Just got my car windows tinted

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
It was only $119 for a professional installation of window tint to my car, so I took the plunge. I got 20% all around, and it looks great and visibility isn't significantly lost. I can see outside fine in the dark.

Who else has tints, and how dark?

Attachments

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
Very niiiice. I don't have any tint on my windows. I like when passing motorists see me driving in the nude. Do the installers get in trouble when they put on illegal tint?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
According to Kentucky Law, installers are required to place a sticker on the inside of the driver's side doorjam to certify that the tinting is legal.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
That looks pretty sweet, and I must say that I'm glad you decide to spend a bit extra to get it professionally done. Nothing says "jackass" like a million bubbles in the back windshield...:rolleyes:

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I had 5% on my last car. Needless to say, black tint on a black car looks amazing.
Black on black is very nice looking. I've seen some silver reflective stuff before that looks nice on black cars too.

That looks pretty sweet, and I must say that I'm glad you decide to spend a bit extra to get it professionally done. Nothing says "jackass" like a million bubbles in the back windshield...:rolleyes:
Hahaha. I love seeing cars with bubbling or peeling stick-on tint jobs. Usually they're like beat-to-junk early 90's accords or civics. :p

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I think theres a point where you go so low that your nightvision out the side is non-existant. I cant stand that.

5%, dizzam.

i think i went with 25% or something, silver to match the paint.

;)

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
On my car I think I have 35% on the sides and 5% on the rear windows. The legal limit in Texas when I got my windows done was 32% for sides and no limit on the back. It looks really good.
Now the state I am in for the summer my car tinting is not exactly legal but like hell am I going to remove it for just 3 months.

It does not mess with night vision, mind you I no longer flip my mirror to night mode.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Just curious - what do you look for when deciding where to get your windows tinted?

If anybody in the PG/Howard County, MD area has suggestions (or if anybody knows where I can look up recommendations), that'd be great.

I should probably explain that this is for just a cheap commuter car - nothing fancy. If you guys have thoughts about what make of tint would be good, or any help at all, I'd appreciate it. I'll be getting the basic 35%, if that would affect your choices.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
I got the legal tint on my 4Runner. 35% on the front two (drivers/passangers), 20% on everything else.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Warranty is the keyword.

Someone who can stand by their work is worth paying for.
Isn't the warranty something that is based on the film? Or am I getting a warranty from the place as well?

Clearly this isn't the best method of evaluating a place, but do you have any thoughts on the work done by these guys? The gallery has a few installs on display. I've looked them up in the BBB, and I can't find them. But, their prices seem normal ($170 for Suntek HP, $240 for Suntek Carbon) and I can't imagine that they've set up shop just to rip me off.

On another note, which tint would you recommend for the basic driver? The only reason I'm considering the Carbon is the metallic interference claim (is that real?), as both films have lifetime warranties.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
UK
I don't know about tinting windows or installing massively expensive sound-systems in your car, but I just got back from the garden centre and I had a garden in the boot of my car.

Now that is Pimping Your Ride!

:cool:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
well for the company that did my tint job they where chosen because they been around for a little while. It offered lifetime warrenty on their work. Even if the film is the one the warranty is on those companies are going to be picky about who installs that tint so it would be installed correctly and last years.

My brother car was tinted before mine at the same place and we like the work so my car was done a few months later. I want to say I paid 170-180 to have mine done and that included the upgrade cost for limo (5%) on the rear window.

For the rear window you want to make sure they do it in one piece and not strips because it not only looks a hell of a lot better but it last longer. It is more difficult to do but any competent tinter will do it that way.

Tinting my windows note only really added to the look of my car but it makes the car a heck of a lot cooler on a summer day. Depending on the state/area you are in tinting your windows will not look like just a teenage "Ricer" thing to do. In most of Texas it common place to see cars at the legal limits just because the summer heat is so nasty but here in NC my car looks a bit out of place because a lot of the car windows are not tinted and none of them are as dark as mine. Now it does not help that my windows are darker than the legal limit here.

Sum it up make sure what ever you get has a life time warranty on it.