Just called Sprint... apparently the entire East Coast is having a problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by docgerrard, Oct 23, 2011.

1. docgerrard macrumors 6502

I told her about slow data speeds and she said that they are having problems on the east coast and are working on fixing it.

I then had her open up a ticket in my area and she said she would follow up with me on wednesday.

They are nice... whether or not it is a good network is a different question.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

3. Millionin20s macrumors regular

Sprint's customer service is excellent.
    Network needs maintenance and upgrades. Sigh.

4. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Apparently some said the west coast is having problems in another thread. So is their entire network the problem?! Think so! I'm sick of my 0.02-.04 speed!

5. kumquat macrumors regular

kumquat

I'm a West Coast Sprinter. The App Store was stalling out earlier, but I haven't had any other problems...besides lack of battery life.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I've no 3G at home and I usually do.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think the App Store was having issues earlier. It was not working on my MBP.

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Sprint is a nice small company, much like Nextel when Sprint bought them. But, when it comes to network coverage and strength they don't compare to ATT or VZ. And, their prices aren't much cheaper either. Sure, you can save $10 a month but is it worth not having decent coverage 50% of the time?

9. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

This is the first time in years I've ever had a coverage issue.

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Every day that passes will tax Sprints network harder & harder. I doubt they will be able to carry the load if they sell a high volume of iPhones. I hope they make it, but I am concerned.

11. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Actually Sprint coverage is better than AT&T and I haven't experienced a dropped call in months. I've stopped checking my speed and just use the phone like I normally would and it's been working fine for me. Occasionally I have to wait a few seconds for a page to load but nothing outrages. Any app I use that has to connect to the Internet also works fine. I've been checking scores on the NFL app all day without any issues.

12. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Blanket statements in regards to cell coverage don't work. What works well for you where you live/travel isn't the same for everybody.

13. kumquat macrumors regular

kumquat

I've had Sprint since '98, live in LA and NYC and I drive all over the country and back and upside down on a fairly regular basis, often on back roads, and can count on one hand the number of times I've not had service. Some of those mountain areas will throw me into roaming, but other than that and few (and, really, very, very, very few in 13 years) random dead spots I've always gotten excellent coverage.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The influx of iPhones on Sprint is going to give Sprint a run for their money. Hopefully they'll sort this out at some point.

15. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

They may have to speed there lte network to off load some of there traffic.

16. neile45 macrumors regular

I really don't get this. Maybe I'm lucky, but except for day 1, I have had no problems.

17. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

You definitely are lucky. My calls are crystal clear with no problems at all, my messages all go through, etc.

Even in terms of data, USUALLY pandora and websites load at good speeds.

Its just video and downloading apps that is nearly impossible to do.

18. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Please note, my current network issues aren't isolated to my iPhone, my Evo is also doing the same thing.

19. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks verwon, that was actually a big concern of mine. I didn't know if I should return my iPhone for an android bc before last week I had an android with pretty good data speeds, and now my iPhone has horrible speeds.

20. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Welcome!

I was wondering about it, so I booted the Evo up and have been checking it for the past few days, since it's still activated on another line and it's also sucking, constantly.

21. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Did not have any issues on either of my "non-iPhone" smartphones on Sprint network on East coast. Could this be specific to iPhone ?

22. Bigchris macrumors member

I've been with Sprint for about 13 yrs, and travel all over the U.S without ever having a problem with service. When I had my EVO speeds were great on the phone and when I tethered to my MacBook too. Since getting the iPhone 4s the 1st day I think Sprint took a huge hit to there system and caused speeds to slow a lot, at least for me. Since then i haven't had any problems and speeds are back up and running fine, I do notice problems when accessing the app store though randomly though.

23. akira2501 macrumors regular

the iPhone will

break sprint. My att speed was like 10 times as fast. I switched just because of price. Having regrets, but now its too late. (lost my unlimited data with att) At least I'm saving 10 bucks a month, and I honestly wifi is just about everywhere nowadays anyway, McDz, starbucks, airports, etc.... and wherever i can't stream i can rely on the 32 gigs.

24. morningsong macrumors member

morningsong

With ATT, my phone never got a signal in my apartment...always dropped calls and when I left my house I would have 4 new messages and the phone never even rang. Just awful. Data was always pretty good when I left my house, but still got a lot of dropped calls.

I switched from ATT to Sprint last Monday. Through work I carry a Blackberry which always got a clear phone signal in my apt so I figured it was a no brainer. Got my iPhone and then I started getting some strange issues I never had on my ATT 3GS. The battery gets drained in less than 5 hours if I leave wifi on. Terrible. Without wifi, you can't load a simple page, anywhere. I drained 10% battery life in 10 minutes trying to search for something. The kicker...I get an awesome phone signal in my house.

It's a shame Sprint's network doesn't work half as good as ATT, I would consider it even because their phone actually works. The battery drain is peculiar, not sure if it's just looking for the signal or if it's inherent in the 4S design.

Not sure what to do. Sprint said I have 14 days to return if I don't like them. But am I still under a 2 year contract? Guess it's time to read all that stuff I signed..

If I'm free, I may try Verizon. Blah.

25. mcruzader macrumors regular

Yeah, I am kinda in the same boat. I ordered 3 iPhone 4S and got them on the 14th, at first I didn't get good 3g coverage and when I did it was sloooooooow, so I walked into an ATT kiosk grabbed the demo iPhone 4S and ran a couple of speed tests, ended buying 3 iPhone 4S there, going to return the Sprint one tomorrow. It really is a shame that the network is so slow compared to ATT, but oh well.