Just got my first iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AML225, Nov 24, 2010.

1. AML225 macrumors regular

To all those waiting until the second genereation comes out, don't bother. The first gen. is great. I just got it this morning and I love it. It really is magical. Makes my iPhone 4 seem so tiny. Buy now and enjoy ASAP. I plan on keeping this one until gen. 2 comes out and selling this one to recuperate some of the money. You can bet I'll use the hell out of this one until then.

2. HuggyLowDown macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

Congratulations!

I'm hoping I get mine soon.
    I would do the same when the 2nd Gen. comes out. Sell it and then use the money.

3. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I buy Apple gear when I can afford it and run it until it completely dies. There is no sense in buyers remorse because some new verson may come out. You bought what you bought and it still does what it did when you bought it so why worry? I won't sell mine when a new model comes out. My iBook G4 is 7 years old and still working, MacBook Pro is coming up on 5 years. My first iPod (3rd gen 40GB model) still works after a battery replacement and I'll stick with my 40GB original ATV too.

I smply don't understand why people keep blowing money just to have the latest gadget.

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

Because they value having something new, and can justify the money for it.

To the OP: enjoy! :)

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I hope you recoup some of your money rather than make it well.

Seriously, congratulations. I've had my 3G since release day and it gets used daily. And what money differential from your purchase price of the next generation and the sale of this generation can be thought of as lease fees.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

7. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

8. Capt T macrumors 6502a

9. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

Good for you OP :) I have a friend who desperately wants an iPad but won't get one until the 2nd gen, and I keep telling him he won't be disappointed if he buys one now. And like someone above said, just think of it as paying $100-200 to 'lease' and iPad for the next few months until the new one.

10. AML225 thread starter macrumors regular

I just got the 16gb wifi only model. I have an iPhone 4 so couldn't justify the data models and since I only plan on using this one until the next generation comes out I couldn't justify getting the higher capacity models. I'm loving this thing. So cool.

Also- any must have apps?

11. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

haha - thanks for the heads up. i'll make sure i don't buy yours when you sell it! :D

i'm planning on getting mine this saturday! :)

12. Pinger, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

Pinger macrumors regular

Congrats... It really is incredible isn't it!!
    Brought mine down to the inlaws today for thanksgiving and it got passed around like a newborn baby lol... Everyone from the 8 year old to the 90 year old couldn't put it down :). The 90 yr old isn't your typical 90 year older, he still drives, works, is up on today's computers ect... God I hope I'm that sharp at 70 lol...

13. saberahul macrumors 68040

Good for you - it's the best device ever. Although I'm curious to why you did not wait until Black Friday? You would have saved $41 from the Apple store...

14. Vihzel macrumors 6502

Congrats on your new iPad! I'm also just going to sell this one off when the 2nd generation comes along. Those waiting for the 2nd one to come out are really missing out.

15. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Congrats OP!

I've grown so attached to my iPad that I'll have a hard time selling for the next gen. Jobs is gonna have to really bring it to pry this puppy away. :cool:

You'll see what I'm talking about soon.

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Congrats! I can't stop using mine! Especially with the games I just got.

17. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Apple will add camera and more ram on next version. It doesn't justify me to get it for another version so soon. As long as apple will allow software updates on my ipad, I am keeping mine.

I am thinking that this iPad will be supported all the way up to end of iOS 5.0 software update. I am not expecting iOS 6.0 until 2012 Summer at latest. In other words, I won't get one until like 2013. iPad is not a device that I will update every single year.

I doubt apple will bring retina display to iPad anytime so soon, so I am going to wait and see what happens to updates.

18. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

Congrats i want one so bad!!! haha but i really do not need one and i just bought a new MBP so i am waiting until the next generation when they are so amazing that i cannot say no..... =D haha i find them magical in there commercials and every experience i have had with them >_< i am excited to own one at some point =D

ooo and the current ipad does have the retina display, same ppi as the iphone 4 and apple 27" LED display =D

19. dj2mc macrumors member

dj2mc

Congrats OP. I absolutely love my iPad, couldn't be happier.
    Enjoy it, hope all the best.

20. sotorious macrumors 6502a

Damnit im waiting till gen 2 as well, but if its just going to be minor upgrades, i hate not knowing. And ive went this long. I am just being eaten inside.

21. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

Don't fight it, let it consume you :p It's really not worth that wait, the iPad as it is now is an exceptionally brilliant product that you'll enjoy every minute from now until the 2nd gen comes out. If then you feel you need to upgrade, you can sell the old one and buy a new one, and you only pay a hundred or so dollars to fully utilize an iPad in the months to come :)

22. AML225 thread starter macrumors regular

My nearest Apple store is 1.5 hours away, I didn't wanna deal with the crowds or wait for shipping. I'm not upset over $41, I don't feel like I got ripped off.

I don't believe that. Maybe similar resolutions but not similar pixel densities. As great as the iPad screen is my iPhone 4 screen still looks much, much sharper.

EDIT- I just read the iPad pixel density is 132ppi if that's true then thats significantly less than half the iPhone 4's density, which makes sense considering how much larger the screen is. Not knocking the iPad at all, just stating facts. This screen sure is gorgeous.

23. opera57 macrumors 6502

Nice one congrats!
    Yeah quite true its got much less pixel density, but at the end of the day its much more comfortable to use than the smaller display of the iPhone, a trade off I definitely think is worth while! [​IMG]

24. iFisherman macrumors member

I feel this way also. I really would like to get an iPad "for the family" for Christmas, but something inside keeps telling me to just wait for the updated model that will almost certainly be coming within the next few months. My brother-in-law brought his to the Thanksgiving gathering yesterday and playing around with it certainly didn't make the decision any easier. :(

I really need to make up my mind by the end of the day so I can at least get the black friday discount if I do go ahead and buy now...Beats not saving any money.