Just got brand new MPB 2017 with scratches and light leak

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dluffy, Dec 6, 2017.

1. dluffy macrumors newbie

Hey guys, so after a long wait I finally got my MBP 2017 15'' in space grey and it's supposed to be my work machine. This is actually my first Mac and I am really excited.

Now here is the thing. I opened it and found a few dings (here is an album with pictures).

Now even though they are only visible under certain light, these dings are really annoying considering the price I paid for this thing.

Especially the ding under the right speaker and there is one at the lowest edge of the display frame where it connects to the hinge basically. This one is really weird but on the pictures you won't really be able to see it.

Also when I updated the thing yesterday night, I noticed there was a little light leak at the lowest edge of the display frame as well, just below the Macbook Pro logo.

Now I contacted the company and I have to choices, return it and get a new one or get some money off (I'll now how much when they write me back).

I don't know what to do. If I send it back, I'll have to wait again and the new one might have the same problems. There are other people having exactly the same ding as me in some threads here.

Now I actually wanted to keep it because I already got it for 400 bucks less on a sale and if I'd get even more off I'd live with it, but that light leak even though it's only very small concerns me and that little ding at the display connection worries me, too.

What should I do? For how much money off would you keep it? This is my first mac and I was really excited so please help me out.

2. Nixir macrumors member

lightleak is just a fact of LCD displays, but the ding is definitely annoying, I'd take it back for exchange.

3. Honza1 macrumors member

Well, it's a tool - very expensive for sure, but still, just a tool. With my carrying it around I collect such dings in few days. So if it was me - and everything else worked as expected I would not (Personally!) bother. What you do is your decision, Apple will exchange it without arguing.
    I have bigger problems with crashing my 2017 MBP when I connect external monitor and similar serious issues after upgrading to HS. Those are serious. Small dings will be there in few days anyway - unless you put it in glass box and never use. So call it "head start" and use it.

4. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

I can't believe this is STILL happening. Especially the one under the right speaker - that's been a common manufacturing issue since they first launched.

Definitely exchange it if you can, it isn't acceptable.

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

I would exchange it. Mine came with zero scratches or issues (knocks on wood).

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Just exchange it its brand new they'll change it no questions asked.

7. dluffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah dude, you are right of course, it is a tool, but it's a very expensive tool and if there are these dings right out of the box, it's really annoying. Now I am on the same boat as you, if it happens because it's my fault, I am actually able to easily live with it. But right out of the box dude, come on? You don't pay 3000 to get a scratched one right out of the box that isn't your fault. You want a brand new one and if it happens later, I'll accept it and forget it quickly because these are "my" dings, you know.

Who knows, maybe I have got an older manufacturing model? I didn't order through apple so maybe that is why.

I would exchange it in a heartbeat, especially now that I got the email, and they told me they only want to give me 30€ off, but it would piss me off to wait for days again, without a normal work computer. The next apple store is like hours away and the store of the company I ordered it through, too.

I just wrote them an email, asking if they could send me a new unit and then if it arrives, and I checked if everything is alright, I send the old one back. Hope they agree on this.

8. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Did this come from an Apple Authorized store?

Truthfully, based on the images, the physical markings looks like a used system more than it does quality assurance errors. Further, the locations of some of those markings are also in areas where one would expect to see wear on a used system...

9. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Agree on it being used especially the TB3 port

10. dluffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it was an apple authorized store here in Germany. Everything was also correctly packaged. I specifically asked them in my email if it is second hand, but they assured me that it's not.

Any way I can check if this one was used before? Like I once read somewhere you can check the charging cycles of your macbook or something.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 at 5:23 AM ---
    Well if it's normal, that's cool, doesn't really bother me. It's just that if you don't know it's normal, and you got these dings there, you kinda get worried that your new laptop has got some problems lol

11. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

You could go into Apple —> About this Mac, click on AppleCare / warranty status and see if your MBP has a sales date earlier than your purchase date. Can’t remember exact menu navigation without Mac in front of me but this should be close.

No guarantees but if the date is earlier than your purchase date, that would be a marker of a used system.

12. dluffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Just checked battery cycles and it says 2 which should be right for the usage I had. When I first got it, I used it without the power adapter for an hour or so, then plugged in the power adapter and left it in there up until half an hour ago where I unplugged it. Does that count as 2 already, I don't know?

Again, I just hope these guys can send me a new one without me having to send it back first and then go through the hassle of having to wait for them till they get it, register everything and send me a new one, which would take forever especially now since the weekend is coming up.

13. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

Supposedly, battery cycle count is the number of times 100% of the battery has been used. If you use it for 10 times and discharge/recharge 10% of your battery, this should be equivalent to one charge cycle.

14. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Believe it or not this is common build quality on the 15” 2016 and 2017 Pros. Even the wear around the ports. I had a few, they went back!

15. dluffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's what I read, too. Kinda disappointing from apple. The company that is known for attention to detail and the best quality control. Read about this all these years and finally after years of wanting one of these high-quality machines, you get one that has dings and even read that it is common.

16. jerryk macrumors 68030

17. dluffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes exactly like this one. I have even seen this when I was googling about this. You can also see it in the imgur album I posted in the original post. It looks exactly the same. Sad that there are more people with this problem. Some people in these threads even report returning the Macbook multiple times and having the same type of scratches again and again.