Just got an xbox 360, now what?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by ThE.MeSsEnGeR, May 2, 2011.

1. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

so, I just jumped the ship and bought an xbox 360 just because I've been too impatient to play the new Mortal Kombat game... which is fantastic btw.

anyway, so I have an xbox now, and I have a mac and an iPhone [and if it helps, last week I got a 2TB WD external drive]... hit me up with possible uses/apps/interactions/etc???

some people said that I could load the external drive with hundreds of movies and watch them on the TV through the xbox... some told me I can even use my iPhone as my controller...

bring on whatever you guys have in mind! I know there's a lot! :D

2. alukado macrumors member

Source : http://www.microsoft.com/athome/video/xboxmovies.aspx

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Great games!

Love Halo!

A lot of the smaller download games are fun too!

4. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

You can use it as a streaming device for encoded movies you have on an external drive. I have not been able to find a perfect encode yet though. H.264 movies that I encode myself all seem to have framerate issues and the .avi torrent files I download play perfectly. Even Netflix streaming has framerate issues.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My valuable advice is to play a game or watch a movie or play a game. :p

6. det2004 macrumors 6502

I used to use mine to watch Netflix before I got my Apple TV. Now I mainly use it to watch ESPN 3 and some of the archived college football games on there.

7. DCDOOM macrumors newbie

i CAN'T get my xbox 360 250g slim to connect on my network via airport extreme.. i've heard there are issues, or maybe just not being tech savy enough..

i've had no problem with my ipad, mac pro, google tv, or laptops.. just the 360

are ther especific directions when using airport extreme and 360?? i've scoured the net over, and can't find anything that has worked, or isn't even more confusing..

thanks.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What security have you set up ?

It works on mine with radio mode on

802.11n (802.11b/g compatible)
    Channel 1
    WPA/WPA2 Personal

9. Lara F macrumors 6502a

I have an white arcade 360 (on sale last year when the newest model released) so connected it directly via ethernet to my Airport Extreme. No issues...have you tried that?

10. DCDOOM macrumors newbie

i tried that.. i actually ran an ethernet cable from my router to my work laptop, ran ipconfig and got the ip it grabbed.. then plugged the ethernet into my xbox360, set the network config manually to that ip/dns/router.. and still nothing..

it just keeps failing at the first level and says it can't register a static IP..

i also set it to automatic and got nothing.

it is beyond frustrating as i know all the info on my router and network and what IP addresses are open, however the 360 just doesn't want to accept any of it.