Just cracked my 2011 MBA 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iZeeshan, Aug 16, 2011.

1. iZeeshan macrumors regular

So my phone was sitting on my lap and I abruptly got up and I guess the phone hit the screen. I came back and i found a massive crack in the middle of screen that kind of looks like a sun. A center with several cracks branching out from it.

I doubt Apple would cover it, but is there any case in which they would?

How much would it cost to fix it?

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Apple Stores will sometime do cheap repairs for free.

3. iZeeshan thread starter macrumors regular

I doubt it'd be a cheap repair though right? It's the screen that's cracked - that's practically the whole Macbook Air lol.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I read online that my CC might cover this? $1000 coverage within 90 days of purchase. Anyone know how hat works?

4. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Why not contact them and find out. :rolleyes:

5. iZeeshan thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I did but the CC company is closed until tomorrow morning. From what I'm reading, it should be covered. But I'm just really anxious and devastated right now and was hoping someone would have good news.

Any idea if Apple would replace this for free as a first time thing? I only ask this because I cracked my iPhone 4 screen and they replaced that too for free as a one time thing...

6. Nioxic macrumors regular

just coz i'm curious..

Can you post a picture? :p

and in worst case, i think a screen is one of the easier things to replace on a laptop.. :)

7. iZeeshan thread starter macrumors regular

8. icchy macrumors newbie

oh man... that definitely looks like the sun.
    good luck dude

9. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

Bring it to Apple Store. They usually give you free repair even if it's out of coverage for one time exemption. If one store does not, try another one

My 2010 MBA got dents on screen and they replace the entire screen for free.

10. iZeeshan thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I was thinking it also depends on the Apple Store rep I get. It's been less than 30 days I think.

I'll have to take it to the Apple Store anyway to get a repair estimate to send to my Credit Card company - who, after reading the policy, should cover it because I bought it at regular price from a legitimate store and whatnot.

As long as I can figure out that it will get fixed, I don't care how long it takes lol.

If it doesn't, I can always tell myself that it's not that bad.

11. dborja macrumors 6502a

12. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Wow, that really sucks. And before anyone says you should have been more careful, accidents happen. From this forum, I have heard some say that the Apple store has fixed broken screens for free, especially on newer products. Definitely, give it a shot (like a poster above-if at first not successful-try another store). The cc deal may cover you, too.
    Good luck!

13. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

It depends on who are you gonna talk to, but most likely it's gonna be your first repair and last one for FREE! Go to the Apple store come back and thanx me later bro. ;)

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The odds are low that apple will replace/repair MBA's screens for free or at a discount. They have been known to replace them once in a blue moon but its a rare occurrence. The only way to find out is to try. The normal cost of a display panel is one third of the total cost of the MBA if not more.

Bummers on the damage though :(

I had my phone in my lap and did the same thing happened in that I got up, the difference is my iPhone fell to the ground, I was no where near the computer - still it bites :(

15. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

It seems like just the glass broke and not the panel itself? I see no dead pixels or anything? If it's just the glass is shouldn't be that expensive to fix.

16. Typswif2fingers, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

What the RamGuy says.. The MBAs have a thin glass layer over the actual screen. - Incorrect.

17. marrzie macrumors regular

Macbook pros have glass over the screen. Macbook airs do not have glass over the screen.

18. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

If your cc is an Amex, you are covered. 90 days theft and accident coverage are covered.

I put all my electronics on it due to this and it also doubles the warranty up to a year.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

I believe Visa Signature cards do the same. Odds are pretty good that someone, whether it's Apple or your credit card company, will pony up for the repair.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd bet it's a Citi card because he had a tab opened on his screen that said "Citi". Ergo, my assumption is that it's not Amex.

That's a bummer OP, hopefully the CC company will cover it.

21. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Hopefully they'll fix it for free. Mistakes happen. The one time I had to take my phone in to a genius. I didn't expect anything, just wanted an assessment. They swapped it out for free. Varies by who you get / how you approach the situation.

I'd just go in there, be honest, don't expect anything and see what happens.

22. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

I stand corrected...

23. iZeeshan thread starter macrumors regular

I just realized that when I bought my Mac, I bought only part of it on the credit card and the rest of it was on my debit card and that's the first stipulation for coverage.

It was $1150 to $180 (80 of that was taxes). Is there any way around this? Maybe partial coverage or something?

I don't know :(

How much does it cost anyway to get it fixed?

24. mittens79 macrumors newbie

wait, so you didn't take it in to the genius bar?

25. iZeeshan thread starter macrumors regular

Not yet, I'm going to do that this Friday because I'm a student and I don't have a car lol. Up until now, I was sure that my CC company would cover it and that would be my backup plan if Apple didn't have pity on me.

Now it's highly unlikely that the CC will cover it, unless there's some way around it...?

THe only reason I didn't pay for the whole thing on my CC was cuz of a $1200 limit...so I paid $1150 on it. Idk if that makes a difference.

I'll call them tomorrow morning but just ranting and hoping someone has good news.