Just got my first Mac-retina!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Free Ale, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Free Ale macrumors member

Free Ale

Hey guys,
    I am on my way home right now! I just purchased my first Mac computer. It is the base retina, with a magic mouse.

I haven't used a Mac before, for extended amounts of time, but I bought the iPhone. So I thought I would try apples computer!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some beginner tips and tricks? Along with notable apps that are must have! I also have a $100 app store gift card, so not just free apps!

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to get home to play with it!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

congrats, but please do yourself a favor and return that magic mouse....absolute garbage!!

4. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

Congrats! The iPhone was the gateway drug :)

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Probably going to be the best thing you've unboxed in your life ;) just go wild and enjoy it. Meanwhile I need to work like a bitch over this summer to buy one!!

6. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Haha so true. Husband said the same thing to me. ;)

Congrats!! :) I always go to the App store and start with top ten apps and go from there. But that's me. Enjoy it. It's a blast!

7. Free Ale thread starter macrumors member

Free Ale

Explain?

8. Greg M macrumors 6502

For one the trackpad is far more useful then the mouse. After getting use to the trackpad I hate using the mouse on my hackintosh.

9. Free Ale thread starter macrumors member

Free Ale

I've been pc so a mouse was required, and I think I might still prefer it!maybe your right though. I'll have to wait and see

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Which of course is only one persons opinion. I for one think the magic mouse is an excellent mouse to use for everyday tasks. For gaming I have a Logitech g700...but when I'm in Mac OSX, I primarily use my Magic Mouse. Some people just have to be negative about everything on here.

11. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

You may find the trackpad is nicer, i used to be a mouse person coming from a Windows PC, but now i even use the Magic TrackPad for all tasks except gaming.

You should have at least 14 days to return it anyway so try it out! :)

12. mohsy90, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Don't get me wrong, it's the best mouse that Apple has ever made and a remarkable piece of engineering.

But,

-uncomfortable, such a low profile that for someone with big hands, it's impossible to use and you just end up clicking and doing gestures that just wastes time. It's like a giant touch panel and it's great for scrolling but it's a pain in the neck because each time you touch it accidentally it goes flying to the top of the page or doing something else - and FORGET about gaming with it
    -2 finger swipe is useless and never worked for me, false advertisement if you ask me, works like 25% of the time
    -no 3rd mouse click function, so you lose out on functionality for applications like final cut
    -BATTERY, omfg i had to change batteries for this thing monthly
    -bluetooth connectivity was awful, always was turning it on and off and going into bluetooth preferences and searching for the mouse

Some may like it, but i hated it and decided to spare myself the misery and sold it (correction, i said i had returned it, did return the first one after it didn't work). Instead I got a Logitech anywhere mx mouse. Yes, it does take up a USB port (tiny wireless receiver) but it's the best mouse I've ever used and highly recommend it!!!

13. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Agree with you 100%. The trackpad works much better.

14. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

+1

15. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I have the Magic Trackpad also, I like the Magic Mouse a LOT better. I use the trackpad for my Mac Mini plugged into the TV in the living room.

16. MercilessGunner macrumors newbie

I completely agree. For one the track pad on Mac laptops is pretty nice. If you are use to using a mouse I would definitely buy a different mouse from a company who is known for great products in that category like Logitech.

This is a great laptop mouse from Logitech. I actually use this everyday at work.
    http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/wireless-mouse-m525

17. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

OP, congrats on your new Mac!

And don't worry about the mouse. I use both mouse and trackpad, and love both.

18. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

LOL, I was going to post that but you beat me to it.

Seriously, OP, the trackpad is amazing! And if you find you still need a mouse, buy ANY OTHER MOUSE but not the magic.

19. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Just get a cheap 2 button mouse for things like playing games. Honestly I'm a first time mac user and the touchpad is more than enough. I agree also return the magic mouse. Not because its garbage or whatever but because you don't need it.

Once you get use to the touchpad and the mac itself you will never want to touch a windows based laptop ever again.

edit:
    Oh and of course congrats on your purchase! :) You're going to love it! As for the cheap mouse mac sure it's compatible with os x 10.x or later

20. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

That's a little over the top. I have both and i prefer the magic mouse over the trackpad. The magic mouse ( and I own 3 of them) have given me zero problems.

21. swinler macrumors newbie

Congrats

Congrats on your rMBP - you'll love it. I'm in a similar situation to you - just bought my first Mac, also rMBP, with Magic Mouse. I love both of them!

For sure it's not a gaming mouse, but for general OS X usage i find it pretty cool.

As for the rMBP itself, it's an awesome machine, I'm sure you're going to love it.

22. pragmatous macrumors 65816

to each, there own. I find I don't need a mouse at all. Unless I'm playing diablo 3 then I need a mouse but I just use a cheaper 2 button mouse.

23. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

congratulation on your purchase. I wish that you will love it forever. I want to buy it as well. but it's too much expensive. plus, I mainly use mine in windows environment due to my job. retina macbook pro is little too much for toy.

24. luqtotheman macrumors regular

Hey !

I just got my Macbook I know how you feel, it's super exciting haha like a child all over again:

Some applications I like:
    Google Chrome (canary to maximize retina)
    MS Office, but it's fuzzy until they update for retina
    Reeder (for new and feeds)
    Spotify for music
    iWork's especially keynote is better than Powerpoint in my opinion
    Evernote is cool
    I play some games too and I'm thinking about Aperture but not sure yet.

enjoy!

25. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

yeah I hate the Magic mouse too! It's really bad. I have it and I don't use it. It's slow and it is really garbage. Apple should release a better mouse!! And yes he should return that Mouse.