Just got my car windows tinted

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Coolnat2004, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

It was only $119 for a professional installation of window tint to my car, so I took the plunge. I got 20% all around, and it looks great and visibility isn't significantly lost. I can see outside fine in the dark.

Who else has tints, and how dark?

Attached Files:

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Looks nice.

Edit: I thought the tint for front side windows had to be 35% or higher in Kentucky?

3. Coolnat2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Well... it does. :D

4. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Very niiiice. I don't have any tint on my windows. I like when passing motorists see me driving in the nude. Do the installers get in trouble when they put on illegal tint?

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

According to Kentucky Law, installers are required to place a sticker on the inside of the driver's side doorjam to certify that the tinting is legal.

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

That looks pretty sweet, and I must say that I'm glad you decide to spend a bit extra to get it professionally done. Nothing says "jackass" like a million bubbles in the back windshield...:rolleyes:

7. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

My windows have 0% transmittance. Really all I did was spray paint them black. It can still see pretty good though.

8. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I had 5% on my last car. Needless to say, black tint on a black car looks amazing.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Black on black is very nice looking. I've seen some silver reflective stuff before that looks nice on black cars too.

Hahaha. I love seeing cars with bubbling or peeling stick-on tint jobs. Usually they're like beat-to-junk early 90's accords or civics. :p

10. alFR macrumors 68020

11. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I think theres a point where you go so low that your nightvision out the side is non-existant. I cant stand that.

5%, dizzam.

i think i went with 25% or something, silver to match the paint.

;)

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

On my car I think I have 35% on the sides and 5% on the rear windows. The legal limit in Texas when I got my windows done was 32% for sides and no limit on the back. It looks really good.
    Now the state I am in for the summer my car tinting is not exactly legal but like hell am I going to remove it for just 3 months.

It does not mess with night vision, mind you I no longer flip my mirror to night mode.

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Just curious - what do you look for when deciding where to get your windows tinted?

If anybody in the PG/Howard County, MD area has suggestions (or if anybody knows where I can look up recommendations), that'd be great.

I should probably explain that this is for just a cheap commuter car - nothing fancy. If you guys have thoughts about what make of tint would be good, or any help at all, I'd appreciate it. I'll be getting the basic 35%, if that would affect your choices.

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Warranty is the keyword.

Someone who can stand by their work is worth paying for.

15. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I got the legal tint on my 4Runner. 35% on the front two (drivers/passangers), 20% on everything else.

16. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Isn't the warranty something that is based on the film? Or am I getting a warranty from the place as well?

Clearly this isn't the best method of evaluating a place, but do you have any thoughts on the work done by these guys? The gallery has a few installs on display. I've looked them up in the BBB, and I can't find them. But, their prices seem normal ($170 for Suntek HP, $240 for Suntek Carbon) and I can't imagine that they've set up shop just to rip me off.

On another note, which tint would you recommend for the basic driver? The only reason I'm considering the Carbon is the metallic interference claim (is that real?), as both films have lifetime warranties.

17. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I don't know about tinting windows or installing massively expensive sound-systems in your car, but I just got back from the garden centre and I had a garden in the boot of my car.

Now that is Pimping Your Ride!

:cool:

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well for the company that did my tint job they where chosen because they been around for a little while. It offered lifetime warrenty on their work. Even if the film is the one the warranty is on those companies are going to be picky about who installs that tint so it would be installed correctly and last years.

My brother car was tinted before mine at the same place and we like the work so my car was done a few months later. I want to say I paid 170-180 to have mine done and that included the upgrade cost for limo (5%) on the rear window.

For the rear window you want to make sure they do it in one piece and not strips because it not only looks a hell of a lot better but it last longer. It is more difficult to do but any competent tinter will do it that way.

Tinting my windows note only really added to the look of my car but it makes the car a heck of a lot cooler on a summer day. Depending on the state/area you are in tinting your windows will not look like just a teenage "Ricer" thing to do. In most of Texas it common place to see cars at the legal limits just because the summer heat is so nasty but here in NC my car looks a bit out of place because a lot of the car windows are not tinted and none of them are as dark as mine. Now it does not help that my windows are darker than the legal limit here.

Sum it up make sure what ever you get has a life time warranty on it.

19. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

20. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

21. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Good luck driving when it's really dark and foggy.

22. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I think what you meant was:

23. TimJim macrumors 6502a

nice. i hope a cop doenst pull you over and ticket you

24. Coolnat2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

It looks like it in the pictures, but I didn't. IMO, tinting your windshield is just dumb.

25. Vuzie macrumors regular

Vuzie

Hrm... anyone here got opinions on 3M vs. Llumar films???