Just freaking great

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by 8CoreWhore, Jun 8, 2014.

1. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I live a block from a supermarket and now its app is prominently displayed on my lock screen while I am home. How to turn that disgusting feature off? :mad:

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Uninstall the super market app

3. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

well, that's a great way to not have our lock screens spammed.

4. matttye macrumors 601

From what people on here have been saying, it will display apps you don't have installed.

Also, seems like overkill just to stop an icon displaying.

5. pdaholic macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

Yeah, I think I remember at the keynote that if you don't have an app installed, an icon will pop up on the lock screen that will take you to the App Store to download it. I might be mistaken, though.

Surely there is some way to turn this "feature" off???

6. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

That's what I thought, too, but I have the app installed. I really need that app as I use it to load coupons and discounts onto my club card - it saves me at least $30/mo. The idea that I have to uninstall an app. or worse, see an ad for an app I don't EVER want, spamming my phone on any screen, never the less my lock screen, is freaking horrible. I turned off all manner of location service features short of turning off the master LS switch and it still shows up.

I then turned of ALL location services and it is finally gone. They need to give us control over this feature and anyone that says, "Don't like it? Don't use Apple products" or "Uninstall the app" as if that is an acceptable only choice has a slave mentality.

What are we retards? "Hey iPhone user!~ In case you are an idiot, we put the app for that gas station across the street right on your lock screen in case there is a 1 in a million chance you will want to stop everything you are doing and download that app! You can thank us later!"

7. schlaufox macrumors regular

At the moment, there is a bug in iOS 8 Beta 1 where the App Store uses your location even when set to Never in Settings. I think this might explain why the lock screen icon persisted until you turned off Location Services entirely.

I would think that under normal circumstances, if the App Store is set to Never access your location, you won't get the lock screen icons. Either that, or is there is a toggle for "Location Based Alerts" that could be prompting them.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon, since it's an issue known by Apple.

8. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Slight overreaction? :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it only shows up on your lock screen if the app is installed anyway, it's not suggesting an app to download.

9. matttye macrumors 601

Wrong - shows up when not installed too.

10. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I stand corrected, But I still don't see the big deal. It's a tiny little icon at the bottom of you screen, do you stare at your lock screen enough for that to bother you?

11. justblais macrumors member

It's a bug! Turning off location services is supposed to fix the problem, but location services are currently bugged to just stay on in beta 1.

Take a deep breath OP. It's frustrating, but it happens in betas.

12. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

Apparently it's "disgusting" and "freaking horrible". Why wouldn't a rational person be extremely outraged about this feature.

13. pdaholic macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

I can see why the OP is upset, though, it's forcing product advertisement on the user, which I definitely don't want. Thank goodness it's a bug that can be fixed.

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I'm not using iOS 8 but from researching around, can't you turn off location based alerts under system services and that will be disabled?

The screenshot in this thread shows location based alerts as an option. I'm pretty sure that should solve the problem.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1742655

15. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

You're not allowed to complain about beta software. If there's still no way to disable it when iOS 8 is released, then you can make all the threads you want.

16. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

yes, master, please forgive me, master

17. schlaufox macrumors regular

If you can hold off a week or so until the next beta is released (at least I think that's when Beta 2 will arrive), then I would do so. Since Apple were aware of the bug when they put out Beta 1, I would expect it to be fixed for Beta 2.

Otherwise, you may want to restore to 7.1.1 until you know it's fixed for sure.

18. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

How's your app coming along?
    You tested against the new API's?
    You getting to grips with SWIFT?

19. Armen, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Just freaking great

So if you are within 100 yards of 4 gas stations and 3 super markets who's app shows up? This feature is probably broken. It's supposed to behave more like passbook and open an app for you when you are near

----------

Like I said it's probably broken considering if you ever set foot in a mall your iPhone would explode from all the suggestions. It's supposed to suggest apps you have installed you have allowed location services for.

20. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Report it as a bug and uninstall the beta. You realize iOS 8 hasn't been released yet right?

21. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Of course if it's a bug there's no concern about lock screen spam.

But do we know it's a bug or are we just guessing? I turned off all location services regarding ads and "frequent locations" and it's still there. My complaint is if it is policy based and not a bug (still not settled) and the validity of my complaint is no less valid than complaints about font choices, keyboard behavior, or any thing else.

So as it stands, let's just hope this is a bug and Apple is not pulling an Amazon Kindle like experience of ads on the home screen or in this case lock screen.

I guess we'll find out after subsequent updates.

22. dcp10 macrumors 6502

This is incorrect as has been pointed out. It was clearly stated during the keynote that suggested apps would be displayed. I agree that the current bug with location services is most likely preventing it from working properly. Turning off popular near me should turn this off when this bug is fixed.

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

And going back to the example of when you are at a mall and there are 5 stores within 20 feet that have apps. Which one does it recommend?

24. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

Go into Settings app -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services and turn OFF Location Based Alerts

25. dcp10, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014

dcp10 macrumors 6502

Just freaking great

Isn't this for calendar alerts? App Store has been using the popular near me to make app suggestions for awhile now so I presume this just an extension of that.

----------

This will be interesting to see how the logic is applied. I suspect that iBeacons might play a role.