Just Got Nike+, Few Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by macjram, Jun 27, 2009.

1. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

I just bought the Nike+ Sensor for my iPhone 3Gs, and I had a few questions.

1a. Should I put it to sleep after every run so I can save battery? I heard people just leave it on, but just wondering.
    1b. How do I know if the sensor is awake or if it is asleep?

2. I don't want to buy the Nike+ shoes, and I know there are ways of connecting it to your shoelaces. I was wondering, what if I just put it underneath the sole of my ASICs? Or is that a dumb idea.

3. Should I use the Nike + iPod APP or do you recommend that Runkeeper APP? I've searched but can't come to a conclusion.

4. When not using the Nike + iPod App, should I turn it off under settings to save battery, or is it safe to leave it on?

Can't wait to test this thing out ! Haha.

2. [G5]Hydra macrumors regular

Motion/impact sets it off. You don't need to put it to sleep. If you have a pair of shoes dedicated to running just leave it in there. If you have prolonged periods of no runs then sure you could put it to sleep. If you use the same shoes for running and also for day to day wear I would take the sensor out as your walking will constantly keep the sensor active thereby wasting the battery.

Do an Amazon search for "Marware Sportsuit Sensor Case for Nike +" it is a little $9 holder for the sensor to attach it to your laces. I also saw on YouTube a guy who took a simple zip-lock sandwich bag with the sensor in it folded over and over till it made a long strip that he inserted between the laces and tongue of his shoe. It isn't a dumb idea but there is some debate about it affecting accuracy but unless you are a competitive runner who really cares right? There is also a set of insoles I have seen which is made to put the Nike+ sensor under your foot but they are expensive at around $50 but that is more than you could probably find a set of Nike+ shoes somewhere.

I like the Nike app. Runkeeper is nice but it gives tons of info that is probably not all that necessary for anyone not really in competitive training. I like Nike's site, even though it is heavy on flash, and the whole community etc. That said I wouldn't be surprised if Nike or one of its competitors scoops up Runkeeper. If Nike incorporated Runkeeper or even just copies most of it it would be a pretty impressive tool. All they are missing is a heart-rate monitor.

In theory it is using a BT-like radio receiver so it probably is using a little juice when idle too but I don't see any drastic drain leaving it on. There is no harm in turning the app off either. When you re-enable it all your settings and workout data is still there, it isn't like deleting an app and reinstalling it later.

3. macjram thread starter macrumors 6502a

macjram

Thanks [G5]Hydra ! You answered all of my questions, haha. Very useful, I appreciate it :D

4. [G5]Hydra macrumors regular

No problem. Another accessory to consider is a Nike+ AMP watch and newer Watchremote. I found I don't love handling my 3GS with my sweaty paws while running and you can only start and stop stuff with the buttons on the headphones and change volume. Two features I really love that can't be done on the headphone controls are the spoken feedback and the ability to invoke your power song to give a little boost when needed. The Nike+ AMP and the newer Watchremote allow control of those functions right from your wrist. Just be careful with the batteries, I got the older AMP watch on clearance and the battery was low enough to make the wireless functions not work so well. A new battery and all is working as it is supposed to.