Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deltaiscain

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
52 is pretty normal. If you are in an air-conditioned room, it will be cooler. Also, having the mbp plugged into a power adapter will make it run 5-10 degrees hotter than when unplugged, or that's just my experience.

thespyglass

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
Liverpool UK
MowingDevil said:
Thats what happens when PC users "switch."
Old habits are hard to break.
I can't wait for the day that 'hot' no longer means 'OMG-turn-me-off-before-I-blow-up'! Maybe I should have a Switching Party to celebrate.

Wow, I've never been in a normal room with a temp of 52C/128F. That's HOT!
It's certainly not average room temperature here in the UK, thank goodness! I'd barely have the energy to lie still and pant.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Mine is anywhere between 50'C and 60'C. When I'm doing CPU intensive stuff, temperature reaches anywhere from 85'C-94'C.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Mine is anywhere between 50'C and 60'C. When I'm doing CPU intensive stuff, temperature reaches anywhere from 85'C-94'C.

Sounds about right! I'd say cause mine does the same!!
14mths on and it's still ticking!
Dunno what all the fuss is about!!

"Noobs huh!" :rolleyes:

econoline06

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
That's really not that hot. Check what's running. Mine goes into the 60s occasionally, hovers consistently around 48°.

Indexing takes a good 10-15 minutes when you first startup your new Mac. It is normal, after the initial index it will begin to cool off as the CPU load goes down

econoline06

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Jeebus, you can't be serious. Not a laptop ? Are you from Mars ? :rolleyes:
"Desktop replacement" is a type of laptop. It's still a laptop computer. :rolleyes:

Laptop is a slang term that is highly inaccurate. The correct term is "portable computer". Apple never designed them to sit in your lap, and neither did any other company.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I wish the MacBook Pro's had grills down the left and right to allow air flow from the side, over the components and out the exhaust at the back.

Really, when the fans are on 6000rpm and all I'm doing is surfing the net (with 10% CPU usage) it is annoying.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I wish the MacBook Pro's had grills down the left and right to allow air flow from the side, over the components and out the exhaust at the back.

Really, when the fans are on 6000rpm and all I'm doing is surfing the net (with 10% CPU usage) it is annoying.

Didn't the PBG4 have those? Why did they get rid of them on the MBP?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Didn't the PBG4 have those? Why did they get rid of them on the MBP?

It did. I want them back if they are funded with the right fans or whatever to properly circulate the air. In fact, I think they are awesome as part of the design. Looks cool, and makes it look powerful, rather than just all pretty.

Apple_PowerBook_17.jpg

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
It did. I want them back if they are funded with the right fans or whatever to properly circulate the air. In fact, I think they are awesome as part of the design. Looks cool, and makes it look powerful, rather than just all pretty.

Apple_PowerBook_17.jpg

But did those PowerBooks run cooler? I never owned one so I'm asking.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
That is a perfectly normal temperature. The reason is may feel hotter than other notebooks is because of the aluminum case. Other laptops typically have plastic cases which don't conduct heat as well aluminm, but they run at similar temps. The aluminum acts as a giant heat sink for your CPU, etc. This is probably better for your computer internals, although it sometimes makes holding the MBP a bit difficult.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
But did those PowerBooks run cooler? I never owned one so I'm asking.

I never owned a PowerBook either. I'm curious to see how much of an impact the grills had. Doesn't seem like the grills provided much air flow though. The optical drive would be obstructing them.

2676907812_03152cb0bb.jpg

Still, a fan on the bottom of the case with some air vents would help.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
And with the scope for themed refreshment - Apple pie, Appletiser, those apple-flavoured cable sweet things - I might just do it!

Apple cider

Apple/cheddar sandwhiches! If you haven't had those you really must try....thick whole weat or brown bread, green apple slices....white cheddar or even apple smoked cheddar....maybe some humous. mmmm

Party on Wayne!

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
Jeebus, you can't be serious. Not a laptop ? Are you from Mars ? :rolleyes:
"Desktop replacement" is a type of laptop. It's still a laptop computer. :rolleyes:

eh eh :)
Always the same story. Years ago the MBP was a laptop also in Apple's definitions. Then people started reclaiming and it became a notebook not to be used on your lap. Too hot.

The MP's external surface is cooler, it's plastic. MBP is aluminum and basically you cannot touch it in hot months without sweating as in a soccer match. Its fans rarely spin up: so it's silent enough.

It's the price you pay in order to proudly say you have an aluminum case and silent fans :)

thistle

leftymo

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2003
Los Angeles & New York
I have a Macbook Pro 15" and while I can't report specific temps, I do know that I'm getting the rainbow wheel of death. This happens a lot. I've already run a virus program as well as the hardware tester. I have 3 GB of ram, and about 60+ GB of storage left.

The wheel essentially freezes the computer from all functions forcing me to restart. This occurs during basic tasks like Itunes, or firefox/mozilla, etc...

I'm convinced its the overheating since most of the time the fan is running when the wheel appears. Any other suggestions? I'd hate to reinstall the OS and lose all of my data.

There's something definitely wrong...

(oh yah, disk utility'd the thing to death)

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Hi,

I just got back from the apple store with a new macbook pro. I turn it on, and after 5 minutes, its overheating like crazy. smcfanControl says its running at around 52 degrees Celsius. Is this normal? I can barely put it on my lap.

Thanks.

For a laptop 52C is nothing. If it gets to 105C then be worried. 105C is the max operating temp for the CPU. Using my MBP, temps are around 120F for light tasks and when usig flash around 150-160F and when using handbreak, around 170-195F it reaches 195F and the fan slowly spins up to 6200 RPM around 180 but it an get as high as 195F for me. The fan does bring it down to 170F though.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
For a laptop 52C is nothing. If it gets to 105C then be worried. 105C is the max operating temp for the CPU. Using my MBP, temps are around 120F for light tasks and when usig flash around 150-160F and when using handbreak, around 170-195F it reaches 195F and the fan slowly spins up to 6200 RPM around 180 but it an get as high as 195F for me. The fan does bring it down to 170F though.

You do realize you just responded to a thread that's over 2 years old? I'm sure the OP has moved on by now. :p

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
I have a Macbook Pro 15" and while I can't report specific temps, I do know that I'm getting the rainbow wheel of death. This happens a lot. I've already run a virus program as well as the hardware tester. I have 3 GB of ram, and about 60+ GB of storage left.

The wheel essentially freezes the computer from all functions forcing me to restart. This occurs during basic tasks like Itunes, or firefox/mozilla, etc...

I'm convinced its the overheating since most of the time the fan is running when the wheel appears. Any other suggestions? I'd hate to reinstall the OS and lose all of my data.

There's something definitely wrong...

(oh yah, disk utility'd the thing to death)

Download iStat Pro (it's free) and then you can see temperatures. You can then report them on here & we'll take a look. Also tell us what kind of MBP you have (model, year, CPU etc)

You can force your Mac to work hard by opening two Terminal windows and entering the following text into each one
yes > /dev/null <enter>
This forces the CPU into an endless loop at 100% load. You need two terminal windows, one for each core of your dual core processor.
Watch iStat Pro temperatures and fan speeds. If/when your Mac beachballs, what are the temperatures?

oh, and you might want to start a new thread, people are unlikely to look at a 2 year old thread......

jamesbond05

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Houston!
Are you running firefox or chrome? My mbp 15 i5 gets very hot when I'm running either of these with multiple tabs open. Just because of this I stick t safari.

fasoola

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2010
my 15" 17 hits 100c everytime im encoding videos with Roxio Toast. The fans kick in and it usually settles in the high 80s low 90s then back to 50ish degrees C once its "idling". Using smc, can get the temps lower by spinning the fans faster, but usually let the notebook manage the fan speed

tsem

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
consider buying a laptop cooling fan

i got my mbp dec 09 and i noticed it started heating up after 2 months into using it.. another 2 months later, i got a usb plug-in cooling fan. now it doesn't heat up at all. you're not suppose to leave your mbp on any surface that block it from radiating out the heat. because mbp's dont have a fan like other laptops like hp or sony or etc, u hav to type on cooler surfaces.. it uses its outer aluminium shell to emit heat. plus, if u let ur laptop continue to heat up without attending to it, it shortens the lifespan of ur laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.