Just got off the phone w/ Apple Rep....is it true?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ballnluv23, Apr 12, 2008.

1. ballnluv23 macrumors newbie

I'm going to be buying a new Macbook Pro in the coming week, and I was asking him about upgrading to 4GB or RAM........He stated that it is better just to go with the 2GB of RAM that the MBP is shipped out with, and THEN at a later date IF I needed the extra RAM, that I could take out the existing RAM and install 2 2GB of RAM......

Which is better?:

1. To immediately upgrade to 4GB of RAM?

2. To use the MBP's RAM that it comes with....and then at a later date (months/years later), to upgrade to 4GB of RAM at that time?

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

NEVER buy extra ram from apple. they charge hundreds of dollars more for ram versus buying from a 3rd party. If you want 4gb of ram get it, but don't buy from apple. companies like Macsales, crucial, and new egg are places to look.

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

what he says is true. Awesome to see that Customer Service is actually customer oriented! Not trying to score an extra buck off em.. :)

4. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Yes, he speaks the truth. Upgrading RAM as an Apple BTO option is the most expensive way on the planet to add RAM to your machine.

5. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

that employee should be fired in all honesty. You have a customer looking to upgrade his ram and you tell him not to do it? If I was his supervisor I would term him on the spot.

Also, before you flame, im thinking from a company standpoint. Apple doesnt twist your arm to upgrade, infact they try to almost make it more difficult and pricey as to avoid the "your way any way" deal.

If that employee worked at McDonlads and he talked a customer out of fries and a combo would he stay employed?

6. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Apple RAM is the biggest rip-off in the history of the world.

But as a shareholder you should buy it.

7. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I always buy computers with the minimum RAM available. Companies like Apple buy futures in RAM so they are guaranteed a steady supply. The down side of that is their RAM is more expensive as they don't benefit from falling prices as quickly.

You can get the exact same RAM Apple uses from third party sellers. OWC for example sells their own branded RAM, but for a bit more you can get the Samsung or Micron OEM RAM Apple uses, but it is still much cheaper than getting it from Apple. I just paid $129 for a matched pair of 2 GB memory modules for my MBP (4GB total). The OWC RAM was around $100.

The Apple rep did the right thing.

8. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

apparently none of these people read your post...so allow me to give you the answer you wanted...yes, upgrade to 4gb (not from apple of course), its cheap (around 75 dollars) and you will get the most speed our of your machine for doing multiple tasks, if you really want to see a big speed increase, sure, wait a few months, get used to using the machine with only 2gb then when you go to 4 you will notice a big increase, but OSX likes 4gb the more memory you can throw at it the better

i dont think an extra 2gb of DDR2 ram was EVER $400...

9. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

?????

If a customer asks if he needs more RAM (perhaps outlining the specific usage he has in mind for his computer) and the employee tells him the amount already installed might well be sufficient, you think he should be fired?

Should an employee be fired for telling someone a Macbook is sufficient for their needs, and not upselling them to a Macbook Pro?

I'm glad you aren't responsible for staff training at Apple Stores!!

10. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Not all RAM is created equal. I recommend not going too cheap by buying the cheapest RAM, or memory test the hell out of it if you do. I have had problems doing that in the past.

Go for Crucial, OWC, Samsung, Micron, etc. Reputable name brands. Using sub-par RAM is more trouble than it's worth if you get flakey, unexplainable behavior. Good RAM can mean a more stable system.

11. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I hope he doesn't work in Apple sales period. I hope he doesn't work anywhere else I do business.

Maybe he works at Best Buy. They seem to have that mentality -- sell the customer what BB needs to make better profit (like Monster cables), not what the customer needs (something way cheaper and just as good if not better).

12. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

or Verizon:eek:

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Actually, I was in a AppleStore here in Osaka and someone there asked about upgrading too and to my suprise the guy at the Genius Bar said the same thing...

then he says...

It's nice to hear Genius's and Apple Staff, telling the truth for a change..

:D

14. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

apparently they dont make commission off of the sale

15. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Man, it's cheaper to invest the R&D to reproduce the technology, build the plant, make 2x2 GB DIMMs, and then sell the old RAM and the plant on eBay than it is to buy RAM from Apple as a BTO.

16. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

I know when I was pricing up my 2.2 MBP (here in the UK) the 'upgrade' from the standard 2GB of RAM to 4GB of RAM at that time was over £250 extra) (which I think is about $500 US?)

I bought the MBP with the standard 2GB, and then bought 4GB of Crucial RAM afterwards for £58 (about $120 US).

17. jonnos macrumors regular

yup thats what i did last week. ive owned this penryn mbp for a couple of weeks now and i just upgraded the ram myself from 2gb to 2x2gb of kingston kta-mb667k2/4g for $132 AUD prob will sell the older ram later but im keeping it for now incase i run into some problems with the new ram.

18. stephapple macrumors newbie

1. As everyone else above has stated do NOT upgrade your RAM through Apple and just stick with the default 2GB.

2. Only upgrade you're RAM if you; a.) Play Graphics Intensive Games, b.) Use Virtual Machines, c.) Use Photo Editing software and d.) Use Video Rendering Software.

Otherwise there is absolutely no reason to upgrade because for most users, 2GB is more than enough.

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I have to disagree with this. I worked for a major electronics retailer for many years and if there was a way to save the customer money, even if it meant getting from somewhere else if we could not price match it I encouraged the employee to help save the customer money. Why? Because if they found out it was cheaper somewhere else or there was a cheaper solution we got a return, second, the customer really appreciates what you are doing and will return. How would you feel if you are the customer? Wouldn't you be happy someone was looking out for you?

Successful businesses are more then just earning money, its creating a trusting customer base.

20. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Integrity drives business growth. Greed doesn't.

21. kwfl macrumors 6502

we are thiking from a customer standpoint. it is a bit different especially when the stuff you wanna buy is overpriced.

22. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

can i do business with your company?:D
    or why not, let's build a new one:)

23. mox123 macrumors 6502

is there a market for those two 1GB RAM sticks that u throw out after getting two 2GB sticks?

it'd be a total waste, not to mention being bad to the environment, if we do....

24. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Yes. Put it up on Craiglist and it will be gone in no time. You won't get more than $40-50 or so, but it's easy-peasy money.

25. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

IMHO, doing right by the customer IS thinking about it from a company standpoint! :D