Just got MacBook Pro, overheating like crazy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zoomvroom89, Sep 5, 2008.

1. zoomvroom89 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just got back from the apple store with a new macbook pro. I turn it on, and after 5 minutes, its overheating like crazy. smcfanControl says its running at around 52 degrees Celsius. Is this normal? I can barely put it on my lap.

Thanks.

2. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

well it is a notebook not a laptop, thus meaning it is not meant to ever be used on your lap.

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

That's really not that hot. Check what's running. Mine goes into the 60s occasionally, hovers consistently around 48°.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My MBP lives on my lap

What apps are you running?

Gaming will cause it to run hot... so does running Windows virtual
    Watching movies, downloading torrents, etc will too

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

depends on what you're doing. it is kind of high for average use, but if you're doing some video compression or something it may get that hot. how hot is it when idle?

6. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Accourding to apple it is not a laptop it is a "Desktop Replacement".

7. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I believe the term used is a "portable." As for the temp, 52C is absolutely normal for a MBP. When I had mine it almost got up to 100C sitting on the bed, so it's much better to put it on a flat surface where air can circulate.

8. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Yes, 52C is not bad. Yes it is a little on the higher side as compared to other laptops, but it is normal for an MBP. I don't think you need to worry.

9. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Under normal/light load, 50C is an average temperature that I get. Nothing to worry about. Overheating is when the CPU reaches 110C or 100C, but you don't even need to worry about damage from that, since the MBP shuts itself off to prevent damage when it reaches that point.

10. ajhaji macrumors regular

With "light" usage (web browsing, IM, and iTunes) my CPU runs at around 55°C so you have nothing to worry about.

11. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Notebook and laptop are interchangable terms. :rolleyes:
    Never meant to be used on your lap because it's called a "notebook" ? :rolleyes:

12. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Jeebus, you can't be serious. Not a laptop ? Are you from Mars ? :rolleyes:
    "Desktop replacement" is a type of laptop. It's still a laptop computer. :rolleyes:

13. secretpact macrumors 6502

Sigh. I seem to be the only one who measures computer temperatures in F. :rolleyes:

Mine is usually 140F (~60C) and goes up to 150F. It's really hot.

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

52°C is nothing to worry about. For a MBP this is perfectly normal unlike a PC user seems to worry about every single freakin degree, the Mac systems will work flawlessly right up to 100°C, and then some!! I know, cause mine runs constantly in the 80~90°C with a average room temp of 30°C+ (i'm in Japan, summers been warm)... Looking at your location, you've nothing to worry about.

Use it on your lap if you really want to, just don't complain when you get some sores, or you've become infertile could be just a rumour (what if it's true?)... People on those forums have warned you already. Enjoy the desktop replacement

15. robk64 macrumors newbie

robk64

Notebook, not laptop

I use a MacBook Pro, and had a PowerBook G4 before that. They run hot.
    Really hot. If you use Vista via Boot Camp, the MBP may run even hotter.
    I use an iLap from Rain Design and the heat transfer is adequate and the platform is comfortable.

If you're concerned, a small desk fan alongside the computer is probably all you need to keep it cool enough to prevent overtemp failures.

16. Pamani macrumors 6502

Pamani

New one for me

I just got a MBP 15" 2.4 from my new job. super happy with it and i love my new company for giving me a MBP. now what am i going to do with my 13" MacBook

17. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Donate it to the MrWizard computer fund - operated by and profiting... me! :D

18. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Add me to the chorus of "not overheating". 52C is fine. My iMac is at that right now. My wife's MacBook regularly reaches 65C.

Get worried when the temperature gets in the 90C range.

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

lol I love how people say something insane like "It overheats like crazy!!!11!1" when the computer is actually at its notmal idle temp. The term "overheat" means the computer gets so hot it shuts down - then and only then you need to worry about temp. Its an Apple, after all - not some home-built computer where you need to monitor temps every second to make sure it works right.

20. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I'm web surfing right now, running iTunes, Firefox 3.01, and Mail, got the MBP 2.2 SR sitting on my lap running comfortably at 41-43C, smcFanControl idling both fans with a "real light cooling" speed of 2500 rpm. I'm running on battery at the moment, but when I'm charging the battery, the bottom of the MBP gets warmer to the touch, which is to be expected.

21. orangeillini14 macrumors regular

I keep my fans around 4000 RPM and I get around 35-40C with normal use. When I'm doing some video editing or other hardware intensive stuff it will raise to 50's.

22. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Thats what happens when PC users "switch."
    Old habits are hard to break.

23. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Anything below 100c is safe and normal for MBP. The Intel chips are designed to withstand up to 100c anyway.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

52ºC is a normal considering the ambient temperature in many rooms is hotter. Unless you live in the basement or a freezer, that's normal.

25. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Wow, I've never been in a normal room with a temp of 52C/128F. That's HOT!

I generally run at around 53C/129F except when I tax it pretty hard. I've gotten it up to 82C/180F before, but that was pretty busy processing.