Just got my ntMBP, uneven screen color and brightness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

So I was afraid this would happen. I got a brand new ntMBP not long ago and I LOVED it. Unfortunatley, the screen started flickering! And based on the advice here, I decided to return it.

I thought I could do without one, but the other day I decided I really wanted one so I ordered a refurb one from the Apple site.

It just came, and well from the thread title you can see my dissapointment. I was so excited, I even got overnight shipping :(

The top third of the screen is kind of reddish, the right top is a little darker, it's just uneven.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

If you're not too far from an Apple Store, just take it in and exchange it. No questions asked. (You got it from Apple, I think.)

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

I feel guilty exchanging it out like that. I mean, it must cost apple money. What if the next one has a bad screen or starts flickering? Then do I return it again? Seems unfair for me to do that so many times.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 24, 2017 ---
    I'm doing a software update now. Maybe that will fix it!!!

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Yes, return it until you get one that you're satisfied with. You paid for a 14-day no-questions-asked return period. It's not unfair if you have a reasonable complaint. You can examine a replacement laptop in the store if it isn't convenient to get there.

5. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

I did the software update and no luck. I'm going to see if I get used to this screen or not for maybe a week. Otherwise I'll see what to do. I might just return it and get an awesome sound setup instead. Or I might just be like you know what, this ntMBP is too good, it's worth the embarassment/hassle of returning it again and getting another one.

EDIT: OR I might just get used to this screen and everyone lives happily ever after lol

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

For goodness' sake, just return the darn thing and get a new one already! :p

7. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

I don't think you can exchange refurbished MacBooks at Apple stores. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

8. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Oh, right, forgot it was a refurb. Still can be returned, but an exchange would be tricky, probably. Would depend on what Apple has in stock, I suppose.

9. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

As far as I know, Apple doesn't stock refurbs at their retail stores. Refurbished computers come from a whole different division of Apple. However, they might take sympathy on you and exchange it for a brand new one. Only way to find out is to pay one of their stores a visit. Or, like someone else said, just send it back and order another one. Apple pays shipping both ways, so it's not like you're out anything other than time.

10. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

You could always take it to the Apple Store, show it to one of their techs, and ask if they think this is acceptable quality for a brand new or brand new refurb machine? If they say "no", you could explain how this is your second MBP, that you like the computer, but have been inconvenienced by this, and ask really nicely if they would be willing to exchange it for a new machine if they do not stock a refurb so that you can then inspect it/do initial setup in the store before accepting it. They might say no but it couldn't hurt to ask or even just give AppleCare a call to see.

Have you already attempted calibration?
    https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19044?locale=en_US

11. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah, or maybe they could just take it in without the condescending attitude, as Apple will sort it out all the same.

12. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Right, what I mean is that returning it for exchange to Apple would depend on what they have in stock.

13. ZapNZs, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017

ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Perhaps online my wording did not convey the way I meant it to.

When I say ask them if it is acceptable quality, I mean exactly that, in a neutral sense, asking a question without sarcasm implied. They are the technicians, they represent those who make it, they would know what constitutes normal variation, and they may know why it appears that way (and how to fix it.)

If someone has an uncertainty or an issue with my services, I would like them to show me what is in question, ask me directly if their experience meets my quality standard, and give me the opportunity to make an appropriate response. If it turns out I was the one who dropped the ball, then my immediate priority is to make it right by accommodating that customer's needs. But I can't do that if someone doesn't ask.

14. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

I feel pretty bad today y'all. But I'll just take it in I guess.

I kind of regret not keeping my old one and just getting it fixed by the Apple Store. But at the same time no way I want a defective machine literally 2 days after buying it.

I don't know. I'll probably feel a lot better after going to bed and waking up in the morning.

15. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had to return my first one for the same problem :(

Not the best day :(

16. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Oh boy, you do seem to have the worst of luck! :(

Well, I suppose you'll be familiar with the guys at the Apple Store. All you can do is laugh sometimes. Don't worry, you'll have yet another Mac before you know it. :)

17. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Strange. Two units with the same issue. At least your covered and within your 14 days.

18. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. Yeah it's fine. I'll just take it in and see what they say. I hope they have a refurb in store they can switch out rather than me returning and ordering another one.

19. ILUVAPPLE69 macrumors member

ILUVAPPLE69

I was getting a flickering screen on my 13" 2015 rMBP on an external monitor connected by display port. I switched to the other display port connector on the rMBP and it went away.

20. jerryk macrumors 68030

Looks like a sync issue. Are you using an video camera to record the screen? Or are those still images?

21. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

1) The screen flickers.

2) I quickly pull out my iPhone and take a video.

3) Then I scrub to the point where it flickers

4) screen shot

5) upload photos on here.

22. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

I have news that is both good and bad. I don't think this is a hardware issue.

I vaguely recall you mentioning you use FF. Are you by chance using FireFox when this happens? There is a known screen flicker issue with it where the bottom half of the screen flickers when viewing videos in full screen mode, and it is especially pronounced with YT videos. Mozilla is yet to fix this problem with their current stable build.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1336797

23. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes I'm using firefox, but this doesn't happen on my late 2013. If it's in fact not the computer, THEN I'M REALLY ******* ****** OFF THAT I RETURNED MY PREVIOUS ONE! I LOVED THAT COMPUTER THE SCREEN WAS PERFECT!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

24. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

I'm sorry to say that, if the screen flicker you had was identical on your last one, it probably was not caused by hardware failure, but rather a software compatibility issue that seems to be limited to the 2016 MacBook Pro (which is why you don't have it with your 2013) - it seems almost certain Mozilla will fix the issue in future releases, and developer builds may already have a preliminary fix that they are seeding for general release.

Did calibrating the display help your current one look any better?

25. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Could always try google chrome or another browser. See if you get the same flicker behavior. Quick way to see if browser specific issue.