Just got a nice 500MHz Graphite iMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 128keaton, Jul 3, 2014.

1. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Only payed $30! I guess my incessant whining about the over-pricing finally payed off.
    [​IMG]

Currently, I am playing a toddler game I played 12 years ago, memories hahahaha.

It is running 9.2.1, and has a boatload of software installed. Microsoft Word, Internet Explorer, Final Cut Pro, iMovie, Dreamweaver, iTunes (and more, haven't sifted through the drive yet).

I plan to upgrade the 3.5" IDE to something quieter, after that, it will be as silent as a mouse :D.

The speakers sound a bit tinny (dusty), but the case has virtually no scratches, the CRT is very bright, and the CD drive works speedily (not like my failing Cube).

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I picked up that exact model off the side of the road three days ago. It was rained on and a bit muddy, but cleaned up it chimes right up without a problem. The CRT is starting to go, so I'll probably strip it for parts then dispose of it.

3. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

How can you tell if the CRT is failing? Mine seems strong and vibrant, takes about a second to fully 'warm up'.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's dimmer than it should be at max brightness/contrast and half of it has a grey hue to it. The hard drive's SMART reports 32,700+ hours of use on it. Gotta say I'm surprised the CRT lasted that long.

5. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

You'll definitely hear a difference with a new drive. I picked up an iMac G3 Snow for $5 and the drive was so noisy, changed it out for an 80gb drive (after some issues with a bigger drive) and it's super quiet now.

6. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

Oh snap, I think the smallest IDE I have is ~150Gbs, they can't go over 200Gbs correct?

Hmm, I need to check my SMART stats, glad my CRT isn't failing, as said before, it is REALLY bright.

7. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Well I was told to partition it to 100gb but that was after many attempts to rectify the problem. So to save myself some grief I just installed an old drive I had from an old pc I had as a kid. I also installed 1gb of ram and it runs pretty good considering it's age.

8. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

I might consider some RAM, but on OS 9, it runs pretty smooth. I was thinking I might install 10.0 Dev Preview on it :D.

9. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Yeah doubt you'll need much ram in that case. I installed Tiger and occasionally use it to surf and watch YouTube with Mactubes.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you want, you can easily switch the Cube's and the G3 iMac's optical drives. They are the only two Macs that use that particular model optical drive.

11. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

How does one discover how many hours are on the drive?

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Code:
    smartctl -a /dev/disk0 | grep "Power_On_Hours" | awk ' { print ( $(NF-0) ) }'

13. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

Nah, I'm good, the cube is really for show (OS 9, 10.2). I played games, but the whole setup was finicky.

14. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Doesn't seem to show anything. :confused:

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because you don't have smartmontools installed. smartctl is a command included with that package.

16. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

Now, its up on the web! I maxed out the RAM with 1333MHz Crucial 2x512mb sticks, and it is a HUGE performance upgrade from the 384MB it had. Now, using Classilla, I am slowly browsing the bloated, modern day web. I installed 10.1 Public Beta on here, and I will go to 10.2, then 10.3, then 10.4 during a video recording time-lapse. Expect that in a month since I am leaving tomorrow for a summer excursion, hehe.

17. jst333 macrumors newbie

I had one of these, and there was a firmware update that fixed the osX screen brightness issue. I remember the brightness was fine in os9, but osX reduced the brightness.

18. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The screen dims due to age, not a firmware incompatibility. The only firmware update for G3 iMacs was to correct a blank screen problem when booting in to OS X.

19. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Oh, I forgot to mention in the other thread, I used a 120GB WD with 20GB off partitioned for OS 9 successfully in a pink iMac G3 DV, some years ago, the rest had OS X on it.
    If you read that 200GB limit in the other thread (where Ih8reno asked), I was referring to this doc http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2544 that says, under 9.2.2 you have to make no partition bigger than 200GB, IF in the first place your Mac supports drives over 128GB. The iMac G3 does not. Apple says in the document above, that all models before June 2002 don't, to make the info complete here (for other users and later reference), it is some Quicksilver PowerMac G4s that do and don't support it, it depends not only on the production/introduction year, but the Motherboard used, which one read here http://www.macos9lives.com/mac os 9 lives_003.htm

The above OS 9 link has also a lot of other OS 9 fun (including tips about software and free stuff. Since you already have 9.2.1 you will be allowed to use the free 9.2.2 Update by Apple. The index in the Apple support database is still existant, but if you click on the link for "english", you get an error. In the OS 9 forum you can ask/find how to upgrade still.

On the 128GB limit in Macs before 2002, people often mention the Hi-Cap "driver" by Initech (a firmware thing). Intell said, that this does not work in iMac G3s. Here they don't say it won't work http://lowendmac.com/2005/how-big-hard-drive-imac-emac-power-mac-powerbook-ibook/ they only say big drives do not make sense to buy the Initech driver, since you have the same speed as with booting from an external Firewire400 drive, for an iMac because of the ATA33, but your model is an iMac with ATA66 anyway ;)

If you use a 160GB HDD to use the full 128GB possible, put the HDD in your Mac and then format it with an install disc. I was told some time ago, that the drive will make problems, if you partition only 128GB of it in a Mac that supports big drives and then use the drive in your iMac. Also, Hitachi once told me to better not use a 160GB drive in a Mac with 128GB limit, because files used for the system could be written in the part of the drive that is not seen, and that could cause problems or even prevent it from starting the next time. I am not sure, how they come to say this, maybe they mean, if one formats the whole 160GB and then puts it in a 128GB-limit-Mac afterwards, were only the 128GB will be seen, but there is a hidden part that theoretically per HFS+ is writable. Still not sure, why the Mac should write to that area then... *wondering/head-cratching-smilie* (the new "confused" smily looks very mean on a 12" display... :confused: ) (it was talked about here http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12710831&postcount=46)

Oh, also OS 9 has to be in the first partition, if you have another for OS X, too. Some say, this only applies to tray-load iMacs (others might confirm!) and I read that the picture in disc utility shows the 2nd partition as the upper, right? or was it the other way round? So long since I had to know that.

Or do you mean in what sizes the HDDs are available? There was another thread recently, that mentioned that. The biggest build was a 500GB 3,5 PATA HDD. Seagate build a rare 750GB PATA HDD. What I didn't know before, it seems Samsung had a 400GB SATA HDD with a PATA connector for OEM stuff.
    But if it is true, that you can't use the Intech driver and no big drive, the biggest you will look out for will be a 160GB (discarding the rest ofer the 128GB) or a 120GB HDD.
    Since some have become expensive, you might want to use a cheaper SATA drive (2,5" will work, too) and use a ATA-SATA adapter.
    Install Volitan SMART Utility, it is free for the first 5 uses or 28 days, what ever comes later. SMART Reporter is free for ever, but I found it not warning me about drives that were really at the end of their lifes with many errors. Both have a GUI and you don't need terminal commands.

20. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I did not state that big drive drivers do not work in G3 iMacs.

21. jst333 macrumors newbie

Got it, I couldn't remember the specific's, it was so long ago. Just that i had to upgrade the firmware for osX to display properly.

22. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I can attest to this...I formatted a couple of "big" disks(I think a 160gb and a 200gb) by way of a USB IDE adapter and my G5. I kept all the partition sizes well under 120gb. When I put these in my G4 DA, it would not read them until I reformatted them in that computer.

Since I have a big stash of 80gb drives and not very many "big" drives(a scrounger has what a scrounger finds), I keep the "big" drives for m 2002 Quicksilver and other computers that can use their full capacity. My computers that are capped at 128gb get 80gb drives.

23. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Oh, ok, I misread this then.

Hence I thought that Intech driver just enables what is already supported in the latter Macs.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=19309538&postcount=27

24. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That was in reference to the hidden LBA-48 support on Gigabit Ethernet, Cubes, Digital Audio, and early Quicksilvers and how G3 iMacs don't have that hidden support.

25. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Yes, but does that mean, that the certain Mac has to have that hidden support in order to make the Intech driver work or does the Intech driver add support to machines, that don't have it hidden.