Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
so, I just jumped the ship and bought an xbox 360 just because I've been too impatient to play the new Mortal Kombat game... which is fantastic btw.

anyway, so I have an xbox now, and I have a mac and an iPhone [and if it helps, last week I got a 2TB WD external drive]... hit me up with possible uses/apps/interactions/etc???

some people said that I could load the external drive with hundreds of movies and watch them on the TV through the xbox... some told me I can even use my iPhone as my controller...

bring on whatever you guys have in mind! I know there's a lot! :D

alukado

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
n this video, Erin demonstrates how she uses her Xbox 360 to stream Netflix movies directly to her TV. It really is as simple as she says to get Netflix up and running on your Xbox 360. Here’s how to do it.
Get the software and hardware

Xbox 360 gaming console. The Microsoft Store carries many different Xbox consoles, ranging in price from $199.99 - 399.99. Any of the Xbox 360 consoles will work, so pick your favorite.

Xbox Live Gold account. You can purchase an Xbox Live Gold membership online. When you purchase it, you can buy one for different durations of time. The shortest is a 3-month card ($19.99). A 12-month membership card is also available ($49.99).

Broadband Internet connection. A broadband Internet connection, often just called broadband, is a very fast Internet connection. Call your local cable or Internet provider to sign up for broadband Internet if you do not already have it in your home.

Netflix membership. With Netflix you can rent as many DVDs as you want and instantly watch movies (some new releases) and TV episodes (including current season) on your Xbox 360 console for one monthly subscription fee. Go to the Netflix website and sign up for the monthly package that appeals to you: Any of their subscription packages will work for this project.

Start streaming Netflix movies

Here are the steps to take to start streaming Netflix movies through your Xbox 360:

Step 1: Sign into your Xbox Live account. Need help getting your Xbox connected to the internet? Xbox can tell you how to do that.

Step 2: In the Xbox 360 Dashboard, move to the Video Marketplace, and select the show that is indicated by the Netflix logo. Select Confirm Download to download Netflix. As soon as the download finishes, select Play Now. An activation code is displayed. Write the code down because you will need to provide it to Netflix to complete your activation.

Step 3: Enter your activation code at Netflix.com/activate. When the code has been accepted, you should be able to scroll through your Netflix movie library in the Video Marketplace section of your Xbox 360 dashboard. Then, as you saw in the video, you can pick the Netflix movie on the screen, and it will load and play. As Erin noted in the video, you can pause the movie if you need to. If you have to turn off the movie before you’ve finished, the next time you queue up the video through your Xbox, you’ll have the option to resume watching the video rather than restarting – an excellent option!

If you need troubleshooting help with your Xbox and Netflix connection, a good place to start is the Xbox Live Support page.

Source : http://www.microsoft.com/athome/video/xboxmovies.aspx

StruckANerve

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Rio Rancho, NM
You can use it as a streaming device for encoded movies you have on an external drive. I have not been able to find a perfect encode yet though. H.264 movies that I encode myself all seem to have framerate issues and the .avi torrent files I download play perfectly. Even Netflix streaming has framerate issues.

det2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
I used to use mine to watch Netflix before I got my Apple TV. Now I mainly use it to watch ESPN 3 and some of the archived college football games on there.

DCDOOM

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
i CAN'T get my xbox 360 250g slim to connect on my network via airport extreme.. i've heard there are issues, or maybe just not being tech savy enough..

i've had no problem with my ipad, mac pro, google tv, or laptops.. just the 360

are ther especific directions when using airport extreme and 360?? i've scoured the net over, and can't find anything that has worked, or isn't even more confusing..

thanks.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
i CAN'T get my xbox 360 250g slim to connect on my network via airport extreme.. i've heard there are issues, or maybe just not being tech savy enough..

are ther especific directions when using airport extreme and 360?? i've scoured the net over, and can't find anything that has worked, or isn't even more confusing..

thanks.

What security have you set up ?

It works on mine with radio mode on

802.11n (802.11b/g compatible)
Channel 1
WPA/WPA2 Personal

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec

thanks.

I have an white arcade 360 (on sale last year when the newest model released) so connected it directly via ethernet to my Airport Extreme. No issues...have you tried that?

DCDOOM

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
I have an white arcade 360 (on sale last year when the newest model released) so connected it directly via ethernet to my Airport Extreme. No issues...have you tried that?

i tried that.. i actually ran an ethernet cable from my router to my work laptop, ran ipconfig and got the ip it grabbed.. then plugged the ethernet into my xbox360, set the network config manually to that ip/dns/router.. and still nothing..

it just keeps failing at the first level and says it can't register a static IP..

i also set it to automatic and got nothing.

it is beyond frustrating as i know all the info on my router and network and what IP addresses are open, however the 360 just doesn't want to accept any of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.