Just got my Kindle 2

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alphaod, Feb 24, 2009.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just got my Kindle in the mail. Arrive 2 hours ago.

I uploaded a unboxing video, but due to a shhhh phone camera and crappy 3G network, it looks like crap. Oh well, I tried.

http://qik.com/video/1109122

First impressions:
    1) It's thin and light.
    2) It's now harder to accidentally press the page buttons since they are hinged on the outside (when you click the inside part of the button depresses).
    3) Cover to Kindle attachment is quite nice; there is no chance of accidentally falling off. However it is now a plastic hook, which is probably break for some reason the the future. The cover is not worth $30.
    4) So much more responsive.
    5) Keys are tactile response is pretty nice, though they are spaced a bit too far apart; also square-like buttons and/or domed may have been a better choice.
    6) Directional stick doesn't have much movement space; feels weird for now.

If y'all have any questions, fire away!

2. mpshay macrumors 6502

I ordered one for my wife and it's scheduled for delivery on the 26th. She is looking at getting one of the covers from M-Edge.

3. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

I'd be interested in seeing some real-life pictures and hearing your impression after a couple solid days of use.

Do you think that the Kindle 2 is worth an extra $160 over the Kindle 1?

Finally, have you tried using Stanza at all? To convert pdf or other ebook files into the Kindle format?

Thanks. I am super jealous that you have one!:cool:

4. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

I also received my kindle today, and I agree with you, the button placement is better, response much improved. I am very happy with it. It reminds me of my ipod quite a bit with its new design.

5. isethx macrumors regular

6. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Will do.

I'm a sucker for new things, so asking me that may be a bad idea. I'd say yes it's worth it; the response is a lot faster and the reader is easier to use in all.

However the question is do you have the original Kindle or are you looking for buy one for the first time.

If you're buying it for the first time, I would say definitely get one, if you already have a Kindle 1, not so much. I mean the upgrade is butt kicking, but paying another $400 (after you get the cover), may be stretch for a lot of people.

I mean I've started reading daily since I bought the Kindle 1, so upgrading to the latest was a no-brainer for me.

This is definitely an investment, but it's a good one if you utilize it; don't forget you get smarter reading books, oppose to other things.

Nope; I used to buy real books off Amazon, and now it's just easier with eBooks. I don't use the text-to-speech, nor any of the experimental features for that matter. It's not to say the web browser didn't come in handy once in a while, but otherwise, I bought it because I wanted a eBook reader.

7. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I received mine today. Unfortunately, the wireless doesn't work. The CSR said I definitely have coverage in my area according to the maps and had me go through a few steps. They overnighted me a replacement to make certain that it isn't the device. Other than that I'm definitely going to love the device!

Update:

Received the replacement Kindle 2 today. Thankfully, the wireless worked perfectly out of box!

8. cis4life macrumors regular

i too recieved mine yesterday. So far it a lovely device. I didn't get the first kindle due to it was sold out, but jumped on the k2 once i saw it was available. It is a great device, one I see myself using daily.

9. LinMac macrumors 65816

I saw the one my friend had and it was interesting.

I just have a few thoughts:

1) Coming from the iPhone you just want to use that big display as a touch screen. We were constantly reaching for it to use it as a touch screen.

The buttons just feel restricting or confusing. :D

2) The refresh rate of the screen using the experimental browser will irritate you a bit. Sure I could have used my iPhone, but I have a Kindle in my hand so I want to use that.

3) The screen not going blank when you turn it off is just new. It is just a bit weird.

4) Sending your documents via email should be free. The $0.10 charge just rubs me the wrong way. I'm not opposed to paying for the privilege, but this is the same as a restaurant charging me $0.25 for a refill. I don't have a problem with it in principal, but it is annoying to find the quarter or run a new charge on my credit card for it.

This is only if you want it wirelessly delivered to you. You can get their conversion for free via free.kindle.com, but still.. $0.10 for the wireless delivery. I would prefer a flat rate per year as an alternative I suppose or something similar to that.

5) Content is way way WAY too expensive in some cases.

I can read www.nytimes.com for free on my computer at home or at work. Why would I pay $13.99 per month to read the same news on my Kindle?

Keep in mind that the Kindle is $359 plus the subscription fee for a paper. That can be pricey if you aren't careful.

It is lucky (for me) that I like to focus on books in the public domain, but the arguments about not having the physical treeware products while paying the majority of the price does seem to hit home quite nicely with the Kindle.

Is this a deal breaker? Probably not. We pay a lot of money for iPhones and others thing we're crazy for doing it. The product has a market.

End note: My Kindle 2 will be here today. I can't wait to have my own to play with.

10. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

I’m not sure where you found a Kindle 1 that was less expensive; both 1 and 2 were priced at $359.00...unless you were referring to a used one, maybe...?

I tried Stanza, and really, really wanted to like it. I didn’t. After about ten days of trying to convince myself it was great, I surrendered and trashed the program. Besides, Amazon will convert docs for free, so no need to keep a deadbeat program on my laptop.

Actually, it does go blank-—when sliding the power button to the right, you need to hold it there for about four seconds. That, admittedly, is weird. When you simply slide it then let go, the unit goes into sleep mode, which does place an image on the screen as a reminder you haven’t fully powered down.

Funny thing is that the images are reminiscent of the old Barnes and Noble bags featuring line drawings of authors.

Yeah, wireless for free would be great, but since docs need to be converted for use on a Kindle, the .10 isn’t really that big a deal IMHO.

Using the free.kindle.com option works like a charm; I used it to convert and tranfer several sizable documents, including a couple of e-books that were originally in PDF form. Went perfectly.

I’ve used my Kindle 2 for three days running now, and am happy with it. Only things I’d change would be:

(a) the addition of a backlight-—can’t figure out why it’s not there to begin with, since that seems like a no-brainer
    (b) wish there was a way to adjust the contrast-—the zillion shades of gray apply only to images, not to text and background
    (c) inclusion of a cover-—why they removed it for Kindle 2 is beyond me

11. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

As far as I'm aware, Amazon deliberately haven't put a backlight on the Kindle as it's meant to be read like a book. Hence why the screen looks like paper. Putting a backlight would negate the need to have that type of screen as it would make the eyes sore in the same way a conventional backlit screen does. I don't have a Kindle, but have used one several times, and I thought the screen type used was excellent.

12. LinMac macrumors 65816

A) e-ink doesn't work that way and can't support the backlight. It would also kill the Kindle's extremely good battery life.

B) e-ink can't do this to my knowledge

C) Amen to this!

13. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

I found the Kindle 1 used for $200.

What specifically did you not like about Stanza? It seems fairly nice to me...

14. Jhalkias macrumors newbie

I got mine a couple of days ago, and this is my first Kindle. I bought one each for my wife and I after sitting beside someone on a plane who was evangelizing about her K1 to me.

Here are my impressions:

1. I told a friend that this is my iPod for books. I absolutely LOVE it. I would swear that the packaging was made up by the same folks that did the original iPod boxes. Very similar.

2. Reading on it is great and easy on the eyes. For those asking about why no backlight, this article by David Pogue gives you a good idea, a review of the Sony e-reader with backlight:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/technology/personaltech/26pogue-email.html

3. I was listening to MacBreak Weekly, and Andy Ihnatko made a good observation - "like a giant iPhone for Andre the Giant". Not having had a K1, all I can say is this one is easy to use, and intuitive for reading books. Can't say I care for the keyboard though - I have big fingers. The web surfing and internet features kind of make you feel like you are on dialup instead of broadband. I've never been a fan of "mobile" alternate pages for web access, so the internet is kind of ugly - not like the "almost real without flash" internet on the iPhone. I guess it is useful in a pinch, but would not be my device of choice.

4. The wireless access to the Amazon store is just genius. Just think if your iPod touch came with this kind of access! (gee, who would buy an iphone then?). My only hope is that the access stays free, which it is now, but could change per the ULA. Another nice feature is being able to buy something online at the Amazon store, and knowing it will be on my Kindle very shortly. The drop down on the store even allows you to say which Kindle you want it sent to if you have more than one. Now if I could just get my recommendations from Amazon to reflect my tastes instead of all the Mysteries my wife has already bought!

5. The cover is OK, but I will be shopping for a new one soon. The kind of dumb thing about it is that it does not have even one pocket on the inside. I know it is supposed to be like a book, but I stick things in books I am reading too. A pocket for business cards and one for slightly bigger things would be way useful.

6. Being able to have one library of books shared between up to 6 Kindles is also a good move. This takes care of my 22 year old med school son's griping that now he won't be able to share books with me - that is when I get him his own. My 9 year old wants one now too!

7. The "text to speech" is OK in a pinch too, and will probably be a great help to those with sight disabilities, but it is still a computer voice - not a bad one. While better than Hal, anyone who also loves Audiobooks like I do will not even be tempted to use this as a substitute. I grew up with "Radio Mystery Theater" and love a well-performed or read audio book. This feature is like listening to the science teacher from the "Wonder Years" read.

Of course it is a new gadget, and I am a gadget lover. I will say that my normal routine when I get home is to grab my MacBook and surf, catch up with friends, etc. This is the first time I have picked up my MacBook since I got the Kindle. The other nice thing is that it is very easy to carry with me anywhere. While my MacBook is not huge, I don't carry it with me to the office and use it on my break, or think about having it with me constantly when I go out. I am carrying the kindle with me everywhere, and using it whenever I get a spare moment - just like my iPod, but I don't need to worry about plugging my ears in.

I expect that I will now read MORE just because it is so easy to get new books, have them handy, and not take up more space. My bookcase is full, we have literal containers of books in the basement, so I feel better about that now too.

Any questions, feel free to fire away, but I am as happy I bought this as my first iPod (also a 2g device). Apple gave this up too soon to Amazon, and if Steve Jobs really thought "people just don't read anymore" I think he was either sadly mistaken, or playing the fox and the grapes.

15. Jhalkias macrumors newbie

Just posting again to subscribe to the thread after amending my user cp.

16. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

the "now boasts 16 shades of gray for clear text and even crisper images" put me off buying one. Any digital device costing nearly $400 with a screen that isn't colour is a bit of a rip off in my eyes. May as well buy a netbook and hackintosh it while your at it. Dell mini 9 springs to mind.

17. coupdetat macrumors 6502

I think you're a bit confused. E-ink isn't for SUPERCOLORFULMULTIMEDIAEXTREME!!!!11one!!

It's for books.

18. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

and a netbook can read books, surf the web, watch photos, watch movies, and everything else OS X and Windows can do. For the same price and similar size? Come on, the Kindle's just a consumerist gimmick really.

19. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

You obviously don't understand the E-INK Technology, It's designed to look like paper and get rid of eye strain like regular screens give you after extended use.

20. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Now... i didnt know about this.... hmmm Amazon didn't advertise it with the Kindle? Thats the only reason i'd buy one, and i'd still think more than twice.

21. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

You have to be a big reader and a traveller to really appreciate one these devices I think. Otherwise they are still nice just not as justifiable.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The last thing I want an e-Reader to be is (1) back-lit, and (2) touchscreen.

You really don't know what e-Ink is, do you. :confused:

The only reason I don't have a Kindle 2 is because I can't get it. Well that, and it's the wrong size for some of the things I want to read.

23. LinMac macrumors 65816

I want a Kindle e-ink display just like it is now with an eye friendly optional backlight and touch screen. :D Just because I want it doesn't mean it will happen, but still.. I can want it.

The big must have for me at this point is multiple user accounts per Kindle. The device is too expensive to buy one for every person in a household (at least for me), but it would be nice if we could all share.

24. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

should cost $129.

I blogged about this device, mostly wondering who would use it...

The Kindle reminds me of an electronic Etch-a-Sketch, or a less-functional Apple Newton.

Yes, I have read and seen video of e-ink in action.

Seems to be some mega-ninga-viral-marketing all over concerning this device. I sort of do not understand all the hype .

Actually, it should cost $89.

25. LinMac macrumors 65816

Agreed completely!

e-ink is more useful than you think though. It really does look just like print on a book and that is important for reading for any length of time without your eyes feeling like they're about to go on strike.

The Kindle has a lot of potential, but I'm the first to admit that the device is limited in a number of ways. It needs MMS, copy and paste, and background application support.