Just got me a 2.4Ghz macbook.. open or not to open?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jjahshik32, May 5, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I guess I should wait until tomarrow morning to open??

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I think you should open it, Apple won't update the MacBook without any major new technology going into it, especially only 3 months after an update. But you never know :rolleyes:

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Guess you didn't read the rumor about tomorrow's update?

5. XP Defector macrumors 6502

Just bought a MacBook - 'Hey I heard somethings new on the way'

Internet tech nerd - 'Woah, wait until something new comes along, it's soon'

Just bought a MacBook - 'Ok no worries'

Internet tech nerd - 'Woah, the new REVs suck, wait till the REV for sure bro'

Just bought a MacBook - 'Ok sure, I'll wait until the next REV'

Internet tech nerd - 'Woah, wait until something new comes along, it's soon'

Ad infinitum.

6. mr.light macrumors 6502

I think I would be inclined to wait. It's only a few hours away. Damned hard to do though.... what with the box just sitting there calling you and all. ;)

7. David G. macrumors 6502a

I would wait. Not using it for one day won't harm anything.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I think this is what you were looking for.

9. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I think it's pretty enlightening to see how many blackbook refurbs are on the apple site tonight. ;)

10. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I just went ahead and opened it lol, wow macbook is very fast and I'm coming from a mac pro 8 core/2.6Ghz mbp!

11. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

No, I read the rumor, just figured with a 3 month old product, things are still prime for sales of the current model, before impending updates slow down sales. Just from the facts, a case redesign would be followed by a fundamental change in tech used in the computer, such as Intel's slated release of better goodies this June. I stick to what I said earlier; OP, open it now and be extremely happy with your nice new MacBook, IMO it's too tempting to have it sitting there taunting you with its newness.

Edit: I see you've opened it, enjoy your new MacBook!

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I thought you bought a MBP?!!!

13. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I returned the 17" hi res mbp without the restocking fee as the guy took it back and heard the buzz noise. Now I got a brand spankin new 2.4Ghz macbook and very happy + $1800 in my pocket! :D

Its exactly what I've been looking for, something so powerful yet small and price is very fair.

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Glad you are enjoying that new MacBook! I also have a MBP but allot of the time, I prefer to use the MacBook because of it's glossy screen. Only difference besides no video card and screen size is the MB screen is not as bright. I like my MacBook and have never regretted purchasing it. :D

Oh and hope you get some sleep tonight, that is after you play with the new toy for several more hours.

15. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks, I think all this time switching/selling from mac pro + mba then to the 15" mbp then to the 17" mbp.. I think deep down I just couldnt justify the $$ for the computing that I was getting..

Having owned everything, lol all the products are very nice and all very fast. But I do have to say that you get the best bang for the buck with a macbook! :D

16. johnsy macrumors 6502

Why the hell you buy things if you have no intention to use them? And afraid to release a gin from a bottle!

17. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

It is neat...

...that you were financially able to test drive the Apple line, but isn't that what the Apples store models are for?:)

18. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Hehe its always different just testing it out on the floor and actually using it for a good 1-2 months! :D

19. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Why do you still list the Mac Pro in your sig?

20. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Congrats on your new addition. Have fun and enjoy!

Just curious, will you be keeping this one?--)))):)

21. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

sHeh thanks! So glad I didnt wait. Yep this is the keeper, the right performance, the right price, right everything! =D

22. kanpachi macrumors regular

I can see it now - Apple warns on Q2 results due to "an abnormally high rate of returns due to a neurotic perfectionist who could not make up his mind".

Anybody wanna bet that he's going to return the MacBook within the next month? Actually, I would give it about 1-2 weeks when rumors about the aluminum MacBook begin intensifying. That some small random problem is going to spring up and prompt him to restart his predictable cycle of 1) being unhappy about his current product and thinking about buying another one, 2) further convincing himself to buy the product by writing post after post while agreeing to opinions that align with his point of view with a high tendency to ignore those that don't, 3) finally purchasing the product and raving about the product to everyone about how great it is and 4) finally getting so sick of it because of some random issue and finding every reason to return it and at the same time gathering up fellow MacRumor members to join him in his tirade against the product in question to further give him reason to return it. Meanwhile, this doesn't even count the time spent in obsessing about the product, selling the product on eBay, driving to/from the Apple store to return the product and talk to the managers, or what not.

How much time and productivity of not only others, but your own as well, have you wasted?

23. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Not much if anytime, I mean everytime I went to the apple store its on the way to home from work. As well as it took nothing but 15-20 minutes at most to get it exchanged in and out. And not to mention stopping by the food court to get chik-fila. :)

Dont worry if anything new comes out (already know in June/Julyish) nothing will impress me enough to spend the extra $$$. I had buyers remorse all this time because of the $$$. All this time I was nitpicking every little detail and I just found out that deep inside the buyers remorse was behind it all. I have found which category of the Mac lineup I belong to and its the macbooks. Next time I might consider to upgrade is if this macbook dies/warranty ends or Nehalem macbooks are out which kills this macbook's performance. But for the price man the macbooks are the best bang for the bucks.

I dont game at all and if any is done its on a ps3/xbox 360 on my 52" sony bravia xbr4 with surround b&w 805s's and htm4 and digital audio towers, with rotel power amp/yamaha receiver.. nothing gets better than that for blu-ray movies/games.

So the only thing I need for the computing power is to d/l and handle massive amounts of data to transfer between my 1tb external drives via fw400 (fw800 was faster but what's 2-3 more minutes difference when you can save $1000?). And its not like I do it constantly 24/7 its just probably 10gb files at a time every 3-4 times a week or so. I dont use any pro apps, only need is microsoft word and occasionally use parallels which also doesnt really need the use of the dedicated gpu all mostly cpu bound which the macbooks are perfect for. And just surf the net with 20-30+ pages which the macbook can handle with ease and ichat, burn a dl disc, mail and thats about it.

Also I found out that I was wasting money for owning the mac pro as I've never went over 10% of its cpu power, maybe even 5-7%! And it was nice to have something so powerful but I've never used it for gaming.. its more like the idea that I COULD if I wanted to was there but whats the point when you dont game at all.

The macbooks are perfect for someone like me who doesnt play games or use pro apps that demand a dedicated gpu. I mean the cpu is exactly the same as the base line macbook pro (pretty much acts/same performance as the 2.4ghz mbp without the gaming for a $1000 less!). This is why I love intel if it were still ppc I bet the ibooks cpu power wouldnt be exactly on par with any of the powerbook lineups for this price.

24. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but as long as he's following store policies and staying within the set guidelines of return set by Apple, what business is it of yours? I've seen plenty of apple personnel just standing around in stores chatting amongst themselves. I sure hope he didn't interfere with shining example of productivity? I'd venture to guess that if you hang out in a forum like this one, you are probably fairly obsessive. Good lord man, how much time have you wasted on the internet? :)

25. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

My thoughts exactly! It really is a great deal and the best bang for the buck and heck if ya do decide to play a game now and then you can always use boot camp which is another reason why I Love the Mac! The best of both worlds!

Enjoy! ;)