Just got a MPB, is it a good idea to keep it plugged in all the time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gameaholic, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Gameaholic macrumors member

Hey guys,

I know this question may have been answer several times throughout the years, but maybe things have changed since the Macbook pros themselves upgraded their hardware.

So, i have been using my macbook pro at home a lot lately and i have been using it all day. Is it good to keep my MPB plugged in/charged at all times throughout the day (except when it shuts down)? Or should i drain it down to 30% ish and then recharge and repeat the process. I'm not sure if keeping the charger on at all times will negatively impact the MPB battery or not. At all times meaning keeping the charger on for 15 hours/day. All Apples saids is that you should calibrate the battery. Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

apple has specifically designed the charging process so that it doesn’t negatively affect the battery. Calibrate the battery monthly and you should be fine.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I always keep mine plugged in.
    Screw calibrating :eek: (I know I wont be doing that any time soon). I'm just going to use my laptop battery the way I want.

Don't worry about keeping it plugged in. It will just stop charging the battery. If you keep discharging it to 30% purposely, you're just going to run through cycles much faster than the average Joe. I guess you could make sure to calibrate it to get more accurate readings.

5. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I keep mine plugged in for the most part and calibrate it about once a month. After my last calibration the health dropped 2%. Didn't like that...

6. Gameaholic thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much helping a beginner out :). It's good to know that its safe keeping my MBP plugged in for a long period of time. And spinnerlys, ill definately check out those links.

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Spinnerlys is right, you can keep it plugged in for a maximum of a month at a time, and then you will need to unplug it and calibrate it. Also, what happened to your old avatar picture? You know, the one that says "MacRumors bewbie"...

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It got replaced by this image, and then a composite of that image and the other image.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bewbie was getting old, even though I like them. :)

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I know that, I was just wondering why you got rid of it...

I like them too :D

10. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

I have also been wondering about this specifically when i play some games, thanks guys! ;) its much appreciated.

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It was not visible enough and was hiding in the background.

Mammophile pervert. :D

12. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

My battery is @ 97% which iStat says funny thing is i got it a few days ago...

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Quite normal. Read the links spinnerlys posted earlier.

14. demonsavatar macrumors regular

Not sure if your implying the calibration brought down the health or not. If you are, it is possible that the calibration just revealed that it lost 2% health. Perhaps ignorance is bliss though :)

15. vistadude macrumors 65816

Just use it as you wish and don't worry about charging it at specific percentages. Just don't leave it plugged in for weeks at a time.

16. PUD the Ancient macrumors newbie

I have just looked at the battery guide and I just have a question. After the battery has been fully charged and then left plugged in for a few hours, you unplug until it goes to sleep. Once it has gone to sleep can you then turn it off and plug it back in to charge? or do you have to leave it in sleep for five hours?

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your answer is in the instructions, which are quite clear:

18. demonsavatar macrumors regular

You don't just wait for it to go to sleep (which they do by default in ~15min), you use the computer and wear down the battery until the computer forces itself into sleep mode. Then you wait 5+ hours while the battery drains even more and dies completely. THEN you plug it back in and fully charge it.

In summary here is the full calibration procedure that Apple specifies:

19. sotiredofsoup macrumors member

If it is always plugged in, I would just make sure you have a surge protector. It's common sense for most people, but a lot of people overlook it. It evens out spikes in the current to prevent unnecessary wear on your power adapter and battery (or so it was explained to me).