Just got my new ipad...any advice?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KingKen1986, Oct 20, 2012.

1. KingKen1986 macrumors regular

KingKen1986

Hi, I'm usually active in the PowerPC forum as I love my powermac g5. Anywho as the title says I just picked up a 16 gig 3rd generation ipad. I absolutely love it but am fairly new to iOS 6....I was wondering any of you have advice or can explain some of the cool features that it can do.:D:apple::D

2. mhilferty108 macrumors newbie

1.) Read everything else in this iPad forum.
    2.) Get in your mode of transportation.
    3.) Return your iPad.
    4.) Wait until Tuesday.

3. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

4. Che Castro macrumors 603

5. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Just sent mine back to Apple for a refund. Waiting for the Revised New iPad, hoping for an A6 upgrade.

6. bimmerboii macrumors member

7. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

? Can re buy anytime..

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Man u guys are brutal. LOL.

IOTOH gonna assume he knows what's what and prefers the regular iPad.

Features: Just start playing with it man, that's how. And iPad is meant to be touched, not to be learned.

9. KingKen1986 thread starter macrumors regular

KingKen1986

I got this before the new release on purpose.....this ipad will dock to my powermac G5.....the revised version will not.... I am an IT by profession so yes I know just a little about my new pad.

10. phrk, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012

phrk macrumors member

Not gonna happen. New Dockconnector and new LTE capabilities.

On Topic:

You can use your iPad for reading ebooks or magazines. Try iBooks, Stanza, Kindle App.
    You can watch your favorite TV-Shows. Purchase them over iTunes or watch them on Netflix if that's possible in you country.
    You can play games. There are even some classic games available like Monkey Island or Broken Sword.
    You can listen to music, podcasts and radio.
    You can use imo, Skype, Messages and Facetime for chatting.

A really nice tool for using your iPad is GoodReader. It is really easy to send files through your Network to the iPad with it. Also it is possible to download and unzip files with it.

And there is so much more to explore. Just use it and you will get to know all the cool stuff you can do with your iPad.

11. KingKen1986 thread starter macrumors regular

KingKen1986

Thank you for those who aren't being pricks. I was simply wanting to learn something that I maybe didn't know about my new pad. But after most of the reply's I have gotten I think I'm going to stick to my PowerPC forum. I do appreciate those that did not put me down.

12. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Returning it and waiting for Tuesday is the only logical solution Good luck!

13. bristleworm macrumors 6502

bristleworm

Congratulations on your new device. Enjoy it!

These forums can be brutal and I don't have an explanation for it…

I started to put all users posting stuff like that on an ignore list. I know it's quite time consuming, but in the end it makes the experience here better.

Back to topic:
    Possibilites with the iPad are nearly unlimited. It all depends on what you want to do with it.
    Here are some of the apps I like:
    Angry Birds HD: Great game on the bigger screen.
    Calculator HD: As iOS on the iPad doesn't include a calculator I had to look for a third party solution.
    iOutBank: great online banking solution
    Wikipanion and the imdb.com app for nearly all my research.
    Dropbox
    Evernote
    and of course: Pages, Numbers, Keynote

14. NotAdvisable macrumors regular

NotAdvisable

Whom / where did you learn this from?
    Why can't the lightning connector connect to a Powermac G5?

My friends iPhone 5 connects and syncs to his G5 just fine...

15. bristleworm macrumors 6502

bristleworm

I'm not sure about this, but afaik the iPhone 5 requires iTunes 10.7, which itself requires OS X 10.6, which does not run on PowerPCs, doesn't it?
    So how does this work?

16. KingKen1986 thread starter macrumors regular

KingKen1986

The PowerPC recognizes the lightning connector but like you say you need 10.7 to dock. There is a way around this but it requires quite a bit of programing knowledge from what I have heard. Maybe his friend has figured out a way around this......but I would rather stay 100 percent compatible with my trusty G5. You cannot download 10.7 onto a PowerPC as the highest OS you can run is 10.5.8

17. jumpmandds macrumors regular

A new full sized refreshed iPad 3 isn't set in stone yet why no leaks like everything else apple puts out these days?

18. palpatine macrumors 68040

There are too many wonderful things going on with Mountain Lion, and I would sure hate to miss out on a new processor with the iPad, so it seems to me that an MBA and iPad combination would be best :)

Seriously, the MBA is a dream come true, and I love the iPad. I can't imagine going back to previous operating systems. It's just too nice.

19. KingKen1986 thread starter macrumors regular

KingKen1986

Can someone even tell me where they are getting the info for the revised ipad 3.....because so far I haven't really found a reputable source for this upgrade.

20. palpatine macrumors 68040

it's macrumors. no one knows anything. however, i think it is always good to hold off on purchases in the weeks before an apple announcement. you just never know. if you want to read rumors, see the buyer's guide tab at the top of the page.

21. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

There's no reputable info until Apple releases it themselves. Enjoy your new iPad I love mine. What do you plan to use it for? PS Touch, and Pages have been 2 very useful apps for me. Theres a wealth of knowledge out there, never mind everyone else, and enjoy your new iPad. :cool:

22. KingKen1986 thread starter macrumors regular

KingKen1986

I'm using it for some of the killer games that are out. I also am using it for some minor photo editing, I use my G5 for my major editing. And as the more I use it the more I realise the possibilities are endless.....that's what I love about it.....who knows what I'll be doing on it in the future.

23. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

is the reason you can't intsall 10.7 because of the new connector, or because iOS 6 requires 10.7? (if it's the latter issue, you're stuck unable to update :p)

24. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

And repeat weekly until the iPad 4 is out next June? What about the iPad after that?

Seriously guys, it's a new charger connector. No need to return your iPad unless you have OCD about having the 'latest device' (in which case prepare to be skint for a long time, and never buy a car because then it could get really expensive!)

25. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I would just wait a few days. An update is probably coming, and even if it's very little I bet you wouldn't like having an "old" gadget the week after you bought it. :)