Just found a Dead Pixel on my 6S Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by That-Guy, Oct 2, 2015.

1. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Well today was going well until I found a dead pixel on my launch day 6S Plus :(

It's in the top left of the screen below the signal strength indicator.

Would this issue get the phone replaced if I went to an Apple Store? If so is it worth bothering yet or are stocks non-existent?

2. Sarah Jones 799 Suspended

Sarah Jones 799

Get it replaced and make sure you check the phone instore before you leave.
    Just download the Dead Spotter app using Apple store wifi saves you another trip.

3. That-Guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Guessing you can't just walk in to do this? Genius appointment will need to be made?

4. That-Guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Right so just got off the phone with Apple and made little progress.

To get a replacement sent out they would put a hold on my Credit Card, this is no good as it has a really low limit and as I have just purchased the phone on it, the hold would not go through.

I then said about popping into store and they said easiest appointment is next Friday! Why I should have to make an appointment to exchange my device beyond me!

I then asked if the replacement device would be new they said it would be "as new" which they say covers devices which have already been returned for previous faults or unwanted purchases. Why should I have to swap my week old phone for something that has potentially come back to them with issues?

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It is up to you but is always a crap shoot. All the replacements should be new at this point but that is no guarantee of perfection.

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I'm sorry to hear that you have a bad pixel. It certainly is a bummer. Apple can't do anything about your credit limitations, but they can swap it out for you in the store. Don't worry, there are no refurbs at this time, only new phones. And don't worry about waiting until next Friday. Your phone will work just fine between now and then. If anything, you get another free week's worth of use out of the life of the battery before swapping it out for a brand new one.

Bonus tip: be sure to perform a back-up as close as possible before heading out the store. It will save you time and give you the added reassurance that your data is in-fact backed up.

7. That-Guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Thanks for putting things into perspective. Will only let me make an appointment up until next Friday so will wait till midnight and do if for Saturday (day off) just hoping they actually have a replacement in stock as the Apple store is about an hours drive away so not really wanting to make multiple trips.

Everything else with the phone has been spot on I am more than happy with its performance and to be fair it took until today to notice the dead pixel, but now I know its there it will be glaring right at me. Will be checking the replacement before leaving the store!

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Easiest appointment? I assume that means they have appointments sooner than that but none of them fit your schedule?

9. ACURA2015 macrumors regular

I was in the same situation with my 6s Gold 64GB last week, the rep told me the same thing, so I decided to do things a little my way, since I was till under the 14 days return period, I just simply walked into the store and returned the phone, I did not even mention the dead pixel I had because I know I was going to get the same lip, they didn't question me, I simply told them I had a change of mind, shortly after that same day I went again and bought another iPhone 6s 64GB Gold device only at full price, not only did this new one flawless I got it UN-locked. :) Good luck !

10. ACURA2015 macrumors regular

I was in the same situation with my 6s Gold 64GB last week, the rep told me the same thing, so I decided to do things a little my way, since I was till under the 14 days return period, I just simply walked into the store and returned the phone, I did not even mention the dead pixel I had because I know I was going to get the same lip, they didn't question me, I simply told them I had a change of mind, shortly after that same day I went again and bought another iPhone 6s 64GB Gold device only at full price, not only was this new one flawless, I got it UN-locked. :) Good luck !

11. That-Guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Sorry that was meant to be "earliest" they have nothing until Friday.

12. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

The lady at the Apple store explained to me that they are new right now but are called "Service units", they still come in that white little box with no accessories. Just like the refurbs.

The one they wanted to exchange mine for had a dead pixel. Thankfully mine stopped freezing up and I figured out generally what was causing it...

I just walked into the Apple store. Had to wait about 2 1/2 hours but they fit me in. YMMV.

13. meikdunj macrumors regular

Book your genius appointment on the apple app, dead easy. Never had any problem this way.

14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Also, be sure to call the Apple Store on the day of your appointment and make sure they have a replacement unit in-stock for your model/size/color. Explain that you're driving 2 hours that day and ask a supervisor if he/she will hold it for you.

15. That-Guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Didn't know you could do it in the app so thanks!

Never actually manage to get through to the store, I get a machine ask me what I want, no matter what I say it puts me through to Apple Support. This is the dedicated store number I am ringing too!

16. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

At the automated prompt, say "Manager" and you will get put through to the store :)

17. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

Do what I did when I got my 6s replaced. They were going to give me a replacement in a white box so I said I wanted new sealed unit or I would just get a refund and buy another one new so they said okay no problem. I have had two other replacements and they just gave me new units. I did bring the box with unused contents back to the store each time though.

The reason I wanted a new phone was because when I come to sell it I want both the phone and box with matching imei numbers.

18. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Don't worry OP, you got 2.073.599 good pixels left!

19. That-Guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Thanks will try that!

Didn't think of that! Thank you will be asking for this.

:D Well when you put it like that!

Just checked the available Genius appointments and loads more have become available, managed to get one for Tuesday afternoon :)

20. Sekelani macrumors 6502

Sekelani

That sucks big time. I hope your phone gets there sooner

21. Rocko9999 macrumors regular

Rocko9999

Waits 2.5 hours-Apple fit her in. :confused:

22. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

I dot understand why people are bothering with service appointments. They've only been out for a week. Walk in with your receipt, and exchange it. If there's no stock, return it and wait for more stock. Easy enough.

23. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Not everyone bought their device from Apple. To return it involves shipping my device, waiting forever for a refund, all the while having to resort to using an older device for an unspecified amount of time.

Luckily my issues have ceased. My patience and troubleshooting paid off in my case. There are people not so lucky as I am.

24. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

Even if I bought it from a carrier, I'd do the same thing, exchange new for new on the spot.

That's why I'll keep my 5S forever though, it's old reliable.

25. Scarphac3 macrumors regular

I had two on my 6S+ made an appointment and still had to wait an hour to get seen. At first they wanted to replace the screen and make me come back in an hour but I wasn't gonna wait since I already waited that long so he gave me a white box replacement. Don't even think they have any refurbished units yet for the white boxes.