Just got a new MBP - how picky should I be?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jruc4871, Feb 20, 2010.

1. jruc4871 macrumors regular

Hi all. I just got a 'new' unibody 13" MBP from the refurb store. I know that new ones are coming out. I'm OK with that. The price was right and this is a nice little machine.

Two issues: it's wobbles. The left front 'foot' doesn't touch at the same time as the others. I've tried this on multiple surfaces. It's rather annoying.

Other issue: the trackpad doesn't click consistently across the pad. This is not as big of a deal as I prefer to tap.

My question is, how picky should I/can I be about the wobbling issue? It's obviously supposed to lie flat. I'll probably notice it forever.

Has anyone else faced a similar problem with these machines? Would Apple swap for a new one or replace? Does the fact that it's a refurb have any bearing on their response?

Thanks much for any thoughts.

2. Razeus macrumors 601

...you're going to be so disappointed come Tuesday.

3. jruc4871 thread starter macrumors regular

I actually won't. Thanks for your concern though.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If it really bothers you, take it back. Nobody else can really answer this question for you.

5. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

If it doesn't do what it's designed to do then you can take it back. Refurb machines should work like new, just have a few minor cosmetic issues at most.

6. acurafan macrumors 6502a

test it on a flat surface?? take it to the store and they will replace the plastic pegs (?), or just call apple request an exchange.

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i think your going to be disappointed tuesday....haha

8. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

mail it back and apple will gladly fix the issue. I'm surprised that this exists on a refurb, a computer that should have had QC twice.

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

If you have it on a flat surface and it wobbles, that would certainly annoy me! Have it replaced.

10. Absent macrumors member

You paid a premium. Even if you aren't getting premium hardware, you're still guarantied a premium user experience! Don't settle for less!

11. bigaudiofanatic macrumors regular

Is there new MBP 15's coming out. :eek::confused:

12. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

both of these are common issues and have been discussed before. I believe the trackpad issue is normal, and the feet can be adjusted fairly easily if you want save a trip to apple. Mine wobbles a tiny bit too from that left foot and I got it new not refurbed. But I find it only bothers me on certain surfaces and I have been waiting until I upgrade the ram before I open it up.
    I certainly though suggest making the adjustment yourself rather trust someone else touching your computer.

13. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

No reason to be a dick just because you think he should have waited or you think the 13 is not a pro machine.

14. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Regarding the trackpad, you're only able to click it at the bottom of the pad; it's a "hinged" design and it's not able to be clicked at the top, that's just how it's designed. I'm not sure if that's what you meant by clicking not being consistent, but that's how it's designed.

15. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

no...no proof at all of that

16. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Absolute top of the trackpad doesn't click. Bottom presses down the most.

17. Absent macrumors member

I'm not intending to be a dick, so stop being a dick by calling me a dick, you dick! I think everyone around these forums agrees that the current hardware is not premium. But if it satisfies you, go to town! These are baller ass computers regardless. The OP wanted advice on how picky he should be. My advice was and is: Don't settle for anything less than what Apple is claiming to sell, a premium user experience, which is what he paid for and what he deserves.

18. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

HUH???? only the bottom is supposed to click . I have 2 brand new ones sitting in front of me and am a tad confused by your statement?

19. mac88 macrumors 6502

Don't settle. You paid a lot of money for that and you deserve to get your money's worth. Return it until your satisfied. Good luck!

20. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

The top of the trackpad on the unibodies (like right at the edge) doesn't click downwards or if it does, requires lots of effort.

21. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

You've been on the board since 2005. . .Still brought the last generation when you know an update is coming up within weeks.

How picky should you be? YOU paid not us so WE can't tell you how to feel. . .but you should try to have a genius look at it. If it bothers you alot.

Good luck:cool:

22. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I'd take it in, what do you have to lose? You paid alot for this machine, and it should be (close to) perfect.

Good luck.

23. jruc4871 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the helpful comments.

Yeah. New one coming out soon. Got it. Thanks. I also got what I think to be a good price on a refurb and I wanted a MBP now. The forthcoming revision was not the point of my thread, but I understand that people on this forum need to obsess. Loud and clear. Got it. Enjoy waiting and congrats on your new machine in 1 or 8 weeks.

Anyways, For those who actually read my questions, thank you. It seems like I may have a reasonable concern and I might just take it in to investigate the wobble. I asked for advice based on experience and actually got some.

Forums are great!

24. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

I have a refurb MBP 5,1
    it is impossible to tell it apart from a new one.
    My mom got a refurb as well - it looks brand new.

25. gazzamac macrumors member

I would definitely take mine back as the wobbling would annoy me. My mbp sits nicely on all 4 rubber feet and you are entitled for yours to do the same.