Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I've finished taking photos for eBay auctions and thought it might be interesting to take near identical photos using the original 4GB iPhone2G and the new iPhone5.
The setup remains the same for both iPhones and there was no editing other than cropping and sizing each photo using iPhoto.

Here is the iPhone2G setup:

iP2Gsetup.jpg

This photo was taken from approximately eight inches from the coin. No matter what, I couldn't get the iPhone to focus. Here is the result:

iP2gsilverdollar.jpg

Even from a little over two feet back the photo is fuzzy:

iP2gfullX.jpg

Here is the iPhone5 set up:

iP5setup.jpg

This photo was also taken about eight inches from the coin. The coin focused without any effort. Here is the result:

iP5silverdollar.jpg

From a little over two feet back the photo is pretty focused (room for improvement):

iP5full.jpg

I'm not trying to really prove anything, just thought it was cool how much the camera, for closeups, has improved.
Where it used to be really useless now the photos are mostly clear.
The white balance could use tweaking, but overall the last five years has seen remarkable upgrades (obviously).

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Very nice. I would like to see a comparison from 3G to 3GS to 4 to 4S to 5 like this. You usually see comparisons between the most recent release and model before but its interesting to see how improvements have been made over the years.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
We already know that the iphone5 has a better camera than the iphone 2g, Sherlock!!!

Surjavarman, it is why I started the topic: "Just for Fun" and ended the thread, "obviously" to avoid the typical response you provided.
I see in that regard, I failed.

MLAM

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
United Kingdom
Surjavarman, it is why I started the topic: "Just for Fun" and ended the thread, "obviously" to avoid the typical response you provided.
I see in that regard, I failed.
There is always one that has to spoil it braddick,

This is the kind of thing I would do and I thank you for it.

For the real hell of it you should do a video of them in operation sliding between pages on the home screen, now that would be interesting to show the speed difference :D

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
I almost (but not really) wish I was making the jump from my iPhone 3G to the iPhone 5. My co-worker just upgraded from the original iPhone and it's like a brand new world for her!

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I've pleasantly surprised with my iP5's camera quality and close up shots and automatic focus. I'll have to test out something I did on my iP4 one time. I was filming in a pet store and I couldn't get the camera to focus on a cat inside it's cage from about a foot away (from the cage), maybe less. It would only ever focus on the cage, no matter where I pressed on the screen. I'd like to see if it's advanced any further to be able to accomplish that.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This photo was taken from approximately eight inches from the coin. No matter what, I couldn't get the iPhone to focus.

The original iPhone had a fixed focus lens. It can't change focus no matter what you do. The iPhone 3G was the first iPhone to offer auto-focus. (And the 3GS was the first that let you tap the screen to tell it where to auto-focus on.)

Pretty amazing how far they've come.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The original iPhone had a fixed focus lens. It can't change focus no matter what you do. The iPhone 3G was the first iPhone to offer auto-focus. (And the 3GS was the first that let you tap the screen to tell it where to auto-focus on.)

I thought the 3G had the same camera as the 2G, and auto focus didn't happen till the 3GS.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
The macro feature on these last iPhones is just impressive.

Just out of curiosity, how's the battery doing on that original iPhone?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009

The iPhone and the iPhone 3G had the same camera. The 3GS was the first to offer an improved camera (that alone made it a nice upgrade!).

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The iPhone and the iPhone 3G had the same camera. The 3GS was the first to offer an improved camera (that alone made it a nice upgrade!).

Indeed you're correct. I even checked that fact before I posted but I must have mixed up the 3G and 3GS pages. However could I have mixed up such totally different sounding names! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.