Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Cancelled ours to eliminate bills as I returned to school full time. Don't miss it. Between redbox 1$ rentals, hulu and basic cable we are covered. We do get some extra channels for free with the condo assoc, but nothing crazy.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Can always pick up a new set of digital compatible rabbit ears and see what you can get.

Some people have skipped cable once the digital switchover gave them a better signal than they used to have with the analog broadcast.

Deechh

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
I really wish the cable company could somehow offer a "name your channels" service. There is no way I'm getting rid of TV, as many shows I watch simply aren't available online...and I'm not going to change what I enjoy simply based on online offerings. But I have zero need for most sports channels (except maybe 5 times a year if my college team is playing), pretty much will never ever watch the Spanish channels or the religious channels, probably won't ever watch Fox News, etc.

But between my wife and I, I'd say we watch most of the other channels fairly frequently. Between the networks, DIY, HGTV, Discovery, TLC, Science Channel, A&E, Food Channel, Bravo, Travel Channel, etc...there's almost always something interesting to us on.

What I'd like is a "Pick 30 channels for $30/month" option or something like that. Then any time you want to watch a channel not in your block, it's $1 an hour or something. That would save me tons, and I'd still get the same enjoyment i do now.

I also wish that they would allow you to pick a number of channels and pay only for them..would save so much money. Then again tho, $1 a hour for a channel that's not on your "contract" is pretty expensive.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
SAME! I will miss however, 2 things. 1) Award shows (ie. VMA's) (don't judge me) and 2) Showtime shows... they don't let them go to iTunes until AFTER the season ENDS... lame. But whatever.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I also wish that they would allow you to pick a number of channels and pay only for them..would save so much money. Then again tho, $1 a hour for a channel that's not on your "contract" is pretty expensive.

True, but I guess they have to make money somehow! :D Anyway, I would say the number of hours I spend outside of my standard "30" channels would add up to maybe an extra $50/year, if that. If I was saving $50/month on the package, then I've still saved $550.

The reason that will probably never happen, is that the cable companies don't really save any money by delivering you fewer channels. It's pretty much all the same cost to them. In fact, it might even cost MORE to deliver such a service. Why would they give you a discount? Oh well...dreaming!

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
If you're not regularly watching anything, you're not trying hard enough to get hooked on the good shows :p.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I really wish the cable company could somehow offer a "name your channels" service. There is no way I'm getting rid of TV, as many shows I watch simply aren't available online...and I'm not going to change what I enjoy simply based on online offerings. But I have zero need for most sports channels (except maybe 5 times a year if my college team is playing), pretty much will never ever watch the Spanish channels or the religious channels, probably won't ever watch Fox News, etc.

But between my wife and I, I'd say we watch most of the other channels fairly frequently. Between the networks, DIY, HGTV, Discovery, TLC, Science Channel, A&E, Food Channel, Bravo, Travel Channel, etc...there's almost always something interesting to us on.

What I'd like is a "Pick 30 channels for $30/month" option or something like that. Then any time you want to watch a channel not in your block, it's $1 an hour or something. That would save me tons, and I'd still get the same enjoyment i do now.

This. Both me and the wife still watch a fair amount of tv. But I can say we are no longer controlled by the tv. Since we now have a DVR we can watch when we want to. We both really like that a lot.

Reventon

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Toronto, ON
Yeah we also just took the plunge ourselves at my place. Cable was around $50/month but none of us really watched TV regularly in over a year now so it was a big waste of money. We watch everything on computer now anyway. No commercials either!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.