Just got my first Mac!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EarthNeutron, Sep 7, 2011.

1. EarthNeutron macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hell yeah!! I'm happy as f***! just got my first Mac!! It's a 2011 MacBook pro 13'' base model with lion preinstalled, English keyboard.
    Got it from Romania (cause that's where I live) for 1700$ with a student discount.
    Any suggestions on what apps/stuff to get? I also own 2 iPhones, an ipad and an iPod nano 3g

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Congrats my friend! Enjoy it!!!

Apps:
    Uberstrike
    mSecure
    RipIt
    Handbrake
    DVDRemaster
    movist

3. Amerabian macrumors regular

Congrats on your new MBP! ;)

I'm surprised to see that it sells for $1700 in Romania!

Couldn't you just order it from the US or a nearby country where it sells for Apple's MSRP price? (~$1200)? The shipping costs still wouldn't cost $500 extra! :confused:

Make sure you post in this thread

My personal issential "apps" would be:
    - Adobe Suite
    - MS Office
    - Call of Duty

4. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nope.unfortunately, apple store us just sells macs in th us. Same with UK and so on.
    Btw can I get those apps (especially office 2011) for free off torrents? Just wondering...
    Q2 any good games I could get for free(wow,Starcraft 2?)

5. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Congrats on your purchase.

Some Useful Apps:

the Unarchiver
    Perian (codec pack for QuickTime)
    VLC
    Caffeine (keeps your display awake)
    gfxCardStatus (allows you to manually swich graphics chips, helps save battery life)
    Sparrow (mail client)
    Twitter for Mac
    Virtual DJ (excellent music mixing and DJing software)
    MS Office (Excel, Powerpoint, Word) or iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote)
    iStat Pro widget (shows your CPU/RAM usage, disk space, battery condition, network activity, etc..)
    Pixelmator (excellent and beautifully made image editor; unless you're a Photoshop power user, it is all you'll ever need)
    Parallels Desktop (allows you to run other OSes as virtual machines; if you have Windows apps for which you are unable to find decent Mac alternatives, you may wanna take a look at this program)

There are many more but as I am currently away from my Mac (I'm at work - on a PC running XP) and can't think of any others.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

The fastest way for you to go about getting the application and program suggestions you want is to search the forums for threads that are already started that contain the information you want.

There are a plethora of them around here.

But as for the Torrent suggestion, I would say not to do it. Generally, if you look around you can "find" anything online, but it isn't' the safest route. If the applications come pre-cracked, the uploader (or whoever cracked it) could have did some other stuff behind the scenes that might not end well for you.

But yea, Torrents are pretty much a black area nobody talks about.

7. Vook macrumors member

Vook

8. WickedPuddin macrumors member

Highly recommend app zapper or app cleaner! It will properly delete all files of an application you want to get rid of. App zapper is paid but app cleaner works just fine

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

congratulations. a search of the forums will reveal popular apps. if you tell us more about what you want to do with the computer (work, games, internet something, etc.) i am sure we can provide you with more helpful suggestions.

10. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

You will love it! I'd stay away from torrents, though. How would you like someone getting something for free that you had worked hard on producing?

As for apps, if you go to the Mac app store many are free. My favorites are:

Twitter
    Coconut Battery
    iStat Pro

Do a search on the forum for apps, there are MANY threads out there, that's how I found out about most of the apps that I have downloaded, Caffeine being the most recent and best, by far!

11. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Helpful Information for Any Mac User
    In most cases, app removal software such as AppCleaner and AppZapper doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. Many times they delete small files such as .plists, but leave much larger files behind. For more information, read this.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

13. suedehead macrumors member

well, although rumania doesn't have the euro, $1700 is only €1200. the low end MBP is registered on the apple site at about €1150-€1200, depending on the european country you live in. apple changes the currency not the actual number so a $1200 MBP in the states = a €1200 MBP in europe. so it's quite a normal european price. anyways, carry on.
    :)

14. df2gadgetman macrumors member

df2gadgetman

Welcome to Apple computers! It will take a little bit of time to get used to the new short cut commands.

I like SHIFT-CONTROL-EJECT to put my monitor to sleep.
    Also, CONTROL-OPTION-COMMAND-EJECT to shut down the computer.

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

congras for your first MBP...I dont recommend torrent..it is illegal we will not help you if you ask for help downloading fromn torrent. and also torrent is filled with many virus or calling home virus that will hurt your new MBP...is that what you want? I only download freeware or shareware because it is cheap...App I like is
    twitterdeck
    imovie free from apple download
    trillian pro

good luck

16. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Swackette X

Try Swackett. Nice weather app which runs off "accuweather".

Its every accurate and I have it running on a separate desktop full screen so its always there.

Try the web app first.... http://www.swackett.com/app/web.php but you can download the app in the app store.

Also Fantastical is a good calender app of sorts.

17. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I tell 'Alfred' to put my computer to sleep and shut down. :p

18. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Thats really not true, there are multiple(one or two much more so than the rest) "reputable" torrent websites; THAT SAID, the only reason someone downloads pirated software or media is: they're a cheap d-bag. That's it, you can try and rationalize it to yourself or others however you want, but that's the real reason: the "pirate" is a cheap d-bag who has no problem stealing from and hurting other members of society, just to save a couple bucks. Harsh, yes; but absolutely true.

19. Young Spade macrumors 68020

No? I fail to see how you rationalize your opinion as fact.

You do understand that you're biased right? And that you are stating just that, your opinion, and not something that everybody feels the same way about correct?

Just making sure, because it seems like you're aggregating everybody who has ever illegally downloaded something as that, when it simply is not the case. That's throwing away the entire understanding that it's completely subjective as well, mind you.

20. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Thanks a lot guys for your app suggestions. I really appreciate it.
    I've been using my Mac for a day and a half now and I have to say: it the best thing that has ever happened to me since i got my first iPhone.
    PC/windows user can all s*** my...
    Never going back after being a PC user for 11 years.

21. VABuckeye macrumors newbie

Don't become "that" Mac owner. Just enjoy what you have. There's a use for every type of PC.

22. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Please don't be that guy. It's just a computer; it's a great one, but it's just a computer. I love it as much as the next guy, but I don't go toting it around like it's the second coming of Jesus.

To be honest, you haven't even found out how to get the best out of it yet, and you're already freaking out. Wait until you really "know" what you're doing to celebrate.

23. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

those apps are all good; thanks for finding that link. i was gonna post it.

please don't be that guy. it's a great computer, but it doesn't mean you need to lord it over people. some people have legitimate needs for windows (me included in about a year here) and windows 7 is a good OS.

24. muratb macrumors newbie

congras for your first MBP.. Now you can never ever go back to PC again...:D