesses. You will date again and that girl may not be the one you will marry either. Eventually you will find the one you will marry and you will know.

You seem very level-headed, which is impressive to say the least. The heartache and loneliness that is about to hit you will be natural but you have to remind yourself that this was for the best.

15. musicjunky macrumors regular

Big props to you for knowing where you are in life and all that. But I'm sure she's crushed :cool:

16. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

+1 now that online is up & running

17. StephenCampbell, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the replies. The severe loneliness/regret hasn't sunk in yet, which might mean that it's going to be even more serious than I feared when it finally does..... I'm hoping it never will! :eek:

She reacted by crying. :( We had actually broken up for about 12 hours back in May, and then I regretted it the next day and told her I wanted to get back together, so we did. She cried basically all the time during those 12 hours that she wasn't sleeping...

This time she didn't seem quite as crushed, as she knew it was coming. Anyways, I really need to learn to break up with people when I'm clear it's not what I want. I shouldn't have gotten back together with her in May. Though the other side of it is that I did spare her a lot of misery. In the space she was in back in May, if we had stayed broken up she would have cried for weeks. Instead we got back together and I eased her into the idea that we're probably not gonna end up together over the course of a few months...

Edit: Within the last hour she posted a new personals ad in the same place where we met. I feel a lot better now.. that means she's already starting to move on and is able to imagine being with another guy!

18. kggf macrumors newbie

She probably got used to it the first time you broke up, and the second time was much more easer. But the big question is, where do you see you self in 10 years time. Perhaps you might eventually find out that she was the girl for you. A good relationship allways has its bad sides and arguments, but its the making up thats rewarding. I never saw myself with my wife, we fight all the time, but I love her to bits and with two children, everything is chaos, but I would not have it any other way.

There are times I wish I was single going out pulling all the time, but perhaps a long break is what you guys need.

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'd have broken up with my girlfriend for GTA V too. But I haven't had a girlfriend since GTA IV. :p

20. Kendo macrumors 68000

While it might seem like a good idea to become single, it is not easy to find love and it is one of the most wonderful things in the world to find a woman that will give her heart to you.

Hopefully you will find the one that you want but you may regret losing out on this one. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

21. Poly macrumors 6502

Strangely I never was into the heart a girl could give me. I always was into the "other things" a girl could "give" me(NOT a kid!)....maybe that's the reason why I'm single. And no, I don't get the "other thing" frequently either! :D
    (I'm 20years old)

22. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Why does anyone have to be so concerned with looking for "the one"? The topic creator wouldn't happen to be Ted Mosby from How I Met Your Mother?

23. pertusis1 macrumors 6502

find one keeper

Dating's exciting, I suppose, but the only really good thing about it is finding the really good one, grabbing her up, and making a lifetime of it... going on 12 years, five kids, and you couldn't pay me enough to go back to the dating game.

24. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I broke up with my gf 7 years ago and have never been happier since. I date around, do whatever I like, spend all the money on myself and still get laid.

25. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

So, WHY were you unhappy with her?

You DO know there are no perfect people out there, right? The older you get, the more drama and baggage youll have to put up with, especially if they are attractive.

Just wait till youre in your 30s...All the single girls that are still good looking have been through divorce and have a kid or two for YOU to raise...:rolleyes: