Just got my wife's phone back via 'Find My iPhone'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by globalwidget, Mar 15, 2011.

1. globalwidget macrumors newbie

Long story short(er):
    -Wife at work can't find phone. "Is it at home?"
    -Call phone. No answer.
    -Fire up 'Find My iPhone'. Look like it's in her car in the lot, Humbolt Park Chicago.
    -"I searched my car, but oh well I'll get it later."
    -She calls again about 1/2 hour later, still can't find it after looking again.
    -I look again at FMI and it has moved a few miles! Now I'm upset she lost her phone out of her oh-so-loose mesh backpack pocket I'm always warning her about and somebody has obviously picked it up.
    -I pack up our baby and head out in my car to track it down wondering what am I going to do if I find some young thugs in a sketchy neighborhood...
    -After getting within about 12 blocks heading north through Cicero and Belmont, the signal goes dead. "Great" they've turned it off. Time to give up and get a doughnut to soothe my anger/nerves. I lock the iPhone remotely in case they turn it on or reactivate location services. Probably should have done that immediately.
    -On a hunch I look again after my doughnut break. Haha! It's back and not moving. I head to the location near Cicero and Irving Park. Nothing is around but a small businesses and a small apartment building. Baby's getting hungry. Phone not moving. What to do?
    -The signal seems very accurate so I make my best guess and go into the small business. There are three old guys waiting and a receptionist. It's very noisy. I hit the 'Send Message/Sound' button. I think I hear something, but it's hard to tell. I walk around. People look at me oddly. I swear it's coming from one of the old guy's backpacks but... I say, "Is that your phone ringing?" and I get a shrug. Still not sure if the sounds I'm hearing are the iPhone or just some other phone. Sound stops after about one full minute. I reactivate "Send message/Sound" and sure enough the sound come back almost immediately, definitely from the middle guy's backpack. Now, more firmly I say, "I think you have my phone in your backpack. Do you have a pink iPhone?" Now he opens up the pack and gets out the phone and hands it to me. I say thank you, ask where he got it. He looks to the receptionist and she asks him again in Polish. He says, "Humbolt Park". I leave, just happy to have it, not wanting to linger for whatever reason.
    -Now I suppose he might have returned it on his own. Maybe he was waiting to show someone more English proficient and have them call/return it. I'd like to think so but... either way, I'm glad that we had Find My iPhone activated on the phone; and that he was about 65 years old and not 20, large and tough.

2. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Wow, great story. Gutsy, but I'm glad it worked out.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Good to hear a story about success and Find My iPhone.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Glad it worked out.
    When they don't know what to say or in a tough spot they always act like they don't understand English.
    Find my iPhone is great to have.

5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

This should become an Apple commercial.
    That guy was trying to steal it, good thing you didn't make a big deal though.

6. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

True. All these stories are great.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Polish people?

8. stev3n macrumors 6502

9. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not just Polish, in general.

11. Psood21 macrumors member

And this whole time baby was alone in the car???????:confused:

12. Rickity Rick macrumors member

I like how the baby adds some comic relief to this story. But I'm glad you found your iPhone through Find My iPhone! :)

13. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

14. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

LOL at the guy pretending not to speak English

But really, I'm glad you got your wife's phone back; this is a reminder to turn on my location services!

15. snakelda macrumors 6502

16. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Hahaha

17. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Great story! Funny to see the old guy trying to bluff his way out of it :D

18. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

Good Story man. Glad you got it back. It can be a real pain to loose one of these smart phones that have half you life loaded into them.

19. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I live right by Irving Park and Cicero. Very helpful to speak Polish in this neighborhood.

20. techkidd4400 macrumors regular

This was bold and probably not recommended, but the outcome was great. I am also glad to hear Find My iphone works well.

21. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

By the way, this story inspired me to finally enable the Find My iPhone feature on my phone. I hadn't done it yet, so thank you.

22. dgamer84 macrumors regular

Good ending to a story. Got to say not a smart idea to take your baby while looking for a supposedly stolen iphone.

23. Micjose macrumors member

Fantastic event there mate. Glad you retrieved you iphone and everyone is now happy :D

24. violetp macrumors newbie