Just brought an 18 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PVDHell, Feb 10, 2019.

1. PVDHell macrumors newbie

I picked up a 15” top spec (baseline, no extras, so i7, 512GB, 16GB RAM, and the 560x graphics card. Plan on dabbling in video editing.

Any accessories I should be looking at? Case recommendations etc?

I’m super excited about this computer.

2. SDColorado macrumors 68040

SDColorado

I would definitely recommend a USB-C hub or dock of some kind if you want to be able to plug in more than just USB-C devices. I have one of these Satechi type-c Pro hubs, but there are a lot of options from various manufacturers.

Congratulations on your new MacBook Pro!

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

4. Ruskes macrumors regular

Ruskes

Before you get shocked, check the build in camera quality.

5. lwilliams macrumors 6502

lwilliams

Congrats. I got mine, same specs, 15 days ago. LOVE IT.

Get some extra, longer, USB-C charging cables.....they do NOT have to be Apple. Get some dongles.......USB-C to LAN, USB-C to USB 3, USB-C to Lightnng.

I don't use the built-in camera....didn't on my last MacBook.....haven't checked that.

6. PVDHell thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I have no interest or need for the built in camera. I use a GoPro to make MTB edits, hoping to up my game a bit there.

Thanks for the advice on the connectors, I appreciate that.

7. bevsb2 macrumors 68000

Congratulations on your new MacBook Pro. I have the same model and love it! I got it at launch and it has been great - no issues.

8. zchrykng macrumors member

zchrykng

I recommend a case of compressed air and rubber gloves to maybe keep the keyboard from failing.

9. Painter2002 macrumors 6502a

Painter2002

Congrats on your new MacBook Pro! They are really nice machines, and should serve you well.

Definitely I’d invest in a good USB-C hub by Satechi or Hyper, or a Thunderbolt 3 dock like the Caldigit TS3+. This will help you with any legacy USB drives or accessories you may have, and allow you to connect up to a quality monitor or monitors if you wish.

10. Ruskes macrumors regular

Ruskes

Good one :)
    no rubber gloves needed but got $6 transparent key board cover to help keep the dirt away and some minor liquid spills.

11. zchrykng macrumors member

zchrykng

Sadly, I'm not entirely joking. My 2018 is the worst laptop I've ever owned bar none.

12. Ruskes macrumors regular

Ruskes

I know, but the keyboards are exposed to highest misuses and I was not joking with the transparent cover.
    . upload_2019-2-10_21-45-42.png

13. zchrykng macrumors member

zchrykng

I think I would rather drive to the Apple store and chuck my laptop at one of the "geniuses" and go buy a Microsoft/Lenovo machine than use one of those keyboard covers.

14. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Congrats on your new baby. I hope it works out well for you. I do love the look of the MBP.

That's what I did :eek: :) (though I ordered it online)

16. Jaekae macrumors 6502a

Return it and get a vega gpu if you do video editing, for example the vega 20 have double performance of your gpu in premiere

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Sorry but I have to call out obvious BS here. I have one for work and they're great machines. I get that it's trendy to hate Apple but calling it "the worst laptop you've ever owned" is nonsense and you know it.

18. mdnz macrumors 6502

Actually I also agree with him. I sent mine back three times because of speaker problems. And that's just one issue with this model amongst the many with this model (flex cable breaking, T2 panics, keyboard issues) . All my previous laptops at least worked properly.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It BS because you don't have a problem but so many others do?

It's great that you have a functioning machine, and I mean that, but for many people, that's not the case.

Its trendy, because of the keyboard failures, coil whine, speaker crackle, T2 Bridge OS crashes, and now Flexgate. I think people are frustrated at spending a boatload of money only have these issues.

That's someone's opinion and I hold that opinion. You may disagree but there's no denying that this laptop seems to have problem after problem

20. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I have to agree in part, I do think that it has become trendy and popular to hate on Apple, places like Forbes and some Youtubers have done so for a while now. That's not to say that Apple haven't had their issues, they clearly do and they need to sort them out.

However I can see how opinion get's skewed, when you look at forums like this one and see people posting about problem after problem it does look really bad! however what we have to remember is that it may not be the general consensus, for example if Apple sold 30 million Mac's, how many of them have had issues?

I have been buying Apple products for many years now, in that whole time the only problem I have ever had is with my 2017 iPad Pro which was out of warranty and Apple did send me a brand new 2017 iPad Pro (after some complaining and email to Tim Cook and Phil Schiller).

I'm not trying to defend or stick up for Apple with this post, I'm trying to give some perspective. I think it has become cool to find issues with Apple products but I also think Apple don't always help themselves especially just lately.

It will be interesting to see how the 3rd gen keyboard is helping or not with the issues that the butterfly keyboard has had. Apple haven't added the 3rd gen yet, so maybe the numbers are not as bad.

21. zchrykng macrumors member

zchrykng

Unless you somehow know all the computers I've ever owned and what I thought of them, I would kindly ask you to resist commenting on what I "know".

I never had a laptop with a keyboard this bad, and that is before we start talking about reliability. Exactly zero of my previous laptops have had keyboard problems. And I wouldn't consider myself an Apple "hater" since all of my personal devices are made by Apple, heck, the only reason we are having this conversation is because I like macOS so much I took the risk on the new laptops.

22. windowstomac macrumors 6502

Same, same and same.

23. LeeW macrumors 6502

LeeW

If there is anything you can be sure of on MacRumors these days, it's that you will not be able to have the opportunity to create a thread about your new MBP without having it polluted with other peoples woes.

Sure we all know there are issues, but if someone buys it and is happy knowing the risks, let them enjoy their moment. Believe it or not, there are plenty of people out there that bought the 2016 unit on launch and never had an issue.

24. windowstomac macrumors 6502

I spent over £2000 after much deliberation and was happy despite knowing the risks. For six weeks. Then my business and livelihood was disrupted, as much by Apple's slow aftercare as by the issues with the machine itself.

I enjoyed my moment but the last couple of weeks have been very stressful. All I'd say is if you depend on a 2016 or later MBP for your income to have a backup machine you can quickly switch to.

25. LeeW macrumors 6502

LeeW

Did you heed your own advice?

I assume not if it was disrupted and your comment regarding slow aftercare. If your livelihood depends on having a functional system in whatever form that is, as does mine, then having a backup is business 101. You never gamble on a system not breaking, nor do you rely on or assume aftercare at any company will be speedy enough for your needs.