Just couldn't pull the trigger on the X

wulfin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Calgary, AB
I was excited when I saw the X reveal. I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy s7 and wanted the X mostly for the form factor - larger screen than the 8 without a hugely large phone. The notch didn't bug me in the slightest.

This morning I was close to pulling the trigger on a pre-order, but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't justify the cost of the X over the 8 series - for my own needs and financial situation. So I'll be eagerly waiting to see how those of you that ordered the X find it and be mildly jealous and watching to see your reviews.

In the end, I got a 64gb 8+ and am super stoked to be back fully on the ios ecosystem for mobile devices.

tldr: I bought an 8+ today, can't wait to see all the fanfare over the X next week!!

Vermifuge

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2009
I think it's important to remember Apple introduced 3 brand new phones this year. 3 full featured no compromise phones. The 8, 8 Plus and the X all have the same features in terms on CPU, Storage, Performance and only slight differences in clock frequency, RAM, camera, etc. Under the hood they are all essentially the same...

The X should be considered Apple's premium / luxury item (Like an Edition™ Apple watch) and is priced as such. Can't justify the X? The 8 exists... You aren't sacrificing anything. You can still run the same apps. You can still use the same services. You get nearly all the same features of a modern iPhone. It's not as if the 8 is the same class as an iPhone SE or even a previous generation phone.

wulfin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Calgary, AB
....The 8, 8 Plus and the X all have the same features in terms on CPU, Storage, Performance and only slight differences in clock frequency, RAM, camera, etc. Under the hood they are all essentially the same...

...You aren't sacrificing anything. You can still run the same apps. You can still use the same services. You get nearly all the same features of a modern iPhone. It's not as if the 8 is the same class as an iPhone SE or even a previous generation phone.
This is why I'm still excited over my new 8+!! It's not like it's an obsolete phone, I'm not missing the AMOLED of my samsung and I definitely don't need animojis in my life. But, I'm still happy for those that are getting the X and can't wait to see how it performs. I have no regrets.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The 8 Plus seems others make it out To be dated, when it's not. It still offers many features and capabilities the iPhone X has, aside from the major changes with Face ID, form factor and the OLED display. All together, the iPhone 8 is still a solid iPhone.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
I also chose the 8 Plus over the X. Honestly, because they came out in the shadow of the X, the 8 and 8 Plus are probably the most underrated iPhones ever. The plus especially has almost the same capabilities as the X. Some people just can’t get over the fact that it has bezels because they’re out of style like last year's shoes or something.

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I also chose the 8 Plus over the X. Honestly, because they came out in the shadow of the X, the 8 and 8 Plus are probably the most underrated iPhones ever. The plus especially has almost the same capabilities as the X. Some people just can’t get over the fact that it has bezels because they’re out of style like last year's shoes or something.
I don't think there's anything wrong with choosing the 8 if you feel it's the phone for you; everyone has different needs. But even before the iPhone X was revealed, I was completely underwhelmed by the 8. It's essentially an iPhone 7S. The improvements like processing power are largely internal, and I feel the only reasons they dubbed it the 8 were because they changed the back to glass to allow for wireless charging and wanted to have a number closer to X so it wasn't as great a leap going from 7 to X. Same form factor as its predecessor, same home button, same resolution.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
I don't think there's anything wrong with choosing the 8 if you feel it's the phone for you; everyone has different needs. But even before the iPhone X was revealed, I was completely underwhelmed by the 8. It's essentially an iPhone 7S. The improvements like processing power are largely internal, and I feel the only reasons they dubbed it the 8 were because they changed the back to glass to allow for wireless charging and wanted to have a number closer to X so it wasn't as great a leap going from 7 to X. Same form factor as its predecessor, same home button, same resolution.
Yeah, the improvements are internal. Many who don’t want to lose the home button or TouchID see this as the main advantage. The new design of the X comes with a lot of unknowns.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Your choice is fine, just don’t have any regrets when all the rave reviews for the X come out.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Your choice is fine, just don’t have any regrets when all the rave reviews for the X come out.
Why would the OP have regrets? Reviews are not the consideration here, price point was. The OP could have opted for the X, but made the conscious to decision to choose otherwise based on the price point for their needs and financial consideration.

Last edited:

Niacchus

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2015
As an 8+ buyer this year, I really do hope the X gets great reviews this year. Because it means its a solid new phone design for Apple the 'next decade'.

I wont have regrets because im so happy with the 8+ (coming from a 7). I didnt want to wait until November/Dec to get the X, and I believe history will show it will become the iPad 3 of iPhones. I prefer to wait for the 2018 version of the X, hopefully there will be an X+ size.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
As an 8+ buyer this year, I really do hope the X gets great reviews this year. Because it means its a solid new phone design for Apple the 'next decade'.

I wont have regrets because im so happy with the 8+ (coming from a 7). I didnt want to wait until November/Dec to get the X, and I believe history will show it will become the iPad 3 of iPhones. I prefer to wait for the 2018 version of the X, hopefully there will be an X+ size.
I have a feeling the X+ or XS+ will be real. I'll still be sticking with my smaller form factor for my average-sized hands. :)

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
Saved up specifically for the iPhone X... Yes I feel a little remorse. However after years of owning iPhones, buying on subsidized 2 year contracts and holding on to those phones for 4 years... Really good deals at the time...

This year it maths out to about $25 per month for an iPhone X 256GB. Later selling for about $200 or so for the old one. I think this year it's going to be different. The cost is not so bad, just difficult to swallow. It's a real sacrifice to buy up front. But this has no impact on my budget.

Actually making an unplanned purchase of, say and Apple TV or Apple Watch, would have more impact of my disposable income. It's all how you plan it out.

iScone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
The X is a much better phone than the 8/+ but it's not for everyone. It's ridiculous to pretend there's any parity between the X and any other iPhone, but I'm with you. I didn't get the X. I'm sticking with my 7 for another year (or 11 months at this stage).

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I was excited when I saw the X reveal. I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy s7 and wanted the X mostly for the form factor - larger screen than the 8 without a hugely large phone. The notch didn't bug me in the slightest.

This morning I was close to pulling the trigger on a pre-order, but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't justify the cost of the X over the 8 series - for my own needs and financial situation. So I'll be eagerly waiting to see how those of you that ordered the X find it and be mildly jealous and watching to see your reviews.

In the end, I got a 64gb 8+ and am super stoked to be back fully on the ios ecosystem for mobile devices.

tldr: I bought an 8+ today, can't wait to see all the fanfare over the X next week!!
I admire your rational buying. Edit: I'm test driving once it comes....and I'll have to decide....rationally as well.

Reactions: wulfin

jbizzybeetle

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015

welcome back into the light....:)

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
You won't be disappointed, I have the 8 Plus and it's an incredible phone. So fast and the camera is amazing.

I have pre-ordered the X though and get it next Friday.

Reactions: TravisPNW

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
The plus especially has almost the same capabilities as the X. Some people just can’t get over the fact that it has bezels because they’re out of style like last year's shoes or something.
Exactly! ZOMG the phone has bezels! It's so outdated! Personally I think the bezels are fine. The Plus screen is perfectly sized for my uses and I can use it one handed. I'd rather have the bezels over the notch ALL DAY LONG.

A design that is 3 years old is just fine by me. If you wanna talk about outdated iPhone form factors lets talk about the 4 or the 5.

Seriously.

Yeah, the improvements are internal. Many who don’t want to lose the home button or TouchID see this as the main advantage. The new design of the X comes with a lot of unknowns.
Yep... give me my home button and Touch ID. The many millions of X beta testers can report back their thoughts and that will no doubt play a part in my decision to consider the X Plus next year.

Hoosier317

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
The OLED screen made the X a no-brainer for me. Anything else is quickly becoming severely outdated.