Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Yeah, the improvements are internal. Many who don’t want to lose the home button or TouchID see this as the main advantage. The new design of the X comes with a lot of unknowns.

I used my IUP for my wife to upgrade her from a 6 to a X. I still could have bought another X for myself with 2-3 weeks shipping that night. The unknowns made me wait. If I want a X I know I can score one without waiting 5-6 weeks, but I may settle for a 8+.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The OLED screen made the X a no-brainer for me. Anything else is quickly becoming severely outdated.

I've never had a device with an OLED display, so it's not really a major selling point for me if I don't know what I'm missing.

It's not like the display on the 8+ is bad.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
I've never had a device with an OLED display, so it's not really a major selling point for me if I don't know what I'm missing.
Just like OLED TV's, it's a game changer. Blacks will look like a dark grey by comparison on traditional LCD screens. The contrast ratios will be incredible. It's just a better experience all around.

Suspenders

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
I bought an 8 Plus thinking I wouldn't want an X...

I pre-ordered the X Friday morning and will likely sell the 8 Plus afterwards.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Just like OLED TV's, it's a game changer. Blacks will look like a dark grey by comparison on traditional LCD screens. The contrast ratios will be incredible. It's just a better experience all around.

I can see how that might matter to me for a TV, but I don't care that much for a phone.

Besides, even reviewers who have experience with OLED phones of figher resolutions say that the 8+ display is still quite good and sports some of the most accurate colours. I'm sure that the next phone that I get will be OLED, but I should be fine for the next 2-3 years, as the internals of the 8+ will hold up just as well as the X (since they're the same).

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I bought an 8 Plus thinking I wouldn't want an X...

I pre-ordered the X Friday morning and will likely sell the 8 Plus afterwards.

Are you pissed for caving to 8plus for the shortest period of time?

There will probably be a bit of a loss trading up

Suspenders

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Are you pissed for caving to 8plus for the shortest period of time?

There will probably be a bit of a loss trading up

Surprisingly, no. I know there will be a bit of a loss trading up, but I'm willing to live with that.

I went with the 8 Plus because prior to that I was using an S7 Edge for ~7 months (coming from a 6S plus) and had to get out of Android and back to iPhone.

The X is a lot of money, and I'll lose some money in re-sell... (actually I might not even sell the 8 Plus, I might just give it away), I realize that Smart Phones are something I really like and enjoy using. Some people spend a lot of money on clothes, some spend it on drinks, some spend it on cars... I (and many) don't mind spending it on a gadget I use every single day for so many different things...

Reactions: thadoggfather
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.