Just finished a bag of Wheat Thins with bugs in them....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Aug 4, 2010.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Should I be alright? They were small and darkish brown oval body. Blended right in with the crackers, I thought they were like large pieces of pepper. There were like 5 at the bottom of the bag, and a couple on my plate. I'm sure there are a few in my stomach now.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I always think about this, I always check the bag quickly now but you should be fine. call POison control if you can't get it out of your head. "Or Stomach";)

4. mariahrg macrumors member

mariahrg

when i was little i ate 3 bowls of serial before i realized the box was full of weevils. i think i cried for a week straight after that. good times.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Exactly, besides. What doesn't kill you, makes you fatter/stronger.

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

1. Call Wheat Thins.
    2. Complain and offer to send pictures of bugs.
    3. ????????
    4. Profit!

7. Philalbe macrumors 6502

I should have read this AFTER supper...lol! It seems weevils are harmless at least.

8. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

If it makes you feel any better... imagine watching TV... going through a box of Sunmaid raisins... and maggots. Yuch.

I always look now.

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

This thread is disgusting. Bugs on your crackers, maggots in your raisins, and mold in your Chef Boyardee.

I can't decide which is the lessor of the three weevils.

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

That is pretty disgusting but hearing of weevils reminds me of the scene from "Master and Commander".

Captain Aubrey: "Do you see those two weevils, Doctor?...Which would you choose?"
    Dr. Maturin: "Neither. There's not a scrap of difference between them. They're the same species of Curculio."
    Captain Aubrey: "If you had to choose. If you were forced to make a choice. If there were no other option."
    Dr. Maturin: "Well, then, if you're going to push me. I would choose the right-hand weevil. It has significant advantage in both length and breadth."
    Captain Aubrey: "There, I have you!...Do you not know that in the Service, one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?"

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That isn't mold, watch the whole thing. :D

12. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

UGH! That's it, I'm never eating again.

13. joshjoshlol macrumors member

In most wheat-based products, manufacturers accept certain percentages of bug parts. It's the nature of not having your food appear out of thin air. The FDA calls it an 'unavoidable defect' in what you eat.

Bug extracts are also a driving force behind the reddish coloring of many common foods, like yogurt or ice cream. Here's an article about it.

Whole bugs, though... I had a cockroach crawl into my coke can before when I wasn't looking. Took a swig, felt something tickling my lips... not a good night. I would have raised hell with Coca Cola if they had manufactured that 'surprise' in there with the can.

14. mariahrg macrumors member

mariahrg

i work at a winery, you would be amazed as to what ends up in the tanks during harvest. rats, snakes, lizards, squirrels, bugs, etc. tons of earwigs and ants. tons! i guess the technology for picking grapes and crushing them has gotten better. the larger items dont usually make it through now days. a few slip by though.

15. 184550 Guest

You should be alright. Unless you die. Then you're probably not alright.

16. GyroFX macrumors 6502

no biggie. I paid to eat fried crickets and potato strings at an upscale restaurant. I however didn't want to try their chicken stuffed water bug. I wasn't sure how big a water bug is...

17. snberk103 macrumors 603

Darn You! I was doing fine.... knew about bugs in wheat type stuff, and other foods. Never bothered me.... But I had never thought critters, grapes, and wine before..... :p

18. mariahrg macrumors member

mariahrg

Sorry to ruin it for you. Lol. If it makes you feel better, there's enough additives like acids, yeasts, sulfites, etc. to kill any grossness.

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

your stomach is full of hydrochloric acid so they are most definitely dead and you probably shouldnt worry too much about it.

20. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

I'm sure most of the stuff described here won't kill you and some are probably even things that could be regularly eaten.....but seriously......gross!!!

:eek:

21. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    LMAO!:D

22. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

This thread is disgusting! I think the worst ive ever eaten is a couple of ants which were in my chex mix. :( I only would have noticed if i didnt see one crawling on my finger. They were the little red ones. Hard to notice. I then vomited.

23. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Go to a greasy fast food place and eat till you get sick, then sue the crap out of wheat thins, take lots of pics, you should get a nice settlement.

I ate termites one time on purpose, when I was in Mexico, they tasted like peanut butter.