Just called AT&T... (fam plan info)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oclor, Jun 10, 2008.

1. oclor macrumors regular

I was very confused because there didn't seem to be solid info about plans and what's included in them. Here's what I found out about the family plan:

SMS NOT included. $5/m for 200 (each line), $10/m for 400 (each line), $30/m unlimited (for all lines up to 5).

$30/m data plan is for one line only. So each line has to pay $30/m for the data plan if they want it.

They confirmed the following which I found on ZD net (note that ZD net says 200 SMS included, but that is NOT true):

$69.99 – 700 shared minutes
    $89.99 – 1,400 shared minutes
    $109.99 – 2,100 shared minutes
    $149.99 – 3,000 shared minutes
    $199.99 – unlimited shared minutes

2. mntentman macrumors regular

All this info is on the AT&T website. It doesn't say iPhone, but iPhone is being treated just like any other smartphone. Family plan rates the same, data and text rates the same.

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

So that would be an extra $40 a month on the iPhone line of a family plan, with just the data and no texts?

4. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

does the $5 for 200 sms include unlimited mobile to mobile or is that $5 more?

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I believe that would be an additional $5.

6. sorrowharvester macrumors newbie

I believe that all AT&T plans INCLUDE mobile-mobile, period. Right?

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

So for $30/mo you can have unlimited text for all lines of your family plan? Not just "mobile-to-mobile" but truly unlimited text?

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Nope. $5 extra. So, $10 for 200 messages + unlimited in-messaging.

9. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Do they? Only for calling?

10. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Is unlimited in messaging just for people who have AT&T? Like it would be free to text other AT&T customers?

11. dumbduck macrumors newbie

New contract?

Will the new iPhone plans need a new contract or can anyone with an existing AT&T contract just buy a data plan and use their old contract (like with the original iPhone)?

12. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

So for a family plan, you're looking at:

Family plan voice rates (dollar amount varies) + Data plan ($29.99) + SMS (min $5) = at least $35 added on to your family plan of choice.

13. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I think you are forced to buy the new $30 data plan or else you don't get the phone.

14. sorrowharvester macrumors newbie

Sorry, yes, I misread... Mobile to Mobile CALLING.

15. dumbduck macrumors newbie

I meant can you use the same voice plan (not an iphone voice plan) and just buy the $30 data plan? Or will AT&T force 3G iPhone users to terminate their old contracts, (again, not iphone contracts) pay a bunch of fees, and then have to buy a really expensive one?

16. oclor thread starter macrumors regular

You have to get a voice plan. But I don't think you are required to get a data plan. That would just be stupid. Anyways, I just found out that AT&T doesn't even have 3G anywhere in Iowa, so F all this.

Seriously, people who were bitching about the iPhone not having 3G should be slapped in the face 87 times. 3G is offered in like 100 cities. That is ridiculous. I guess I won't be getting an iPhone after all. What a bummer!

17. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

You can always try and purchase a 2G iPhone now. Any store that has them will continue to sell them.

18. dumbduck macrumors newbie

Is AT&T going to upgrade their 3G services to the entire country in the near future? (by the way oclor 3G is in 13000 cities, but you were right about it not being in iowa)

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So for my wife and I to each have iPhones with texting, we're talking about $140 per month?

That's more than I pay for cable TV, cable internet, DVR service, and a land-line all put together. Oh, and that's ignoring the taxes, which are not insignificant.

Doesn't that comparison seem just a little bit insane?

20. kerotab macrumors member

kerotab

I'd like to know too! All I need is the data plan. My current voice plan and text messaging plan (Since 2004) are much better than what's out there now. I've got 1000 text messages for $10! Now it's $10 for 400 text messages? Are you kidding?!?!?! I'd like to not give that up =)

21. pruhawk macrumors member

5 iPhone family plan

If I follow this correctly, to move from my Sprint family plan

it will cost me $995 for 5 iPhone + tax

Service (1400 shared min or almost 300 min a month each) would be $119/mo,
    unlimited msg an additional $30/mo, and data service for 5 iPhones an extra $150/mo (or a dollar more that the entire plan without the data component) plus all of the additional fees, taxes, tariffs, whatevers.

Great phone, but this is a game I can't play at this time.

22. youashwag macrumors regular

is the GPS feature part of the data plan or is it part of the voice plan?bc im thinking about just getting he voice plan alone.

23. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You can't just get the voice. You must get data to activate an iPhone.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Neither. GPS is a free service.

What you might have to pay for is software. There's online Google maps, but if you want something more refined for direction-giving, you might have to buy a program like the one Tom Tom is talking about selling.

25. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

In the U.S. with AT&T the data plan is required. The lowest plan (per month) is $69.99. That's 450 minutes, unlimited data and no SMS.

This is the same rate as other AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint smartphone voice/data plans. It is $10 cheaper than Verizon's voice/data plans.

The first iPhone data rates were a good deal, this is simply the standard deal.