Just got an iPad 1 am I missing out?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Looon, May 24, 2011.

1. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

So I've been wanting an iPad for a while i just traded my PS3 for one today. The only thing is I'm wondering if I should sell this one and use the money to get a nice new ipad 2. Am I really missing out on anything other than the camera which I would never use. The main thing I want the ipad for is web browsing and watching movies on does the ipad 2 do either of those better enough to justify the extra money it would cost to upgrade. Obviously only I can answer the question but I would just like opinions from people who upgraded for 1 to 2

2. OSMac macrumors 65816

Keep what you have for now,
    the Retina version when it comes will be the one to upgrade too.

The 2 has :
    Cameras and iMovie capable
    Able to dim screen more, and make it more brighter
    Somewhat faster web page renders
    Faster processor

But in actual use unless you have them side by side you wont notice much.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Keep your iPad! Wait until the next upgrade, as the last poster said, the screen resolution upgrade is the thing to wait for. If you don't need the cameras, you will barely notice a difference between your ipad and the ipad 2. It's slightly lighter and faster, but all in all just an evolutionary upgrade. I went through this same dilemma with my ipad, and ultimately decided to keep mine until the next upgrade, i don't regret it a bit.

4. aneftp macrumors 601

It's all about perspective.

If you never had an iPad 1 to began with, you won't ever know the difference in terms of speed.

Because the iPad 1 is a faster browsing device compared to even an iPhone 4 (because it has it's A4 running at full speed compared to the iPhone 4's 700-800 mhz downgraded clockspeed).

Now if you played with someone else's iPad 2 (especially games), you will get jealous and want an iPad 2.

Internet browsing to me feels about 10-20% faster from iPad 2 compared to iPad 1.

But if you never had the original, you wouldn't know.

So keep your iPad 1 that you just traded for.

It will last you at least until the next iPad upgrade.

5. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

I just got my first gen in the mail today, plan on keeping it until the retina comes out, facetime would be nice but I can use the iphone 4 for that.

6. Tomacorno macrumors regular

I played with an iPad2 at Best Buy prior to purchasing a 3g Gen 1 from AT&T online for about half the going rate for the Gen 2 (refurbed 64Gig for $429). Been using if for a month and I really like it. If I have a lot of web pages open where I am going back and forth between pages I see some slight delays. I believe that is the small amount of RAM issue with the Gen 1, however; I saw some slight delays on some pages when playing with the Gen 2, so, there are a lot of factors at work when surfing with a mobile device.

I purchased Infinity Blade and had a kid comment on how good the graphics looked. I know that the graphics engine (if I am using the term correctly) is faster on the Gen 2 but since the screen and resolution are the same I don't think it matters that much in everyday use. I don't plan on playing with any Gen 2s for awhile though, as earlier posters said, if you are using the Gen 1 you won't notice ;)

I surf, some light gaming, note taking, calendar management, email, and play around with various apps. I do some longer writing with a full size blue tooth keyboard case (Rocket Fish). I am getting a lot of use out of it. It has replaced my Franklin Dayplanner and also my laptop for many things. I carry a lot of photos on it, some videos, and some music. I bought the camera kit and after taking some photos I just put them on to the iPad, tweaked them a little with Photoshop Express and sent them off. It is a nice device.

Now I have to get my family to buy me an iCade.

7. 06Honda macrumors regular

I have the IPAD also with the original OS and love it. Will keep it until it dies.

8. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ive tried both, in the end it was price that swung it for me, having tried both, and not playing any really intense games, I don't feel I'm missing much.

9. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I, like you had the same question(s) and went with the iPad 1. I don't play games on my iPad so I don't need the graphics update. I use my iPad for more business type stuff, and looking up information. As most others have said in this post...stay with your iPad 1.

10. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

You're not missing out on any earth shattering new feature by sticking with the original iPad. I still have my iPad, since the 2 didn't really introduce anything new that I absolutely needed. I'm sure I will purchase the iPad 3 when it's released. But for now, I would enjoy your original iPad.

11. ilovemyibook macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Why do you want your iPad to have the OS that came out of the box? Are you mad?

12. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

I had the iPad 1 for a year and the iPad 2 for about a month. I like the iPad 2 more but you're not really missing out much staying with the 1. What sold me on the 2 is actually the weight difference. It's minor but it's meaningful to me. Plus it seems a bit easier to hold for me.

13. 06Honda macrumors regular

Am I mad, just al little;) There doesn't seem to much point as it does everything I need. Doesn't seem to be much more qith the curent OS.

14. foiden macrumors 6502a

For most applications, save real minor ones, the iPad 1 does everything anybody would need. iPad 2 basically is for those who just *has* to have video conferencing on the iPad right now, and/or the iMovie stuff. Yeah, it has smoother performance on select programs (mostly by Apple), but the main reason I even got the iPad 2 is because I wanted to give my iPad 1 to a family member and it gave me the excuse to replace mine.

Still, as long as the iPad 1 is still doing what you like, and it's no slouch in performance itself, you really aren't missing much. The majority of my programs I use, I'd use on iPad 1 just as well. Ipad 2 is mainly the shiny new device with a camera. However, look at it this way, you could wait until the next iPad knowing it'll have iPad 2's cameras but with better features (and maybe better cameras).

15. jonhcox macrumors regular

I had the original and sold it for the iPad 2. Then I realized that my wife and I had an anniversary coming up so I bought her the iPad 2. I ended up buying a refurbished iPad. Between the two, I can see a difference. But it certainly wasn't enough to get a second iPad 2. I will wait until the iPad 3 comes out before upgrading. It handles almost everything I throw at it and I'm playing Lego: Harry Potter on it now with no issues.

It came from Apple looking absolutely brand new. No blemishes, no dust under the screen, etc. I'm super happy to have one back. Congrats on your trade- you'll not regret it.

16. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Why would you first buy it, and then afterwards invest time investigating which one to buy.

17. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

18. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

As an iPad 1 owner only, it is great for web browsing and watching movies. If I had an iPad 2, I may object, but the iPad 1 fits my needs.

19. Gqsmooth1981 macrumors newbie

The best test is for you to go get an iPad 2 and use it for a wk and see how younlike it compared to the iPad 1. I bough my iPad 1 3 month before the iPad 2 and I was sure I wasn't going to keep the iPad 2 but I said the he'll with it and got one anyways. Let me tell you, there are many differences and unless you held one in your hand and used it you won't really know. iPad 2 isn't just better because of apps and cameras.
    1) thinner design, looks and feel more comfortable to use.
    2) faster browser and processor(ESP if you intend to use it for movies...no skipping).
    3) cameras
    4) better apps
    5) Sc

Bottom line is to try it out yourself and take it from there.

20. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

That's not true. The iPad 2 is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the iPad 1, coming from someone who owned both. Like, significantly.

With that said, if you don't use intensive apps you'll be fine with iPad 1. I've benefitted GREATLY from the increased ram (doubled) increased processor (doubled) and significantly faster graphics architecture. (4-9 times depending on tests).

it's evolutionary for sure, but it's a wonderful upgrade.

21. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

The slimmer, lighter form factor is enough to upgrade alone - end of thread.

22. Plasmolyze macrumors newbie

If you sell the ipad now you could get ~$400 (assuming its 16gb.) Then all you will need is ~$150 more for the 16gb ipad 2. Then next year you could sell the ipad 2 for ~$450 and get ipad 3 for ~$100 more. That's $250 you would spend to be able to get ipad 3.

If you wait and keep ipad 1 and sell it next year you will get ~$150 for it. Then you will need ~$400 more to get ipad 3.

I'm just assuming what the prices will be but putting money aside. Now that you don't have a ps3 anymore you will be gaming on the ipad. The ipad 2 is way better for games than ipad 1 is so i recommend you get ipad 2.

23. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

I bought a refurbished 1 gen ipad a month ago and love it. I will be waiting for a high resolution screen and a 4g network before I upgrade in all likelihood.

24. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Nope, go jail break it and have a gas, the new one is ok but most of the jokers who promote the new one here on this thread are probably new ipaders and probably never had an iPad 1.

Enjoy it man!

25. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

+1. Much faster. Don't know people are saying it's slighty faster. I have my original and have tested them side by side. The 2 kicks the 1 to the curb.