Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Sacred said:
2) How do I connect to the internet using a different modem? (as in how will the modem know where to connect to, its not like dial up as in I dont have a number :confused: )

Tesco should be able to give you your username/password etc. (probably it's on the stuff they sent you when you got the account) - the Quick Setup Guide that comes with the modem walks you through the setup for a standard BT phone line with ADSL.

Sacred said:
3) What would I need to have my PC connect to the wireless internet connection (and for the love of god I hope its cheap)

No need to go wireless with the PC (unless you want to), use an ethernet cable - the modem I linked to has 4 wired ethernet ports on it as well as the wireless connection. Cost £1.39 for a 1m lead from Solwise. I'm assuming your PC has an ethernet port - most fairly new ones do!

If you don't want to go wireless with the laptop either, you can get a wired ethernet-only modem for £30-ish as stated above. Wireless is great with the laptop though as you can use it throughout the house. Don't forget to secure your wireless network though:

http://www.jiwire.com/wi-fi-security-introduction-overview.htm

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Have you tried calling support from the company that sent you the USB broadband modem?

Sacred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
alFR said:
Tesco should be able to give you your username/password etc. (probably it's on the stuff they sent you when you got the account) - the Quick Setup Guide that comes with the modem walks you through the setup for a standard BT phone line with ADSL.

If you don't want to go wireless with the laptop either, you can get a wired ethernet-only modem for £30-ish as stated above. Wireless is great with the laptop though as you can use it throughout the house. Don't forget to secure your wireless network though:

http://www.jiwire.com/wi-fi-security-introduction-overview.htm

I know my username and passwords thats not a problem.
I would like to go wireless with my MBP but not got a clue :confused:
As for security :confused:

gekko513 said:
Have you tried calling support from the company that sent you the USB broadband modem?

Yes I get put on hold for ages then end up talking to some foreigner who said that they only provide USB modems. If theirs a problem with my modem I can have a new one sent out at my expense.

I'm begining to think I should have just bought a windows PC like I have for the last 10 years so much easier to use.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Sacred said:
Yes I get put on hold for ages then end up talking to some foreigner who said that they only provide USB modems. If theirs a problem with my modem I can have a new one sent out at my expense.
Did you ask them if they had a solution for making your current one work with your Mac?

Sacred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
gekko513 said:
Did you ask them if they had a solution for making your current one work with your Mac?

Try and download the latest modem drivers, slight problem...how do I download the latest drivers if I can't get the laptop onto the internet?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Sacred said:
Try and download the latest modem drivers, slight problem...how do I download the latest drivers if I can't get the laptop onto the internet?
Do you have a mobile phone with bluetooth? Or, surely, there must be some computer in your area that's connected to the Internet?

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Well, clearly you've got your PC on the net, why not download the drivers to your PC then transfer the files to your mac? There's a guide on this site that'll tell you how to network the computers, but you'll need either wireless on both or an ethernet cable.

Also, don't blame the mac for causing this problem, as the other posters' comments should have made clear, USB modems are terrible, independently of whether you're using a mac or PC.

Sacred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
gekko513 said:
Do you have a mobile phone with bluetooth? Or, surely, there must be some computer in your area that's connected to the Internet?

Yes I have a mobile phone with bluetooth, and the computer I'm using now has the internet. :confused:

telecomm said:
Well, clearly you've got your PC on the net, why not download the drivers to your PC then transfer the files to your mac? There's a guide on this site that'll tell you how to network the computers, but you'll need either wireless on both or an ethernet cable.

Also, don't blame the mac for causing this problem, as the other posters' comments should have made clear, USB modems are terrible, independently of whether you're using a mac or PC.

My PC doesnt have wireless or a network card :confused:

Why not? Its adverts say it just works, when it clearly doesnt just work. My brother keeps laughing at me and keeps saying I should have bought this instead:

http://www.alienware.co.uk/product_...ysCode=PC-EU-LT-AUR-M-ALX&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Then find a USB flash drive, an iPod or MP3 player with file storage or burn a CD to transfer the latest drivers.

Or connect your Mac to the Internet using your mobile phone. You'll need to call your provider to get some magic numbers for your Mac - Bluetooth - Mobile - Internet connection if you go this route.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Sacred said:
My PC doesnt have wireless or a network card :confused:

Why not? Its adverts say it just works, when it clearly doesnt just work.

Let's just say that it 'just works' for 99% of the people out there, and you happen to be in an unlucky 1% of people that have crappy internet service.

A network card for a desktop PC will cost almost nothing these days, so don't worry about that. My advice is to buy the modem/router combo that was suggested on the prior page. You'll be much happier, and your internet access ought to be faster as well. Sharing the connection between various computers almost requires a router like this to make things as headache-free as possible. When you've got the router delivered, if you can't figure out how to get it work (although it's painfully easy), just pop back here and we'll help you out.

21stcenturykid

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2006
Newcastle UK
Hi i had this same problem with the same USB thingy... basicly that speedtouch thing is a big pile of S.h.1.t. you wana get yourself a router by netgear or belkin or D link. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=951446&category_oid=

I think thats the model i have, it took about 5 mins to set up and is a good price. there are other models similar to it but basicly that will do the job perfectly and u can connect using airport or wire it via the ethernet port!

Hope thats of help. if the link dies or nething liek that just search "netgear" on PCworld.co.uk and then find a router. easy peasy. :D

Sacred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Getting a friend to give me a lift to Tescos :rolleyes: as they might have an ethernet//wireless modem in their electronics department. If they don't I'll see if I can get him to drive to the local PC World

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
There are drivers available for the Speedtouch Modem for the Mac whether they work on Intel I'm not sure, though they do work with PPC. You can get them here. I'm assuming you have a speedtouch 330, which is the standard ADSL modem they give out in the UK, I have used one when my router went down.

Sacred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Eraserhead said:
There are drivers available for the Speedtouch Modem for the Mac whether they work on Intel I'm not sure, though they do work with PPC. You can get them here. I'm assuming you have a speedtouch 330, which is the standard ADSL modem they give out in the UK, I have used one when my router went down.

I've just downloaded the latest drivers, put them onto my phone and bluetoothed them over. Come up with some error saying it cant be installed on this mac :confused:

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Don't know if this you've it this way, but make sure you run the .pkg file first.

edit: nevermind, didn't see the other icon was an uninstaller.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Are these the files you got? In a folder called "WebUpgrade_MacOSX(TIGER)_USB_R3"

Attachments

• Bilde 9.png
    Bilde 9.png
    15 KB · Views: 55

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Looks like a fine choice, you should have no problem connecting all of the computers in your place using it. Let us know if you have problems after it arrives.

Cheers

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
@ Sacred. I'm not sure which version of the SpeedTouch modem you have but a look at the SpeedTouch website http://www.speedtouch.com/support.htm shows that their doesn't seem to be a driver upgrade for Intel Macs unfortunately. There is one for Tiger but I'm pretty sure its PPC only. You best would be a Combined Wireless ADSL Modem/Router as stated before.

Sacred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
gauchogolfer said:
Looks like a fine choice, you should have no problem connecting all of the computers in your place using it. Let us know if you have problems after it arrives.

Cheers

Will do :)

(and if its anything like a windows computer with new hardware I'm sure I'll have problems)

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Sacred said:
Will do :)

(and if its anything like a windows computer with new hardware I'm sure I'll have problems)

I would actually be surprised if you had the same problems as you do on windows. Just plug the phone line into the router, plug the ethernet cable into the MBP.

Go to system prefs ->network -> show: built-in ethernet. Under TCP/IP make sure it says 'configure using DHCP' (this should be the default, but you might have changed it with your current difficulties). This should have you all sorted.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Sacred said:
Can someone link me to a wireless router that will work with a Mac and a PC and will arrive with me tomorrow morning. (can't drive so can't get to a local store, I live in a small mining village near Durham and its miles away from anything)

Amazon

Search for 'Router' and make sure it has a built in MODEM.

arcsbite

Jan 14, 2006
We're on virgin.net and were sent that EXACT usb modem.
couldn't get it working on my iMac or my iBook.
I called and complained and was told it was not compatible with macs.

I pointed out that the vigin.net website says the service is fine with macs, they said it was, as long as I bought a Speedtouch wireless router that was available for purchse at the time of sign up.
no one ever told me that.

I went nuts.
they mailed me the router next day for free.

Not sure if tesco have the option, but call them and yell.
good luck

riko

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
Glasgow area, Scotland
In case anyone finds this thread in the future I'll point out that the Thomson/Alcatel speedtouch USB modems are NOT compatible with any Intel based macs.

From the faq's on http://www.speedtouch.co.uk

Does the SpeedTouch 330 support dual processor Apple Mac's running OSX?
Yes, driver version 3.01.14 adds support for dual processor Apple Mac's under OSX. (Note: The SpeedTouch 330 does not support any Intel based Apple Mac) This can be downloaded from the SpeedTouch 330 driver and documentation page.

But it will work with a PPC mac. Unfortunately there are still many ISP's in the UK that only supply the USB modem with their broadband service but thankfully this is getting less common with more ISP's trying to get new customers by offering wireless options.

Riko

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.