Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
leekohler said:
Please give me some words. Thanks.

You already answered it yourself. Swallow your pride and keep working there until you have found another job that is better. Especially if you're in debt and have low savings.

Sorry to hear about it, best of luck

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
dynamicv said:
Possibly the cause of this happening Lee. In a small firm, you can get on with the job and everybody knows how good you are, but in a larger shop you need to make a bit of "corporate noise" to make sure the people at the top know your name without having to be reminded of it. It's okay to occasionally push your weight around and tell people when you've done something right. As long as you don't make a career of only doing that people don't think any worse of you.

Think of your own career like a product campaign if it helps. Selling yourself should be easy for someone in your line of work :p

Let us know what you decide. You may as well, because we'll only ask scem0 if you don't. :D

Thanks man. And no, I usually don't toot my own horn. I looked at this as just standing up for myself. As angry as I've been the last few days, I really made sure not to burn bridges (and maybe build a few). I hope that it works in my favor. We'll see.

As for scem0, he's been a big help even if he can be an opinionated little b**** sometimes. :) I love him to death.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
yes, I have been an opinionated little bitch :D. From the day I first started talking to Lee to now all I've heard is bad things about his job. If I had it my way he'd be far far away from that company; he is much better than them. While his coworkers might appreciate him for what he does, he isn't getting rewarded the way he should, and they aren't respecting him at all.

I'm really glad that people have offered Lee so much help, but I think Lee would be happiest away from the corporate world in general. Lee is too much of an individual to be taking orders from anyone, much less from a company that doesn't respect him the way they should.

But if transferring accounts will get Lee fair work hours and a little respect for his hard work then I'll quit being such an opinionated bitch ;), but until then...

I'll see how this new account goes, if Lee chooses to do that, but I won't stand for people treating him unfairly. If he has to deal with more ******** in the new account I'll fly myself to Chicago and personally beat up everyone at his company that hasn't respected Lee the way they should.

e

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
scem0 said:
yes, I have been an opinionated little bitch :D. From the day I first started talking to Lee to now all I've heard is bad things about his job. If I had it my way he'd be far far away from that company; he is much better than them. While his coworkers might appreciate him for what he does, he isn't getting rewarded the way he should, and they aren't respecting him at all.

I'm really glad that people have offered Lee so much help, but I think Lee would be happiest away from the corporate world in general. Lee is too much of an individual to be taking orders from anyone, much less from a company that doesn't respect him the way they should.

But if transferring accounts will get Lee fair work hours and a little respect for his hard work then I'll quit being such an opinionated bitch ;), but until then...

I'll see how this new account goes, if Lee chooses to do that, but I won't stand for people treating him unfairly. If he has to deal with more ******** in the new account I'll fly myself to Chicago and personally beat up everyone at his company that hasn't respected Lee the way they should.

e

Aww...I knew there was a reason I loved you. :eek:

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
leekohler said:
Ugh- guys, my company restructured again and I just got demoted along with my 2 bosses. They offered me a job that would still pay the same (but without my title), and I have to tell you, I think it's time to go. Some of you have seen my thread on my job woes before.

I feel betrayed and demoralized to be nice about it.

My situation at the moment is: I just bought a new Mac a few months ago that I need to pay off, I have a sick and dying cat, and not a ton of cash in the bank right now. If I take this position, I will no longer be salaried but hourly. That means I can get overtime which is the only good thing about it. I told them I would give them a decision Monday. So I'm stuck between my dignity and my financial situation. If I stay, I'll work as much overtime as possible and pay off the Mac while I look for a new job. If I leave Monday, things will be scary and fairly uncertain.

Guys, I loved my job for many years. I know that it's time to go, but I need advice on how to proceed. BTW- I should also point out that I have always had spotless reviews and have busted my butt for this company. I've won them accounts, worked overnight, etc.

Please give me some words. Thanks.

sorry to hear about your situation

as a former hr person in the 90s, i saw a lot of downsizing, especially among middle to senior level employees, and employees who had college degrees...all in the name of saving money and hiring very young people (some while in high school or junior college) or outsourcing work to india, mexico, and china...and the justification was that "all the other companies were doing it, so we have to stay competitivve" as the mantra was in mba school and the corporate world

what most companies, the military, and the non profit sector don't realize is that their key asset is their employees, especially the ones with experience

many salaried employees get taken advantage of so working hourly, no matter what the job or position is a smart thing to do in these times when both small town mom and pops and fortune 500s want to get by on fewer employees yet keep productivity the same...in that context, salaried employees always lose out

pm me if you want

-63dot
aka jefhatfield, that hr resume guy

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
leekohler said:
Guys- a major breakthrough. This has been an amazing day. I honestly have never felt so loved in my life., etc., etc....
Heartwarming Story of the Day.™ :)

See? Somebody appreciates you. So yeah, stick it out and see what happens. It'd be nice to see the little guy win one over The Man for a change.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Thomas Veil said:
Heartwarming Story of the Day.™ :)

See? Somebody appreciates you. So yeah, stick it out and see what happens. It'd be nice to see the little guy win one over The Man for a change.

Well, I'll know more on Tuesday. I will definitely let you guys know what happens.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I know what it is like to be uncertain about a job. I am a 5th grade teacher and our school district voted to consolidate with another district effective July 1, 2007. They claim there will be about a 40% staff cut. No one knows who will stay and who will get the RIF. My guess is everyone will get RIFed and then they will re-hire the new staff after they determine the staffing requirements. I never thought I would end up getting into a reduction in force situation, but I guess I have.

The only thing I have going for me other then excellent performance reviews is I am the only male teacher in the entire elementary staff of both districts. I am also a combat veteran and there are some veteran's preference programs out there for local/state government jobs. The biggest hit against me is I am not married and don't have any relatives in the district. It seems like the people with family ties have the best luck when it comes to retaining their job. It should not be that way, but that is the way it works in small towns. They figure it is much easier for us just to pick up and move on.

Hopefully once the new Board of Education is seated in January they will do the staffing as soon as possible. It would be nice to get a head start before the college graduates, etc. start looking for employment.

If I were you I would take the new position and start a job search. There is a lot less stress if you still have an income and you can actually take your time finding something better. I may not have that luxury so even though it stinks that you are getting demoted it is better then having them tell you tomorrow, "pack your belongings, your done."

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Abercrombieboy said:
The biggest hit against me is I am not married and don't have any relatives in the district. It seems like the people with family ties have the best luck when it comes to retaining their job.

very true

there was a point during the controversial gov pete wilson/gray davis days when there were messups in k-12 education in califoirnia, as well as in public colleges

first under wilson, the conservative republican, a lot of jobs were axed since california's gop has never seemed to hold education very high...too many jobs were rid of...then under davis, the democrat, many had to be hired and so quickly many didn't have credentials beyond their BA and some got paid only a thousand a month...these were the expendable teachers who were often in their 20s and single without the expense of a mortgage or family...and the schools knew they had these teachers over the barrel on every whim of the superintendant/state

california college teachers were laid off, but would get replaced by two or three adjunct professors and one place (where i attended) paid $30 an hour for 6 hours for a three unit class per week, so you either had to be independently wealthy, or retired and set up with a good pension from a previous career

but many of the college jobs that were not teaching related paid really, really well...go figure

there were no new, young professors for many years

the state of teaching in california is a horrendous mess, and it goes way back before gov arnold, so if you need to get a k-12 teaching job in another state, don't look at california

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
OK guys- tomorrow is the day I find out what they came up with for me. I'm really nervous. I packed up my desk and brought home all the stuff I would need for my portfolio and such- just in case I have to leave. ;) I am really hoping they came through for me with something good. Cross your fingers! :)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Don't settle for anything less than an enormous package....of options :)

Good luck.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I hope everything works out today - it sounds like perhaps things aren't as bad as you had thought in regards to how people thought of you and your work, which is a good thing.

It's sad that people don't take the time to share positive words with their coworkers more regularly so that everyone knows where they stand. In fact, I think I need to go spread some proverbial love.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
That really sucks. :(

I recently lost my job because I criticized my district managers job, which was very poor decision-making on his part. So I sorta know how you feel.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
OK- everyone took off today before telling me about my options. It's been a crazy day, but jeez! Oh well, I guess I'll know tomorrow.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
OK- ready?

I got reinstated! They didn't want to lose me is what they said. I'm surprised because this never happens. I did get a big kick in the pants though. I need to put a portfolio together and get cracking even though they reversed their decision.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
So after all that, you go back to where you were? Hmm, didn't take them long to start taking the urine again did it? I was expecting a move forward for you.

Not sure whether to wish you congratulations or not. It's got to be a load off your mind, but hardly perfect is it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.