Just brought a MacBook but never used a MAC - Help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jamin100, Sep 22, 2008.

1. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Hi Guys,

Total newbie alert here!

I've just brought a 2nd hand macbook, here are the specs
    Macbook 2.1
    Core2Duo 2GHZ
    1GB RAM
    80GB HD

Paid £450
    Is this a good price?

I'm new to macs but not new to computing. I'm a network administrator so have loads of experiance with MS products but wanted to get used to using a Mac just incase i ever get a job where i Need to.

Anyway, can anyone recommend some applications that are usefull or ones that i should definatly get

Thanks

2. apull macrumors member

Must-have apps:

Web:
    Firefox

Open Source Office:
    NeoOffice

FTP:
    Filezilla
    FireFTP plugin for Firefox is also excellent, and works through a SOCKS proxy

IM:
    Adium

Virtualization:
    VirtualBox (Open source--not as fancy, but solid)
    VMWare Fusion (Now with DX9 support, but w/ a Macbook not really important)

Misc:
    Quicksilver (Launcher, make-life-simple tool)
    Caffeine (Lets you easily toggle the screen dimming/sleep function)
    Dropbox (Sync between computers, plus online access/backup, 2GB free)
    VLC (Multimedia player for just about everything)

If you're going to run Virtualization, definitely get 2GB of Ram or more, especially given that it's so cheap and so easy to install. (Even if you're not, running virtual machines, I still recommend it, you'll notice an improvement.)

If you're still working with PCs, Microsoft also has a RDP client for Mac that's free and works OK.

3. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Depends what you want to do. The built in software, such as iCal and Mail are really good, as well as iLife of course. I use mostly Adobe CS3 and MS Office 2004, but NeoOffice/Open Office is pretty good. There are loads of innovative programmers who write shareware and open source software. So if you ever get stuck trying to open a file or need to convert a file to a different format chances are there will be a free piece of software available to do it. For webcam chatting with Windows users I use SightSpeed. Check out MAMP for running a local server and FirstEdge/MYOB for accounts.

4. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies.

I will definatly be running VMware on the macbook as i have several test labs setup on a external HD which i use for MSCE work..

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you run VMWare, you need enough memory for normal MacOS X operation, plus enough memory for normal Windows operation, so with 1 GB only you won't be happy. But RAM is so cheap at the moment, I'd recommend just buying 4 GB. It is very easy to add to the MacBook. (Check out www.crucial.com to make sure that your MacBook model can handle 4 GB; but it looks like a newer model so it should).

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

7. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol... sorry :p
    Thanks for the links

Yeh i'm going to see what type i need and if it'll take 4GB then i'll upgrade it to that.

Not to bothered about the 80GB hard drive as I have a NAS box at home where all my stuff is stored and a few portable USB drives should i need any quick dirty storage

8. wblb macrumors newbie

If you have a 2.1 Macbook it does not matter how much RAM you install, it will not use more than 3GB of it. I suggest you to buy one 2GB module and if your macbook has 2 512mb modules instead of a single 1GB module take them out and get a 1GB module too.

9. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

10. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Me thinks the proud new owner might be in the UK.......

2GB is ok for VMWare fusion and XP - 3GB is better

PCWorld have 2GB pc5300 chips at the moment for £16-17 each so one of them and one of the 512MB chips would give you 2.5GB......

11. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

Oh OK , i always get 4G for my next mac

12. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help guys.
    I am in the UK and it is a MacBook 2.1. I'll have a look around but will definatly get some more ram. Would it be better to go for 3GB RAM over 2.5GB? As the MB already has 2 x 512 in it?

Also how did i do on the price?
    Its in immaculate condition with lepoard CD's and a apple case..

13. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

Not sure will be selling my 1 month old 2.1 with Apple care for about 699.00 when the new one comeout and I like them.

14. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Not true. The 2.1 GHz (current generation) MacBook supports 4GB, but the 2.16GHz (the last generation) MacBook doesn't.

15. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Is it a MacBook 2.1GHz or a MacBook 2,1

Go to Apple menu>about this Mac>more info and the second line is the model identifier....is it 2,1 or a 4,1 ?

Price is fine - but if you got Leopard discs it may well be a 4,1 (takes 4GB RAM) and you got a big bargain. If it is a 2,1 then it is still fairly cheap (for UK).
    MacBooks don't depreciate much over a couple of years....

Tell us more and we will all help you !!!

16. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its definatly a 2,1
    I only got it last night (from eBay) and so far i'm really pleased with it. I've even been able to get my three USB mobile broadband dongle to work in it :)

17. apull macrumors member

don't get 3, or 2.5GB. buy 4gb, it's not much more expensive.

your computer won't use it all, but it WILL use it in dual channel mode, which could boost performance of the ram by 8-10%.

matched pairs of memory are always the best way to go.

18. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

just another thought . . .
    Do i need AV / Firewall software ?

19. logana macrumors 65816

logana

No - and never install anything that begins with the word Norton on a Mac !!!!

20. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

21. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

Presumably this ram should work?
    Is this a good price for the UK ?

Link

22. logana macrumors 65816

logana

but this is even cheaper - especially if in stock near you - collect from store option

http://www.pcworld.co.uk:80/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0509589039.1222258398@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfadeffdhllhfcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=670411&category_oid=

Dabs product is fine but when you add delivery probably twice the price of the PCWorld memory (and this coming from somebody who detests PCWorld....)

PC5300 generic memory is fine in MacBooks

23. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

That is cheaper. Thanks for the link. My local store has some in stock too.. I may have to take a trip down tonight :)

24. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

This piece of advice extends to PCs as well. Before I joined the Mac world, I avoided Norton Antivirus like the plague, and still do.

The only Symantec product I use is pcAnywhere-- and then only when I have to, for my job.