Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
5% is illegal but I never got pulled over for it. I could still see out just fine at night, but it obviously was harder. You get used to it though.

ctango

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
Mountains
Warning

Very niiiice. I don't have any tint on my windows. I like when passing motorists see me driving in the nude. Do the installers get in trouble when they put on illegal tint?

I also had my windows tinted (side and rear) and I actually got pulled over to test the tint on my windows. The cops have a device they put on the front windows (driver or passenger) that reads what tint you have. The first reading was off by a few percentages, so I told him the car was dirty, he cleaned the spot and it came back right at 20% (or whatever). He said have a good day and we said thank you. Not sure what would have happened if they were off, but it is something to be aware of.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Who else has tints, and how dark?
Nice pics, looks good on your car. My s-10 is dark green and the factory tint was weak, so I paid cash;) to get the 5 percent limo dark and double tinted the rear and xt cab. I've gotten two tickets for illegal tint, which helps secure my 2000W sound system, for which I've gotten three tickets.:rolleyes: At leazt the cops don't make me peel it off... I heard that in Georgia the cops take a razor blade and ruin it on the spot to force you to take it off later.:eek: I always tell them I'll gladly pay the fine to keep the Florida sun and criminals out of my car. Can't even see me when I'm sitting in there.:cool::D

edit: oh, yeah. I do have to roll down the windows to see my side mirrors at night.:p

s10reargx8.jpg
s10frontlc5.jpg

Shot at 2006-09-16

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I just have trouble seeing why people are so dead set on going to illegal in how dark they make their windows to the point it is unsafe like the poster above me for example.
I read that in some states they either have or where thinking about making it a moving violation to drive with windows illegally tinted so getting a ticket for it means rate increases for your insurances and points against your DL.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I just have trouble seeing why people are so dead set on going to illegal in how dark they make their windows to the point it is unsafe like the poster above me for example.
I read that in some states they either have or where thinking about making it a moving violation to drive with windows illegally tinted so getting a ticket for it means rate increases for your insurances and points against your DL.
Points are already steep in Fl - as much as if I'd done a hit and run on a pedestrian! They gotta pull you over for something else, tho - like loud music.:p Unsafe? Drivers are unsafe, not tint jobs...:rolleyes:

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
Not sure if this is 100% correct, but should give you a good idea if you are interested.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

I have a Passat Wagon I want to tint the back windows for the kid and the dog.
Maine only allows 50%, but I want to check if it matters for the far back windows and not the passenger compartment.

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Not sure if this is 100% correct, but should give you a good idea if you are interested.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

I have a Passat Wagon I want to tint the back windows for the kid and the dog.
Maine only allows 50%, but I want to check if it matters for the far back windows and not the passenger compartment.

I would assume that since the rear window limit is 50%, the other windows in the back would be the same or lighter.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Maine only allows 50%,
I don't feel sorry for you, because it doesn't get hot until 1: or 2: pm in Maine, and cools back off by 6:. It's 82 degrees and humid at 7:30 in the morning down here. 50% is probably sufficient in Maine. The Florida law is 35% on cars all the way around, but pickup trucks/vans can black out the rear window if they so desire. The fine is $75, no points... but when my truck is parked at the beach from 7: am to 4: pm while I'm surfing, that 5% limo tint makes about 20 degrees of difference in the interior temperature. Even 35% is a joke when the Florida sun is beating into your car all day.:rolleyes:

iamdavor

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
That looks pretty sweet, and I must say that I'm glad you decide to spend a bit extra to get it professionally done. Nothing says "jackass" like a million bubbles in the back windshield...:rolleyes:

This quote has been the joke of the week amongst my friends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.