Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
Ordered at 8:03am on Saturday my 64GB Space Grey Plus, received email 8:04am.

Then discovered I could reserve for in-store pickup. This suits me as I literally walk past the Birmingham Bullring store twice a day, don't have to ask to work from home, waiting all day for the courier, have it go missing/delivered elsewhere etc.

So although this model wasn't the most sought after, hopefully this will let someone move up the queue and get theirs on release day.

Let's hope my reservation holds up now!

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
Ordered at 8:03am on Saturday my 64GB Space Grey Plus, received email 8:04am.

Then discovered I could reserve for in-store pickup. This suits me as I literally walk past the Birmingham Bullring store twice a day, don't have to ask to work from home, waiting all day for the courier, have it go missing/delivered elsewhere etc.

So although this model wasn't the most sought after, hopefully this will let someone move up the queue and get theirs on release day.

Let's hope my reservation holds up now!
I did the exact same thing so the in store option wasn't available a 3am.

Whtchdr

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
The stores will be crazy busy that morning, and even though you have a reservation, I doubt you are the only one with a "1030" appointment. I have a feeling it won't be a simple pop in and out affair. I'd rather sit at home on my couch and wait for the FedEx guy.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The stores will be crazy busy that morning, and even though you have a reservation, I doubt you are the only one with a "1030" appointment. I have a feeling it won't be a simple pop in and out affair. I'd rather sit at home on my couch and wait for the FedEx guy.

Agreed. There is probably 20-30 reservations per time slot. It's convenient, but I would be shocked if anyone is in and out in less than 45 minutes.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

This, that's traditionally what I have done. Either have someone there to sign for my order and let me know when it comes. Or take a pto day, and wait myself for the phone. No crowds, just the anxious feeling of what time will he get here? lol.

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
FedEx may be too busy on 25th and end up delivering the package next day.

Macsidia

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2015
UK
I cancelled my order too, But that was only to change from the plus to the regular 6s.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The thing about canceling is that you set yourself back in the queue, and in the fact that the apple store will be crazy busy, I personally would avoid the place but that's just me.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I cancelled my order too, But that was only to change from the plus to the regular 6s.

it's been UPS the past few releases.... and there have only been a very few cases of them just not delivering on time... most issues were people not being home when they attempted delivery....

Reactions: dreamwife

Whtchdr

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
it's been UPS the past few releases.... and there have only been a very few cases of them just not delivering on time... most issues were people not being home when they attempted delivery....
I mentioned FedEx since I ordered mine from Verizon, and they have always delivered on time. Only downside with either one is having to be home all day to sign for the package. The past couple of years I have waited in line all night long outside an Apple Store, and didn't get home until noon, so I'm definitely looking forward to relaxing on a couch instead of a lawn chair.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
Agreed. There is probably 20-30 reservations per time slot. It's convenient, but I would be shocked if anyone is in and out in less than 45 minutes.

Yup. They gave 30 Minute windows for this crap. If that doesn't say: "be prepared to spend a trademark 1 + 1/2 hours at the Apple store for something frivolous like a 15 min genius bar appt" I don't know what does.

That's why I purposely made my appointment at 2 or 3 in the afternoon - I figured the staff would have ironed out anything they could iron out by then.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
FedEx may be too busy on 25th and end up delivering the package next day.

I would bet on UPS anyday. Never have failed me getting my iPhone. FedEx might also help but UPS has been the gold standard. You could see a later in the day delivery if it is going to a residential address as they can deliver up to and even past 8pm on residential. My UPS guy delivers to my office early am so I am set. He know that he'll or high water he better get that in my hands or I would call him on his cell!

troubleonline

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
I did the same or at least intend to do so - My preference was to collect in store but I panic ordered at 8.04am as had never done a store reservation before at this preorder stage so no idea what the process would be like via the app. Immediately after the pre-order I made a reservation for the 25/9.

IMmedi
But now you will have to wait longer for the privilege of doing in store no?

How so? :confused: Am assuming the store reservation was for same day.

I would not want to get near an Apple Store on or after the 25th. No possible way. I will be more than happy to have both of my new iPhones delivered to my office!

I had my last iPhone delivered to office and whilst it's fun tracking the UPS guy I think at least once in my life I'd like the Apple Store launch day experience.

Besides I should still be at work for 9/9.30am and will have the phone the whole day to play with...... ;)

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I did the same or at least intend to do so - My preference was to collect in store but I panic ordered at 8.04am as had never done a store reservation before at this preorder stage so no idea what the process would be like via the app. Immediately after the pre-order I made a reservation for the 25/9.

IMmedi

I had my last iPhone delivered to office and whilst it's fun tracking the UPS guy I think at least once in my life I'd like the Apple Store launch day experience.

Besides I should still be at work for 9/9.30am and will have the phone the whole day to play with...... ;)

I ordered from Apple's site. And had a ship date 9-25. When I talked to the ppl at Apple, they told me that I could cancel my order to be shipped and place a new order at that point yesterday. But that it would delay when I got my phone. Cause I wouldn't be able to reserve and pickup that weekend. That I would have to wait till the next "reservation date available". The way they made it sound was that had I canceled the day I originally ordered my phone, it would be a while before I could make another reservation appointment.

Rob198612

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Miami
Same here and if it ships UPS I can have it ready for me at the warehouse or I can select what time to have it delivered! :)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

IMmedi

All I can say is ENJOY your experience.

Whtchdr

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
you are ordering a new mobile phone at 3am in the morning.? oh my.. I really have no words to say about this... bar from... I see the marketing worked lol
LOTS of people, especially those on forums like this don't mind getting up in the middle of night to secure the latest and greatest gadgets. Me being one of them. My only regret was waking up at 830 later that morning to find out they were still in stock for launch day and I could have slept in...lol

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
LOTS of people, especially those on forums like this don't mind getting up in the middle of night to secure the latest and greatest gadgets. Me being one of them. My only regret was waking up at 830 later that morning to find out they were still in stock for launch day and I could have slept in...lol

I found out the next morning also, that at least at the time I woke up to order. That they were still in stock. Should have known cause of less demand on the s series.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
I have a 5:30 pm reservation at fifth avenue flagship to pick up full price phone. With that said I hope they have a separate line for those who want to finance (which will be time consuming) to those who just want to swipe their card and go.

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
I cancelled my order too because when I started the order it said delivery on the 25th. By the time I had finished with the order they gave a delivery date 5-9Oct:confused: I wasn’t happy about that . I saw I could still make a reservation so I did just that and cancelled my original order
I’d rather wait in line on the 25th half an hour or more rather than wait two more week for the phone:eek:

I just hope the phone is still waiting for me and they haven’t run out or mess up or something:eek:

Last edited:

dogg

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
Scotland
Yup. They gave 30 Minute windows for this crap. If that doesn't say: "be prepared to spend a trademark 1 + 1/2 hours at the Apple store for something frivolous like a 15 min genius bar appt" I don't know what does.

That's why I purposely made my appointment at 2 or 3 in the afternoon - I figured the staff would have ironed out anything they could iron out by then.
I agree and would add either first appointment or afternoon as you stated. For people buying handset only should be child's play. Should be...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.