Just got my unlocked iPhone 4s from Apple, is this normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seasurfer, Nov 30, 2011.

1. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

I just got it yesterday, I was so happy.

Not surprising, I found the battery draining pretty fast.

When I open the phone it is already at 57%, I didn't charge it to full as I decided to drain it first.

Battery is not much a problem if I keep it on standby, what is really concerning is when I use the phone on wifi or just reading iBooks with wifi and 3G off. As long as I am using the phone, the battery is like draining 1% every 7-8 mins. Is this normal? I used it on and off for about 2 hours and it dropped like 35%. ( I have my wifi and 3G turned off), my screen is set at almost the highest brightness.

I just feel that the battery is draining way much faster than my iPad 2. I can play with my iPad 2 for the entire day at all time before the battery get drained. This does not seem possible with the new iPhone 4s.

2. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

your screen set at the highest brightness will play a big part. the screen uses up a lot of the battery. but you said while using your phone it drops 1% every 7 min? that's about 11 1/2 hours of battery while in use... and that's above what its advertised for (other than listening to music which doesn't use the screen)

as for the ipad 2, you can't really compare them, they don't have the same battery. ipad 2 is advertized to last longer while in use.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

There are already a ton of threads about this. It's normal for some 4S's and Apple is working on a fix.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because I like it bright.

----------

Today, I used it to surf the internet, alternating between wifi and EDGE (I am testing t-moblie unlimited prepaid plan), my battery drop from 48% to 1% in 2 hours.

This is really bad...that means I can't really surf the net without the need to worry about my battery.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well if you do like it that bright then why are you complain about battery life?
    Its a trade off.
    I want the lights on 24/7 and my electric bill to be low too:D

7. Brazzy macrumors regular

8. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

You can't on iOS 5+

9. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

It's draining 1 percent every 7-8 minutes? Thats actually good compared to what others are experiencing. I get 1 percent drop every 2:30 minutes. The iPad battery is amazing how long it lasts, but its probably 3 times bigger than the iPhone battery so its not even comparable.

10. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Yes you can:
    Setting > General > Network > Enable 3G (or not)

11. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't turn it off. Because tmobile 4G is not supported on I phone, therefore it is automatically switched to 2G. (It is damn slow, after this month, I am not going to use t-mobile EDGE). :D

12. iphone4s16gb macrumors 6502

good luck , apple can't fix this , until they replace new battery on next iphone

13. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

You need to charge it to full so the percentage is accurate. It needs to be calibrated.

Happens a bunch for laptops too. The 58% is an estimate. Charge the thing overnight or for several hours so the thing is at 100% and leave it go another 30-60 minutes. This will be a true "100%" charge. After that, see what happens with the percentages.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yeah that's why when I plugged my phone into the charger last night it was at 8%... after 6hr 45min usage and 1day 6hr standby. Usage included an hour of phone calls using bluetooth, wifi on all the time, and at least 5 hours of internet streaming music playing over Airplay.

Simply terrible. :rolleyes:

15. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Glad I'm not the only one getting ~6hrs of usage with a bunch of stuff going on with the phone during the day. It's actually kicking the crap out of my old android phone for battery life.

16. chrfr macrumors 603

Not on a 4s.

17. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

You really can't turn off 3G on the 4S? Please tell you're kidding!

18. WilliamG macrumors G3

Sadly not kidding.

19. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

You can turn off the cellular data all together. Why is turning off 3G important? Does edge consume a lot less power than 3G?

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

I was being sarcastic...

Within the 30 hours off-charger, I had 80 minutes of phone calls using bluetooth headset, five hours streaming internet music to an Airplay device, and all the other usual stuff I do on the phone.

In my case, the phone lasts all day; I typically put it on the charger before going to bed. I've not seen a discernible difference in battery life from my iPhone4. Since these #'s match up reasonably to the published specs, I'm satisfied.

From Apple:
    • Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM)
    • Internet use: Up to 6 hours on 3G, up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi

Granted, some people have a serious battery drain problem, I don't mean to say that's not real in their situation, but it is NOT universal[/URL]. I was contextually responding to iphone4s16gb (see the user's post history and draw your own conclusions). Perhaps he or she is one of the 4%.

21. CoachStall macrumors 6502

CoachStall

Guessing...yes?

22. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

cant sorry

23. djuzi05 macrumors regular

Lol Nice screen name. Tap, Tap, Pull;)

24. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Talking time up to 8 hours non stop, I highly doubt it. Though I never tested it.

WiFi for 9 hours is definitely impossible, this one I can attest to it. It can only last at most 6 hours of WiFi surfing. iPad2 can last up 11 hours.