Just got a call from Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Drumjim85, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

So Apple just called me in regards to the refurbished iPhone i bought in October... They asked me if i was satisfied with it, and then tried to pressure me into buying apple care (she said it was new..?)

Is this common to get calls from apple?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Never gotten a call from Apple here..

You sure it was Apple? (reason being, why would she say AppleCare is new?)

3. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Actually, I just got a call from 'Apple Client Services' yesterday. This was in Scotland, UK however so might be completely unrelated. I am almost 100% sure it wasn't Apple.

They wanted to question me about my warranty until I told them I had Applecare on all my Macs.

Then they abruptly hung up.

4. Drumjim85 thread starter macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I could have been wrong about it being Apple, the introduction was kinda fuzzy.... But i thought i heard the word Apple in there... so maybe it was a third party kind of thing....

She was saying how important the new apple care was for my battery....

5. SthrnCmfrtr macrumors 6502

A new scam? Doesn't seem very Apple-ish. I've received mail and email about AppleCare, but never a phone call.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

In the US I have never received a unsolicited call from apple, even after buying a number of iphones.

It might be a phishing attempt by scammers.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

This is pretty standard. Apple frequently calls people as their standard warranty nears expiration in an attempt to sell them AppleCare. Nothing new.

8. JDR macrumors regular

Is the standard iPhone warranty 3 months?

9. kimb macrumors newbie

This sounds like a new scam to me. Dont give out any finacial information to them over the phone. They probally figure just about everyone has some sort of Apple product. Maybe its the new scam for crooks to get money out of people.

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

1 year for new iphones, and it should be the same for refurbs i believe.

11. Drumjim85 thread starter macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

it is the same for refurbs...
    And she did know i had an iphone, not just an apple product ...
    AND, she called my office phone, not my cellphone...
    -all very strange.

12. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I used to work in the mobile phone business and this is quite common. Companies will ring up and pretend to be your network (or in this case Apple) and try and get you to sign up to them or to renew your contract with a new phone. Never ever renew a contract with someone who has phoned you.

The best thing to do is if they ring you and claim to be a company that you think is legit get them to list all your personal details, including date of birth. If they can't or refuse they have just bought your details and will only have access to your name, mobile number and possibly address.

Be VERY VERY aware of things like this. Remember never to give out details to anyone who phones you.

13. afd macrumors 6502a

14. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It has been since day 1.

15. mr.light macrumors 6502

I have purchased several Macs in the past and Apple has never called me. Nor have they ever called anyone I know who has purchased one. I think this is a scam.

16. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Maybe. But I have been buying Apple products for the last 5 years and never got a call from them. I suspect some type of phishing scam.

17. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I was called a few weeks ago about buying AppleCare for my MacBook.

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Apple calls me about every 2 years to ask me about my Final Cut Studio and how I use it.

Not the same, I know, but they DO call people sometimes is all I'm saying.

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

AppleCare reps try to "scare" customers into purchasing the full extended AppleCare when the 90-day (read: 3 month) free phone support part of the 1-year warranty runs up. That way they word it so that it sounds like your warranty is up-- when what they mean is your free phone support portion is up.

And yes, I've received such a call about my iBook (but not in regards to any of my other Appley goods).

20. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Actually I don't think it was announced until a few weeks after the iPhone released, and wasn't available until about a month after that.
    That said, I've never gotten a call from Apple about any of my iPods, iMacs, or iPhone.

I probably won't even look into AppleCare until near the end of my one year anyway.

21. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Maybe some-one in your office is trying to scam you.

22. pvpost macrumors newbie

I got a call from Apple Care last year when my Mac Mini's warranty was about to expire. She knew which machine I had and the serial number. It was legit. FYI, when I politely declined Apple Care for the Mini for $169, she offered it to me for $100. I accepted. I received all the documentation later in the mail.

They do call.

23. rayward macrumors 65816

After purchasing multiple Macs, iPods and iPhones, all registered, some with and some without AppleCare, I have never, ever, ever received a phone call from Apple.

I do, however, receive endless "important" letters warning me that the warranty is about to expire on my car and I "need to act now" to ensure that I don't lose protection.

Just sayin'...

24. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

25. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I remember being called a few times from Apple about how I liked my 3rd generation iPod and if I had any problems. I'm pretty sure they called when my 1 year for my iBook was almost up to see if I wanted to purchase Applecare.

It's always fun to see Apple, Inc. show up on your caller ID.