Just got a new 27 Inch iMac, Feeling Worried About a Refresh!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Arcadia310, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Arcadia310 macrumors regular

Hey all. I just got a brand new 27 inch iMac the other day and this thing is amazing. My previous machine was a 13 inch Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro so this is a HUGE upgrade for me. However, I can't help but feel that Apple is going to refresh the iMac's very soon. Not just a hardware refresh but a design change and a screen resolution increase. I know Apple can make these things thinner and rumors have it they will introduce "retina" displays onto the iPad 3 and MacBook Pro. If so, they'd have to up the ante on the iMacs then as well. And with their purchase of that SSD company in Israel (forgot the name, sorry) we'll probably start seeing SSD's become commonplace on all Mac products.

Since I produce videos I was looking into buying more RAM and an SSD for my iMac. I went with the base 27 inch model so I only have 512MB for the graphics which I feel bad about. It also sucks that the i5 processors in the iMac's don't support hyper threading. If I stuck an SSD and 16GB of RAM into this iMac do you guys think I'll see a substantial performance increase in Final Cut Pro?

Looking into the long term future, I don't think this machine will be the best option for me. I really needed something to replace my MacBook Pro ASAP and was planning on getting an Air, but once I saw this 27 inch screen I just had to get it. What is the likelihood we'll see a big iMac refresh next year? If Apple increases the screen res and changes the design at all, I'll have to sell my current machine and get one which will be a hassle. Do you guys think I made a bad decision? I'm not one who like to wait for months on end because it may get released, nor am I someone who will be replacing their iMac on a yearly basis. I just want a future proofed machine that'll be able to hang for the next 2-4 years. I also plan on getting an Ivy Bridge MacBook Air when they drop.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pretty much assured, because they update them every year.

3. Arcadia310 thread starter macrumors regular

Not just a slight hardware refresh. I'm talking about something big, like a screen res increase or a new design.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nobody knows. Unlikely, imo.

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

The current iteration of iMac has only been out since late 2009, three years is quite a short span for one of their computer designs these days, especially since Apple no longer prioritise computer redesigns as a means of maintaining brand interest. They have the iPad and iPhone for that now.

I think the likelihood of a "retina display" style screen for the iMac is pretty low too, given the already massive pixel count of the current models. 5120x2880 seems a bit of a way off yet.

I'd sooner see an iMac with a smaller screen, around 23" or 24" and a hi-res display, however. So as much as I don't see it happening, I'd like it to.

6. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

to the OP, you need to regain your senses.
    why are you worried about a computer update?
    some people are worried when they are going to eat next...

firstly, you bought a computer that is amazing yet you dont think its quite right for you.

secondly, no computer is futureproof...the mere foundation of computing is based on advancing and creating.

thirdly, your imac will last you for 4 years perfectly well...as you were correct about it being amazing....my 2.4 aluminium running SL is now almost 4 years old and is still fast and without a hitch.

in short, either sell your mac and get a new one if its not right for you, or enjoy what youve got and stop worrying about it...

7. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I would say in the fall, summer at the soonest. You could exchange it for a better model.

8. mankymanning macrumors regular

I bought one about 6 months ago, they always come out with new stuff - don't worry about it. Enjoy it for what it is now.

The only thing which would annoy me slightly is the introduction of USB3 as I really could do with this, nobody seems interested in producing a Thunderbolt -> USB adapter and if it appears natively then the chances of an adapter appearing reduce.

9. leman macrumors 604

New design: probably.

Screen res increase? The iMacs already have some of the highest resolution-to-screen-size ratios on the market, what do you want to increase here? I mean, the next logical step would be 3840×2160 (QFHD). I highly doubt that there is a technology which would allow to produce a sub 30" panel of such resolution and still remain affordable; and we are not even talking about how much pressure such resolution would put onto already quite limited GPU of an iMac. What would be a practical benefit of increased resolution? Better yet: why would you want increased resolution? I think, 1440p suits the 27" display just fine, the pixels are small enough to avoid any serious aliasing and it can fit loads of information. Simply increasing the resolution won't give you more practical screen estate or image quality (or do you want to operate your computer via a magnifying glass?) — increasing the resolution would also require to increase the display size; but do you really want to have a 56" iMac?

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

OMG. A refresh could be coming soon!!!! Arghgh!!!! I wish someone talented could produce a scary horror movie poster with "THE REFRESH!" as the film's title. Man, it's scary stuff.

If it's such a taxing and scary experience, then I would suggest not buying computers in the future.

11. tyche macrumors 6502

When it comes to Apple products, they always come out with a new model and they always make it sound like a must buy. The 2012 iMac will come out and it will be "up to 8x faster this" "up to 10x times faster that" as if the last model was a piece of crud. Reality is more down to earth.

Don't worry about what is coming enjoy what you have. If at some point, you can't do the things you need to then look at if you want to buy a newer model. I have a 2010 model and it's still more than I need. I have at least 2 years before I even think about a new one. And then I will be looking at the 2014 model which is "up to 8x faster this" "up to 10x times faster that" of the 2013 :)

12. whjoyjr macrumors newbie

There are always refreshes "around the corner"...

It sounds like you are not happy with your current machine for its current limitations, no SSD and the lower end graphics card. If you are still within your return window, and you have the funds to do so, return the iMac you have and order a BTO or visit the Refurb section of the online store and select a machine there. That is where I got my 27" 2011 iMac i& 3.4Ghz with 1Gb Video Card for about $400 off retail. They often have units with the SSD in them, but you have to act fast...

13. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

intel is coming out with ivy bridge in april, you can expect a new refresh sometimes in the may-summer timeframe.

Hopefully with something like the 7970m to go with it, and usb 3.0, that would really be something.

I also dream about them trimming the fat on the bottom, but thats unlikely. if you are happy with what you have, dont think about a refresh, that being said, if you want to have the latest and the best, buying a imac now isnt the best thing to do

14. MTI macrumors 65816

I agree with some of the previous posts . . . a computer is a device, a tool, a thing . . . to be used to make your life and work more productive. You buy the best tool you can afford to do the job(s) you need it to do and get on with it. Annual updates are a way of life in the modern business cycle, so just accept that a brand new shiny thing, computer, phone, pad, car, camera, tv will come out next year. ;)

15. Akack macrumors 6502a

Just enjoy your purchase, there will always be something better/faster in the horizon.

16. Arcadia310 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you guys think it would be worth it to exchange my current iMac for the the next model up that has the 1GB graphics card? Again, I do a lot of video production. Some of you are acting as if I have no use for the increased specs and need to shut up. This is a big investment so I need to make sure I'll have a powerful machine for video production that'll last the next 2-3 years.

17. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Telling people to shut up doesn't really help your case in getting advice/help on forums. Just fyi.

Sadly we dont have the gift of seeing into the future, i dont know if the base 27 will get a 1gb card, and all opinions is based on one thing, and thats guessing.

And if you need it or not really depends on how much video/picture work you do, and how long you will future proof your computer. Since applications in the future will use more and more vram.

Also RAM helps alot, and having a cpu with HT, helps with encoding times, at least if you have big files. SSD will make the scrubbing trough video faster, and also importing video, however, ssd are size limited and when working with video and big files, you soon run out of space. Also, if you are thinking about installing your own ssd in your imac, remember, its a tricky process.

18. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

He didn't tell anyone to shut up. Just an fyi..

He was implying that people are telling him to shut up about what he might need, you simply read it wrong.

Also, I have the late 2009 iMac 2.66Ghz and it just now needed to go into Apple for repair. Just a little more than two years, but it should come back working like a charm. I am waiting for Ivy Bridge because I just want the flexibility of having USB 3.0, that is a good specific future proof for me.

19. srxtr macrumors 6502a

For the next 2-3 years? Your 2011 model should suffice then.

I myself am one of those playing the waiting game, hoping Apple will come out with an awesome cool super duper new iMac.

20. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The wait is killing me.

When do you guys think well start hearing rumors?

21. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

I do not know for you, but when the rumor's kicks in i will have a even harder time waiting...
    But for the love of god i hope they throw a nice graphic card in it.

22. henrikrox, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Well apple did something right in 2011 and brought in the 6970m.

If we get the 7970m, we should be really happy tbh. Considering there is no specs out on the 7970m, we cant really say how much more oomph it will get over the 6970m, but the jump from 6970 to the 7970 desktop version is significant, also it draws less power, and is very over clock friendly.

So we can only hope.

Ivy bridge quad core, with usb 3.0 and 7970m will be a beast.

or maybe we will get gtx680m. I just think the wait is exciting.

Also if its history has learned us something, then the 7970m will be based on the 7700 desktop version, and the gtx680m, will be based on the gtx660 desktop

23. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

A 7970m should be based on a 6950 or something. A 7700 series is too slow for that fake moniker. Time will tell. AMD can do whatever they want with the mobile branding. I'd rather have a fatter case and a REAL desktop GPU.

24. srxtr macrumors 6502a

+1 to that.

I just want an iMac powerful enough to handle Diablo 3 at a decent setting when it comes out.

25. oosk2k11 macrumors newbie

By tricky, he means 99% impossible. I bought the high end 27" 2011 iMac with no SSD, then a cheaper SSD to install. Even Apple authorized repair centres couldn't do it, as the iMac without the SSD has no room inside for one. The iMac that comes with the SSD is pretty much tailor made. Not to mention that refitting different drives inside causes the fan to go nuts. In the end, I got a full refund, and paid Apple for the SSD version.