Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Just got a phone call from "UNKNOWN". I answered without looking to see who was calling and no one said anything. The few calls that I have gotten from numbers I did not recognize I block them from calling again but there is no number to block from this phone call.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone here?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Yep. "Unknown" as well as occasionally strings of digits that cannot be real phone numbers. I wish there were a way to whitelist numbers rather than just blacklisting them.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
About 20 years ago it was popular, at least where I am from, to pay the phone company extra to block your number from caller ID. My mom still has friends who keep this up, for some strange reason. If you look at her phone log half of it is filled with "unknown".

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
I have no idea who called you.

I don't know. Who knows...

Coulda been anyone. No one knows.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It's not a conspiracy. They simply blocked their # most likely. I get one from Unknown when my buddy in the secret service would call from the office. Private comes up when a family member calls from the house.

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
Just got a phone call from "UNKNOWN". I answered without looking to see who was calling and no one said anything. The few calls that I have gotten from numbers I did not recognize I block them from calling again but there is no number to block from this phone call.

The local UPS facility has their number as 'UNKNOWN' to keep anxious iPhone 6 recipients from constantly calling for updates. They actually do this!

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I used to use a service called TrapCall that unblocked numbers. I used it to find out who the little middle schoolers were that were calling me at all hours. At the time it was $4.95/month iirc.

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
It's not a conspiracy. They simply blocked their # most likely. I get one from Unknown when my buddy in the secret service would call from the office. Private comes up when a family member calls from the house.

There's a way you can actually manipulate what shows up on the receiver's caller ID, but I forgot how to do it. My friend use to call me all the time with random numbers that would come up as IRS, FBI, etc just to bust my chops.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
I get those from time to time. The VM from them is either silent or a telemarketer/robot. My phone is always on silence (vibrate off), so they always go to VM.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
My mom worked at a hospital for 30 years, and o always knew it was her calling from work bc caller ID would say "Unknown" or "Private."

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010

You got a call from UNKNOWN?! FROM UNKNOWN??!?!!?

OMG!!! OMG!!!

*starts shaking uncontrollably*

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Nothing unusual. Lots of companies and other block their caller ID.

All you need to do is dial *67 before the number you are going to call and it will block your ID.

Companies, solicitors do not wish you to have the number they are calling from.

When I see UNKNOWN, I send them to my VVM right off the bat!

DillonCawthon

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014
I had the app on my old driod where I could change my number to any other number. It was funny calling people from their ex's numbers. If they had the number in their phone it would show as that person's name too.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
OK, well I have had a iPhone since #3 and that's the first time I have gotten a phone call from an UNKNOWN or from someone I couldn't block. Guess I've been lucky.

Thanks for your replies.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Hmmm.. I just got hit with a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. Pretty much any call that comes from anybody that's not in my Contacts comes across as UNKNOWN.

At first I thought I was just getting a lot of telemarketer calls and was ignoring them. But then I realized they were actual calls - calls from clients, business and social contacts, pharmacies, doctor's offices, the kid's school - etc - all of them showing up as UNKNOWN.

I called AT&T who had me reset a few settings on their phones and some things on their end. They couldn't resolve it. They escalated it to second level support, they couldn't fix it either.

They escalated it to third tier support who claimed they fixed it. But the problem kept occuring. Then the guy asked me to list all the people who had contacted me because their phone exchanges must be 'out of compliance.' WTH?!?!

Caller ID has worked just fine the 12 years I've been with AT&T, I have a hard time believing that somehow standards have changed. This is getting more than a little frustrating.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

More likely than not its a call from a Skype user. That is how it would appear if you get a call on your iphone from SKYPE.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
More likely than not its a call from a Skype user. That is how it would appear if you get a call on your iphone from SKYPE.

I think you mean well....but I don't think that's what the issue is. After I started having the problem, I looked on the Apple support forums and there turns out there are set of users impacted by a known issue with the VoLTE system they just implemented that is impacting Caller ID.

The result is that users aren't getting Caller ID information from numbers they received them from prior to the update. In my case, if a number isn't a former contact it shows up as UNKNOWN. Landline, cell phone, business or personal. The issue isn't limited to a specific carrier or phone...just VoLTE.

The good news (for carriers) is it seems to be limited to certain users. The bad news, especially for those of us impacted, is they don't seem to have an ****** clue how to fix it. People have been escalated to '4th level' support only to be given a set of flimsy excuses and promises to get back' as they try to figure it out.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

Yes, this has happened to me, but the people calling me from UNKNOWN no#'s were recruiters from a job I was applying for that didn't want their no#'s posted in career job sites. There is no way to block them.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Don't know about the US but in the UK, witheld numbers that call and no one is "there", is actually a bot that calls numbers on a data base. They will call certain numbers during the day to see who picks up and at what time so they know when they can call you with a marketing call because they know you will be there to pick up :)

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
I've been getting these for years, Android and iOS, new phones and old. Nothing major, just ignore the call.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I receive many UNKNOWN calls and notice if they leave a vm their number is displayed.

What makes it interesting is the most common UNKNOWN is from my home (which is in my contacts). Sometimes the number displays then at times it doesn't. Another common call is my office. It's frustrating because I can't resolve it.

An intentionally blocked incoming call usually displays BLOCKED for me.
Also, a large company doesn't need to block their internal number. It can be set up in the PBX to display the general company's ANI rather than the internal ANI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.