Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
The other week I realized that I have not sat down and watched any television for about two months.

There are a couple of reasons for this...the first is that I am streaming more from netflix.

The second is that there really just is not anything on that I find interesting, and alot of what is on just seems to be a rehash of stuff Ive seen before. Pretty sad statement when you have 250 channels to choose from.

The third reason is that I have satellite service (dish network), and the times that I have tried to watch it recently the service has been out due to weather.

Im really looking forward to saving the $100.00++ per month that doing away with this service will save me.

Anyone else here taken the plunge and done away with the boob tube?

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Good for you! I wish I could get rid of our subscription television. I don't ever watch it at all and it is a huge waste of money. There are two reasons, though, why I can't cancel it:
1. Wife and kids watch it fairly regularly
2. High speed internet is set up through same company and would become much more expensive if we don't have TV with them.

I look forward to products like Apple TV gaining more ground and popularity so maybe someday in the future we can see the end of having to pay for a bunch of channels we never watch.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I couldn't live without the BBC now, it's pretty much the only TV I watch and if it wasn't there I'd be spending a fortune on DVDs. If they can trim off ITV, Channel 5 and the subsidy Sky get from the license fee I'd be happier.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
We still don't have a TV box for my uni house, I don't miss it, I used to love watching TV, but there's so much crap on these days it's really put me off.

I use iPlayer to catch on Top Gear, 4OD for IT Crowd etc etc, but that's really about it. I watch a lot of American sit coms at the moment that are so far behind over here it's easier to just download them than wait months for the UK to catch up.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
TV-free household since 2004 April. It's great. I am 100% sure that I will live longer and more fully for having parted company with all that hype, not least because I'm more physically active since the TV set went to the landfill.

babybanana

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
UK
Parents continue to pay for TV but I won't when I get my house one day. I'll just rewatch them all on BBC iplayer and all that jazz :)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I still watch quite a bit of TV that isn't easy to get online (Discovery, TLC, HGTV [my wife], BBCA). If those companies would realize they could make more money buy putting them online I'd jump ship (after convincing my wife). We're watching a lot more Netflix online as well.

macdim

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2007
Canada
I guess you guys who get rid of your TV service don't like live sports enough to pay for it. That's really the only thing stopping me from getting rid of mine.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I guess you guys who get rid of your TV service don't like live sports enough to pay for it. That's really the only thing stopping me from getting rid of mine.

Exactly. If not for sports, mine would likely be gone too.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Same here. We've been without DirecTV or cable for over a year now and haven't missed it once. Not one TV here gets service and hasn't been turned on in all that time.

I remember when I called to cancel, the rep asked what i was going to be switching to and I told him nothing at all. He acted like he never heard of such a thing before.

We get everything from iTunes now. Commercial free!

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Exactly. If not for sports, mine would likely be gone too.

Yea I very rarely sit down and watch TV, but I watched nearly every World Cup game this summer, I'll watch a the majority of Colts games, some rivalry games and the NFL playoffs, and I'll try to keep up with the NHL season and as many Rangers games as I can.

Unfortunately it's just not the same on the computer or I'd be seriously ready to cancel TV—if it weren't so good to wake up late on a cold fall Sunday to watch some football with the guys in my apartment.

webmunki

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Manchester, UK
I couldn't live without the BBC now, it's pretty much the only TV I watch and if it wasn't there I'd be spending a fortune on DVDs. If they can trim off ITV, Channel 5 and the subsidy Sky get from the license fee I'd be happier.

I got rid of my TV here in the UK about a year ago. I only ever had the news running the same stuff over and over anyhow.

WRT: the Beeb, is the stuff on iPlayer not sufficient? If you dont have a TV set and just watch programs on the internet after they are broadcast then you aren't eligible to pay the TV license fee.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I got rid of my TV here in the UK about a year ago. I only ever had the news running the same stuff over and over anyhow.

WRT: the Beeb, is the stuff on iPlayer not sufficient? If you dont have a TV set and just watch programs on the internet after they are broadcast then you aren't eligible to pay the TV license fee.

It's just a lot easier (and I imagine more environmentally friendly) to run just a TV than a TV+laptop+router. The picture quality isn't as good with the iPlayer too.
For me TV is an easy, convenient technology that I can sit back and relax with whenever my shows are on. Adding computers and intermittent net connections only complicates that.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
I can't cancel because internet is cheaper with the cable. But I never turn the TV on the cable is not even hooked up. :rolleyes:

I am thinking about just getting mifi and canceling the cable/internet package I have not sure if that is a good idea.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I can't cancel because internet is cheaper with the cable. But I never turn the TV on the cable is not even hooked up. :rolleyes:
If you cancel TV service, the price of your Internet will go up, but it still should be less expensive than what you're paying now (for cable TV + internet)?

I enjoy TV sometimes. For about two years, I ran with a TiVo hooked up to an antenna on the roof and got perfect HD reception for local channels, which is 99% of what I watch. $0.00/month in cable/satellite TV bills.

What screwed me was the final season of Battlestar Galactica. SyFy isn't a local channel, so to watch that, I had to buy it from iTunes or torrent it, and neither have the content immediately available. So went back to cable TV for that, and kept it since. My roommate threatens to leave when I mention going back to just locals, and losing his rent money to save $70 isn't worth it. ;)

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
When I moved to my new home my girlfriend and I didn't sign up for cable. We have the internet and are able to stream Netflix through our Wii. Everything we watch we can either stream on Netflix or have the DVD sent to us. I don't miss TV at all so far, but I think we're probably going to get some bunny ears set up soon so we can watch local channels.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I really wish the cable company could somehow offer a "name your channels" service. There is no way I'm getting rid of TV, as many shows I watch simply aren't available online...and I'm not going to change what I enjoy simply based on online offerings. But I have zero need for most sports channels (except maybe 5 times a year if my college team is playing), pretty much will never ever watch the Spanish channels or the religious channels, probably won't ever watch Fox News, etc.

But between my wife and I, I'd say we watch most of the other channels fairly frequently. Between the networks, DIY, HGTV, Discovery, TLC, Science Channel, A&E, Food Channel, Bravo, Travel Channel, etc...there's almost always something interesting to us on.

What I'd like is a "Pick 30 channels for $30/month" option or something like that. Then any time you want to watch a channel not in your block, it's $1 an hour or something. That would save me tons, and I'd still get the same enjoyment i do now.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
All i use my Samsung TV for is watching Blu-Ray movies and football. And theres hardly any football on UK TV without getting Sky so i mostly go to the pub with my mates when a games on.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
If you cancel TV service, the price of your Internet will go up, but it still should be less expensive than what you're paying now (for cable TV + internet)?

I asked for Internet only it was more expensive my bill would be an extra $10 a month if I took the cable off. There is no DSL in my area cable only.

The only thing I usually watch is Adult Swim which I get online. I haven't seen a good live action show in years.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I don't pay for television anymore. I do have a TV that I watch a fair amount of movies with and also Hulu.

I couldn't justify paying a monthly bill for a service I used maybe 5 days out of the month. Just too busy to sit down and watch cable television.

bern1812

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2008
If it weren't for sports I could do without cable just fine. But I need the ESPN family and Golf Network to get my sports fix for the day.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Haven't had cable in over 10 years. Too expensive and advert-laden for what it offered.

Instead:
  • Netflix (DVD and streaming) for movies and old tv programs.
  • Redbox and Blockbuster machines for instant $1 movie rentals.
  • Apple tv for anything not available on the previous two.
  • HDTV antenna in the attic for free network tv.
  • and news and weather is simply easier to read online than endure the self-congratulatory fluff and endless "coming right up after the break" tease from my local stations.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
All i use my Samsung TV for is watching Blu-Ray movies and football. And theres hardly any football on UK TV without getting Sky so i mostly go to the pub with my mates when a games on.

Have you considered the price of the pub and those drinks whenever you want to watch a game, over getting Sky and saving money on the pub? Don't know which one would be cheaper for you.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Have you considered the price of the pub and those drinks whenever you want to watch a game, over getting Sky and saving money on the pub? Don't know which one would be cheaper for you.

Yeah but the atmosphere isn't the same at home. The pubs we go to are either in Manchester or Chorlton, and theres nothing like having a big crowd there all cheering that makes it that extra bit special.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.