Just got MacBook Pro, overheating like crazy

zoomvroom89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
Hi,

I just got back from the apple store with a new macbook pro. I turn it on, and after 5 minutes, its overheating like crazy. smcfanControl says its running at around 52 degrees Celsius. Is this normal? I can barely put it on my lap.

Thanks.

rychencop

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2007
South Carolina
depends on what you're doing. it is kind of high for average use, but if you're doing some video compression or something it may get that hot. how hot is it when idle?

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
I believe the term used is a "portable." As for the temp, 52C is absolutely normal for a MBP. When I had mine it almost got up to 100C sitting on the bed, so it's much better to put it on a flat surface where air can circulate.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Hi,

I just got back from the apple store with a new macbook pro. I turn it on, and after 5 minutes, its overheating like crazy. smcfanControl says its running at around 52 degrees Celsius. Is this normal? I can barely put it on my lap.

Thanks.

Yes, 52C is not bad. Yes it is a little on the higher side as compared to other laptops, but it is normal for an MBP. I don't think you need to worry.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
Under normal/light load, 50C is an average temperature that I get. Nothing to worry about. Overheating is when the CPU reaches 110C or 100C, but you don't even need to worry about damage from that, since the MBP shuts itself off to prevent damage when it reaches that point.

ajhaji

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
With "light" usage (web browsing, IM, and iTunes) my CPU runs at around 55°C so you have nothing to worry about.

secretpact

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
Sigh. I seem to be the only one who measures computer temperatures in F. :rolleyes:

Mine is usually 140F (~60C) and goes up to 150F. It's really hot.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
Hi,

Thanks.

52°C is nothing to worry about. For a MBP this is perfectly normal unlike a PC user seems to worry about every single freakin degree, the Mac systems will work flawlessly right up to 100°C, and then some!! I know, cause mine runs constantly in the 80~90°C with a average room temp of 30°C+ (i'm in Japan, summers been warm)... Looking at your location, you've nothing to worry about.

Use it on your lap if you really want to, just don't complain when you get some sores, or you've become infertile could be just a rumour (what if it's true?)... People on those forums have warned you already. Enjoy the desktop replacement

robk64

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Notebook, not laptop

I use a MacBook Pro, and had a PowerBook G4 before that. They run hot.
Really hot. If you use Vista via Boot Camp, the MBP may run even hotter.
I use an iLap from Rain Design and the heat transfer is adequate and the platform is comfortable.

If you're concerned, a small desk fan alongside the computer is probably all you need to keep it cool enough to prevent overtemp failures.

Pamani

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
California
New one for me

I just got a MBP 15" 2.4 from my new job. super happy with it and i love my new company for giving me a MBP. now what am i going to do with my 13" MacBook

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
Add me to the chorus of "not overheating". 52C is fine. My iMac is at that right now. My wife's MacBook regularly reaches 65C.

Get worried when the temperature gets in the 90C range.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Hi,

Thanks.
lol I love how people say something insane like "It overheats like crazy!!!11!1" when the computer is actually at its notmal idle temp. The term "overheat" means the computer gets so hot it shuts down - then and only then you need to worry about temp. Its an Apple, after all - not some home-built computer where you need to monitor temps every second to make sure it works right.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I'm web surfing right now, running iTunes, Firefox 3.01, and Mail, got the MBP 2.2 SR sitting on my lap running comfortably at 41-43C, smcFanControl idling both fans with a "real light cooling" speed of 2500 rpm. I'm running on battery at the moment, but when I'm charging the battery, the bottom of the MBP gets warmer to the touch, which is to be expected.

orangeillini14

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
I keep my fans around 4000 RPM and I get around 35-40C with normal use. When I'm doing some video editing or other hardware intensive stuff it will raise to 50's.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
lol I love how people say something insane like "It overheats like crazy!!!11!1" when the computer is actually at its notmal idle temp. The term "overheat" means the computer gets so hot it shuts down - then and only then you need to worry about temp. Its an Apple, after all - not some home-built computer where you need to monitor temps every second to make sure it works right.
Thats what happens when PC users "switch."
Old habits are hard to break.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
52ºC is a normal considering the ambient temperature in many rooms is hotter. Unless you live in the basement or a freezer, that's normal.

andrewdale

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Memphis, TN
52ºC is a normal considering the ambient temperature in many rooms is hotter. Unless you live in the basement or a freezer, that's normal.
Wow, I've never been in a normal room with a temp of 52C/128F. That's HOT!

I generally run at around 53C/129F except when I tax it pretty hard. I've gotten it up to 82C/180F before, but that was pretty busy processing.