iPad mini Just got an iPad, now what?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ben824, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ben824 macrumors regular

Ok so I have been a long time Apple product owner, iPhone since 2007, MacBook Pro since 2012, and now an iPad Mini! Now I have taken to using my Mini fairly well since I have had an iPhone for so long. But I do understand there are some significant differences in iOS between the two.

So my question for the the experienced is what should I know? Little tips and tricks or great apps that almost anyone would benefit from.

Thanks in advance! So far I am loving this thing!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, if it has a nice size storage space, load it up with viewing material like movies and videos. That is a start.

Depending on your likes and usage you'll start thinking on stuff to put in there.

3. pat park macrumors 6502a

Now begins the journey of buying every possible case, dock, Smart Cover, cable you can find!!

4. ben824 thread starter macrumors regular

It is only the 16 GB but I'm not loading it up with my music (8+ GB) like my iPhone. I have a few movies I could upload for viewing when I am board at work. I have installed a few apps that I knew I loved from my iPhone. Now just looking for fun apps and other tips and tricks for using it! For instance I just figured out the split keyboard and wow is that handy!

5. waa1futs macrumors 6502

Now you jailbreak ;)

6. EliCsuf macrumors member

Jetpack :D

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jetpack-joyride/id457446957?mt=8

7. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

8. stephen10309 macrumors newbie

You add music, games, videos and spend countless hours watching videos on YouTube like the rest of us.

I'm using the poetic ipad mini case right now and i Love it, you should look it up. Best 15 bucks I spent into my ipad!

9. ZuneMan? macrumors regular

10. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

11. kikima macrumors member

I just got my first iPad last week and my first order was a Portenzo.

12. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

Enable gestures, four finger pinch to close app, four finger swipe to switch between apps.
    Split the keyboard, put your two thumbs on it an slide them apart, makes typing while holding the ipad a lot easier.

13. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

Go to Apples iPad App Essentials section. Great place to start. Pick from those around your interest. A must IMO is a web reader type app like Zite for example. Flipboard is good too. Enjoy!

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

15. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

The only 'case' you need is the Smart Cover, otherwise you'll never see the great design:(

16. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

Get some apps, here's what use most often:

- iPhoto if you like editing/messing about with photos, you can do some really cool stuff if you take a few minutes to learn its slightly odd interface,
    - Reeder - great for syncing with Google Reader to get the latest feeds
    - TapTalk - for accessing forums like this
    - Zino - some great magazines like New Scientist
    - Kindle - for all your books
    - TED - Tell it your topic and how much time you have, and it will let you download short talks that are always fascinating.
    - Pages - Word Processor with spellchecking, MS Word compatibility
    - Keynote - Presentations ( don't forget the remote app for your iPhone)
    - Grand Theft Auto Vice City - because deep inside if everyone of us there's a need to run around Miami like a madman.
    - Dropbox - Access your files and backup photos automatically
    - Blogsy - Post rich, formatted blog posts to most blogging platforms.

I also have the HDMI adapter, so I often download a film or TV show to watch on the big screen. I put a few more http://www.lostinlogic.com/blog/2012/11/5-ipad-power-user-tips/'tips on my blog.

17. AppleRobert macrumors 603

The case I had for the Mini was not heavy/bulky but the design is what I was missing. So I went to a Smart Cover with a rear clear shell. Me likes much better!

----------

It well depends upon what you are interested in. Me personally, I don't even use Facebook so to each their own.

Listen to music, browse the web watch movies, play games, read, follow the news/weather/sports etc etc. If that doesn't do it for you, then return it is all I could say.